• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recommendations for action wrench to remove factory barrels...

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
Looking to remove a few factory Remington 700 barrels. Any suggestion on which wrench to use? I’m going to try the Viper vise....

I've got a Darrell Holland action wrench that works well. I suspect others of the same design are just as good.

Rear entry is a nice piece, till you get a stubborn barrel. Every wrench I've seen will yield. The collar style that grabs the OD works better for this.

As for a rear entry, the best solution I have found:

Run down to an auto parts store and buy a 1/2" drive socket extension. 6" or 8" in length. Turn the male side down so that it'll fit inside of a Remington bolt body. Roset weld and never look back.

7 years and counting on mine. Of course you need a bolt which may or may not be a big deal. Most gun shops have at least one that they've killed at some point.

When I remove a factory Remington barrel, I start by cutting it off in the saw about 4" past the end of the action. Next I cut a groove with a .062 wide tool to minor diameter about .010 from the receiver. Then I heat the front of the receiver to about 180 degrees and unscrew the barrel with a pipe wrench. Why be delicate when handling shit?

Put that barrel in a vice pointed down and use the Wheeler wrench to remove THE ACTION. Fuck the barrel.

Reactions: winniedonkey
I have removed a few factory barrels with the viper vise and a surgeon action wrench. You can add a LITTLE heat (ie DONT use your acetylene torch and get red hot!) plumbers propane torch works fine, i read somewhere to heat till you see compound smoke and liquify in the scope base hole but dont quote me on that you certainly dont want to get anywhere near hot enough to mess with the temper of the action. This loosens the thread compound or whatever it is and they come loose fairly easy. I did feel like i was on the ragged edge of what the surgeon action wrench could handle on one since they are pretty thin where the 1/2" breaker bar i used is inserted.
Good luck

When I remove a factory Remington barrel, I start by cutting it off in the saw about 4" past the end of the action. Next I cut a groove with a .062 wide tool to minor diameter about .010 from the receiver. Then I heat the front of the receiver to about 180 degrees and unscrew the barrel with a pipe wrench. Why be delicate when handling shit?
I know it isn’t your intention, but isn’t that creating an SBR? Sure you take it off right away.... but may want to be careful where you post that haha

I know it isn’t your intention, but isn’t that creating an SBR? Sure you take it off right away.... but may want to be careful where you post that haha
Intent is a significant element of almost all criminal law, including the NFA. He's fine.

Reactions: Bradu
Just removed my factory 700 Barrel, I got the Brownells 700 action wrench kit. I used my grinder to make two flats opposite each other on the barrel shoulder. I was replacing my Lug as well, so I wasn't worried if I damaged it. Then I stuck the flats in my bench vise, clamped it down as hard as I could, put my action wrench on, then put some heat to the inner threads of the action with my plumbers torch, and applied pressure to the wrench until it released.

Intent is a significant element of almost all criminal law, including the NFA. He's fine.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/general-vs-specific-intent.html

Most crimes require general intent, meaning that the prosecution must prove only that the accused meant to do an act prohibited by law. Whether the defendant intended the act’s result is irrelevant.

That doesn't mean they would need to show his intent was to make an SBR. That means they would need to show his intent was to cut off the barrel. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I use the wheeler action wrench, and whats left of my viper vice after some tough factory barrels. I have sold all the take offs, but the one I had to trash getting of, for 100 a piece. So the first one paid for the vise, the second one paid for the wrench, the third one helped pay for a new barrel as did the forth, but the fifth, that fucker ruined everything.:cry::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Bradu
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/general-vs-specific-intent.html

Most crimes require general intent, meaning that the prosecution must prove only that the accused meant to do an act prohibited by law. Whether the defendant intended the act’s result is irrelevant.

That doesn't mean they would need to show his intent was to make an SBR. That means they would need to show his intent was to cut off the barrel. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I get what your saying, and in the acedemic viewfinder I agree in totality. But I offer this and wonder the outcome:

Example:

You walk in to my joint with a barreled action that you attempted to pull apart. The barrel has seized to the receiver. Threads have started to gall, but we can save the action if we machine the tennon slug out of it.

So, I fixture the receiver, and whack the barrel off, leaving only a couple inches. Your action is a rifle action. At that very moment the BATFE walks in, tells me they are here for an audit, and that I am to cease all work until the easter egg hunt is over.

An inspector notices the action in the machine and makes an issue of it. He calls an agent who arrives later, then I'm what? Cuffed and stuffed for an NFA violation? Are you arrested as well?

If it is truly as black and white as what has been described, I would expect to see at least a 1/3rd of the gunsmithing community doing time in prisons. This example is a routine occurance in gunsmithing. I personally would have a life sentence as my shop is a known "go to" when stuff goes horribly wrong. I have lost track of the number of stuck barrels I have had to remove by this very process.

It is unfortunate that we live in a society with a government that even makes this a relevant topic, yet here we are. It'd be nice to say no DA's office would ever prosecute something like this, or that no judge would ever rule on it. That however would be extremely arrogant and foolish to do.

Thoughts encouraged. Interesting topic.

Sorry for the "D"-rail on the original post.

Reactions: winniedonkey
I get what your saying, and in the acedemic viewfinder I agree in totality. But I offer this and wonder the outcome:

Example:

You walk in to my joint with a barreled action that you attempted to pull apart. The barrel has seized to the receiver. Threads have started to gall, but we can save the action if we machine the tennon slug out of it.

So, I fixture the receiver, and whack the barrel off, leaving only a couple inches. Your action is a rifle action. At that very moment the BATFE walks in, tells me they are here for an audit, and that I am to cease all work until the easter egg hunt is over.

An inspector notices the action in the machine and makes an issue of it. He calls an agent who arrives later, then I'm what? Cuffed and stuffed for an NFA violation? Are you arrested as well?

If it is truly as black and white as what has been described, I would expect to see at least a 1/3rd of the gunsmithing community doing time in prisons. This example is a routine occurance in gunsmithing. I personally would have a life sentence as my shop is a known "go to" when stuff goes horribly wrong. I have lost track of the number of stuck barrels I have had to remove by this very process.

It is unfortunate that we live in a society with a government that even makes this a relevant topic, yet here we are. It'd be nice to say no DA's office would ever prosecute something like this, or that no judge would ever rule on it. That however would be extremely arrogant and foolish to do.

On a lighter note and a bit of topic it would be pretty awesome to see a slow frame video and the muzzle flash that a 4 or 5" barrel stub from a mid size rifle round would produce even if it was completely useless.

Example:

I wonder if they ever charged anyone who was swing the AR-15s in half. Their intent was not to make an SBR but to destroy the firearm, but as general intent, they did intentionally cut the barrel making the rifle illegal with out a tax stamp. I think its fair to say, if you can have a discussion like this about a law, it is useless and arbitrary.

Still loving the .308 BA you guys built me. I love your work.

Does an in exhaust business get fined every time they take the exhaust system off of a car and replace it in a state that requires emissions testing and standards?

Does an in exhaust business get fined every time they take the exhaust system off of a car and replace it in a state that requires emissions testing and standards?

If they get caught, it is 20k per offense for deleting or altering the function of the emission controls. As long as they replace the cats they have not altered the emission controls replacing the exhaust. There are also provisions for using a cat delete for testing, if you think the cat is plugged. It is only allowed for temporary use. I am not sure any of this applies if you don't drive it public roads.