• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

recommendations for a 'starter' package?

NordicG3K

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Southern Oregon
I'm looking to get into long range shooting and would like some recommendations for a 'starter' bolt gun/optics package. (Yes, I've already searched a number of threads here and while there's a lot of good information it can tend to be rather conflicting at times.)

I don't shoot competitively, so this rig would primarily be used for informal target shooting as well as dealing with a few pesky long range 'yotes.

This will be a 'learning gun' and while it doesn't need to be bargain basement, I don't want to start out dumping a thick roll of bills on anything until I've gained some experience on what works and doesn't work for me. As far as caliber, I already load for .30-06 and .308, but I'm tempted to try out the .260 Remington.

If anyone knows of any good reference books or online tutorials I would appreciate a point in the right direction. I freely admit that I'm a novice in this area, but I want to be a 'learn to be' and not a 'wannabe.' Thanks in advance.

Michael

Re: recommendations for a 'starter' package?

For a starter LR Package I would say Savage M10 or Rem 700 several models depending on what you want to spend. .308 is a great caliber and you allready load for it. I have one and love it but I REALLY love my .260. It's awesome. Optics.mmm, I like NightForce but Leupold would be a tad cheaper. Super sniper and bushnell have tactical scopes under that range as well. I say go for NF (buy once cry once) but thats on you. Others should post and prob will have more knowledge on this than myself. Good luck with whatever you get.

best starter package to me savage 10 in a5 mcmillan with a custom barrel (my preference is benchmark barrels but most customs will be great). the 260 is a great cartridge for both beginners and experts. find yourself an 8 twist some 139gr scenars and send it!!! oh don't forget the h4350 you'll need lots of it. to me best basic scope is a leupold with tmr reticle and target turrets. if you need less expensive opt for the savage precision carbine and rebarrel.

just my .02cents

NordicG3K,

Everybody gonna have there own idea's, here's mine:

Rifles: Choose one

Rem 700 LTR 308 around $925
Rem 700 XTR Compact 308 around $1100.
Rem 700 5R Milspec 308 around $975.

Without belaboring a point, a Remington 700 is a solid start. Any of the three will work, and work well. All three will shoot well, right out of the box. Why a 308? Because it's easy, it will give you experience and it will be accurate. Why not a 260, well because Remington does not make a 260 in any of those rifles. Re-barreling any of the above to a 260 will cost you another $700. or so.

Scopes: Choose one

Super Sniper 10x HD MIL/MIL
Bushnell 3-12x44 FFP Illuminated MIL/MIL
Vortex PST 4-16 FFP Illuminated MIL/MIL

All three of those scopes are in the $700-800ish range, will provide you a good value, and allow you to shoot and learn. By buying an FFP MIL/MIL scope now, means not having to re-learn new things when you decide to upgrade. Are there better scopes sure, but "better" in this context means starting price north of $1500. There is nothing better scope wise between $800ish and $1500.

In addition, you will need rings, bases, bipod, rear bag or rest, a Mildot Master, data book, ammo and time to go shoot.

Anything else is just gravy, add as you need it.

Bob

i also live in oregon, and this is a great place to shoot! I have a remington 700 5r mil spec in .308, sense im pretty new to lr shotting i didnt want to spend too much on optics so i bought a bushenll 6-24x50 4200elite i think they retail for like 650$ I put a badger bolt knob on mine a egw 20moa rail wtih leupold rings, and a blackhawk cheek rest i also have a bi-pod and all the other junk. Im into it maybe 1800$ and it shoots good out to 800yds which is the farthest i've been able to shoot, it's my first lr gun and once i have more money i plan to put a detchable box magazine system in it, thread my barrel for a fte muzzle break. Anyways there is alot you can do to them they're super fun!

I recommended NF because of the NPR1. It is a very simple scope. I personaly don't like Mills. I think MOA is much easier and simple. But thats me. I started with mills cuz allot of guys used it shot with MOA and I will never go back.For rifles, like I said depending on what you want to spend the sky is the limit. A remmy 700 SPS tactical is a great start for lttle money. And you can upgrade it very easily. SPS tactical in .308+a NF NXS scope over a 20 MOA base= BADASS starter rig

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Yes, I've already searched a number of threads here and while there's a lot of good information it can tend to be rather conflicting at times.)</div></div>

What makes you think there won't be conflicting information in a new thread?

Back when STP got me out to shooting 1000yd F Class at Bodines, we organized a bunch of new LR F Class shooters, mostly bringing them into the fold with a loaner rifle. It was a box-stock Savage 112BVSS chambered with the .308 cartridge. Load was the standard/basic 175SMK/45.0gr Varget in commercial brass. It did the job admirably for probably somwhere around a dozen shooters until the hook took hold and they got their own gear. Mounts were Burris Signature 'Zee' rings and a Ken Farrel 20MOA base. I'd suggest a Weaver V-24 or V-16 Scope for starts.

Greg

PS, I'd not call this a 'walkabout rifle', but for stationary shooting it's my best suggestion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Yes, I've already searched a number of threads here and while there's a lot of good information it can tend to be rather conflicting at times.)</div></div>

What makes you think there won't be conflicting information in a new thread? </div></div>

Ha, good point! Well at least it will all be in one place.

Figure out what your comfortable spending, including optics, mounts, rings etc and there is a rifle that fits the bill. I started out with a Remington SPS Tactical in .308 for $550 shipped. There are some you can get cheaper, and a slew you can get more expensive than that. Whatever you decide on, don't cheap out on the optics, you'll regret it.

Kelly

The .30-'06 and .260 both have LR ballistic advantages over the .308. All will profit from judicious handloading but I think you can wring more out of the .260 and .30-'06.

I am currently in the early stages of development using the .280 Rem chambering. On paper, it has advantage over all three. My shooting so far has been confined to within 250 yd, but the two rifles (Identical Ruger MKI's, except for barrel length/weight; one's a 22" sporter, and the other's a 24" varmint.) shoot very small with both handloads and Hornady Custom 139gr SST factory loads. Early to say, but I think it's well worth exploring the chambering.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .30-'06 and .260 both have LR ballistic advantages over the .308. All will profit from judicious handloading but I think you can wring more out of the .260 and .30-'06.

I am currently in the early stages of development using the .280 Rem chambering. On paper, it has advantage over all three. My shooting so far has been confined to within 250 yd, but the two rifles (Identical Ruger MKI's, except for barrel length/weight; one's a 22" sporter, and the other's a 24" varmint.) shoot very small with both handloads and Hornady Custom 139gr SST factory loads. Early to say, but I think it's well worth exploring the chambering.

Greg </div></div>

Well said Greg.

I shoot my 30-06 with everything from 110 Vmax at varmints all the way up to 208gr Amax pushed to mid/upper 2800's for long range shooting.

I also just built a 7mm/270, which is a ballistic twin to the 280 Rem and I've shot some 120 flat based SSP's at short range with excellent results (it'd make a fantastic varmint load) and 162 Amax and 180 Berger Hybrids at (so far) 600yd with very good accuracy and excellent wind characteristics.

Both chamberings really require good handloading for any of the best results to be had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...there ain't no problem that a man can't fix with $700 and a 30-06... </div></div>

amen.

Okay, so I've been checking out both the Remington website and Gunbroker. Why the big price difference between the XCR/5R and the SPS Tactical? Also, why are there hardly any bolt guns in .260 Remington?

Michael

Here are my picks on high-quality rifles that are not overly expensive, depending on your price range:
- Remington 700 5R Milspec
- Tikka T3 TAC
- FNH SPR
- Steyr SSG

Optics, I also like Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x or 5.5-22x with NP-R1 reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NordicG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, so I've been checking out both the Remington website and Gunbroker. Why the big price difference between the XCR/5R and the SPS Tactical? Also, why are there hardly any bolt guns in .260 Remington?

Michael </div></div>

XCR = Coated stainless steel barrel & Action, 40x trigger, B&C stock, Fluted barrel
LTR = CM barreled action, Mark X pro Trigger, H-S Precision stock, Fluted barrel
5R = Stainless barrel and action, H-S Precision stock, 5R barrel, Mark X Pro trigger
SPS Tactical = CM barreled action, throw-away stock, Mark X Pro trigger.

As to the question as to why there are no heavy barrel factory 260 Rem's, words like clueless come to mind.....

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to the question as to why there are no heavy barrel factory 260 Rem's, words like clueless come to mind.....

Bob </div></div>

Has anyone ever contacted Remington about a group buy? I wonder how many you would have to purchase in order to have a special run made? I would think a limited run of various target/tactical 700s in .260 Remington would be a hot item here.

The .260 Remington rifles have never been big sellers. Remington really screwed up when they intitially released the .260 rifles with a 1:10 twist. Current models sport 1:9 twist. However, this is still lower than preferred for the heavier bullets used in longer range shooting.

This issue is similar to the .243. Both the .260 and .243 are fantastic long-range calibers. However, both are limited in their use when considering factory offerings due to twist rates that are too slow for stabilizing the preferred bullets.

Id figure out what your budget is first. If your looking for a starter package that will get you learning the basics Id grab:

R700 SPS Tactical OR Varmint OR Savage 10FCP series rifle
EGW Base
Burris XTR rings
Bushnell 10x40 scope

Get ammo and shoot. That will get you in the running and can be had for under 1000 USD if you do your homework.

As previously mentioned, budget & research is the key.
If you still have not experienced it yet enough to know that this hobby is a keeper, then you should not go over board with your spending and try to be practical.

My starter package was (new):
>Remington XCR 700 in .308(little over $1K)
Comes with a good stock, Stainless Steel barrel
and a great adjustable trigger.
>Millet TRS-1 4-16X50 (just under $300)
Lifetime Warranty, Glass is not bad at all,
Tracking is on the money
and the clicks are crisp, not sluggish.

I still own this rifle and I love it, specially since it does constant 1/2"MOA @ 100yds.
You also have the alternative of acquiring a used unit at a good price but it would need to come from a good source.
Good luck with your search.

Okay, so far I'm thinking a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x. Now a couple of questions... For the glass, I'm not real clear (no pun intended) on the whole FFP/SFP issue. What advantages am I going to get by spending the extra bucks on a FFP scope? Secondly, from what I've read the SPS tactical is a good rifle for the money, but the stock leaves much to be desired. What's a good starter adjustable stock? Thanks again for the advice guys.

Michael

my first was the savage 12 in choate ultimate sniper stock with a bushnell elite 4200 on it. since then she has been upgraded to a NF 5.5x22 NPR1. paid 750 for the gun and 1400 for scope and rings. It is a great starter I think. I have upgraded with other rifles since but I still got it cuz it was my first. If I could only still have my first piece of ass.

You never said how much money you want to spend.

My 'guesstimate' budget right now is around $1500. I won't buy cheap crap though. If I can't put together a decent starter kit for that I'll just have to be patient and save my pennies.

Michael

5R Milspec with a 10x Super Sniper, Badger rings and base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5R Milspec with a 10x Super Sniper, Badger rings and base. </div></div>

The only quibble might be the scope.

The Falcon is also worth looking at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only quibble might be the scope. The Falcon is also worth looking at. </div></div> Could be: I looked at one, had it for a day or so, and sent it back. That was a while ago, though, and maybe they're better now. You may be right, as I haven't seen a Falcon lately.

I've sent back a few Super Snipers as well, but that was from a bad lot on which the knobs were not cut correctly. The 10x HD SS is OK, but in my opinion it's at a price point too high above the original. The 3-9 SS is FFP, and that's nice, but it tunnels at 3x and it's limited on elevation travel so I rarely get more than 15 Mils out of them once they are zero'd
wink.gif
. If I was in his position I would get the original 10X fixed rear focus SS, maybe even a used one, and live with the MOA knobs for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only quibble might be the scope. The Falcon is also worth looking at. </div></div> Could be: I looked at one, had it for a day or so, and sent it back. That was a while ago, though, and maybe they're better now. You may be right, as I haven't seen a Falcon lately.

I've sent back a few Super Snipers as well, but that was from a bad lot on which the knobs were not cut correctly. The 10x HD SS is OK, but in my opinion it's at a price point too high above the original. The 3-9 SS is FFP, and that's nice, but it tunnels at 3x and it's limited on elevation travel so I rarely get more than 15 Mils out of them once they are zero'd
wink.gif
. If I was in his position I would get the original 10X fixed rear focus SS, maybe even a used one, and live with the MOA knobs for a while. </div></div>

If you are considering the HD SS scopes it might also be worht your time to see how the new Vortex PST scopes work (FFP, matched knobs, etc). Again food for though

Check this and upgrade the glass by selecting a better scope, another 481 bucks will net you the busnell FFP illuminated reticle scope (check the upgrade optins).

You won't beat this price.