• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for Self Defense insurance

I've heard CCW Safe is good. Doesn't have the "courses" that USCCA does but USCCA seems to have gone downhill over the years. CCW Safe has no max on their Criminal and Civil defense funds, unlike USCCA. USCCA also "reserves the right to make you pay back if a guilty verdict is found". So not only are you in jail for defending yourself, your family is bankrupt because of the trial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhed
That answer depends on what you "want" or "need" from the provider. I used USCCA for years, but as was already mentioned, they've discontinued some services or don't have some that CCW Safe has.

To vastly oversimplify:
  • If you're only worried about funding your defense with the most coverage, go CCW Safe.
  • If you want a more holistic experience (training courses, magazine, etc), go USCCA.
I believe USCCA has a great program for new firearms owners/intermediate experience levels, but I don't see much value in the training they provide anymore, for me. I will say that when I first started really thinking about my liability in an incident and not just the incident itself, USCCA made things extremely straightforward and I got a ton of comfort in that. Later, when I felt like I had a pretty good handle on all the pitfalls that can happen immediately following an incident, I started to care more about the coverage provided, which in my opinion is materially greater with CCW Safe.

EDIT: I should note that my viewpoint is from a current CCW holder and veteran on the CCW Safe Protector plan, formerly on the USCCA Platinum Plan.

Last edited:
Been thinking about self defense insurance for awhile. Only know of..
_campaign=uscca.deltadefense.com&utm_content=membership&utm_purpose=direct+sales

or
Anyone consider one of these insurance firms or others?

I'd read the fine print of what sort of legal fees and bail are covered and what attorneys will represent you in case of trouble. CCWSAFE is in line with what I would purchase if I had a business in a shitty area in a shitty state but I would want to know exactly WHO would represent me.

That answer depends on what you "want" or "need" from the provider. I used USCCA for years, but as was already mentioned, they've discontinued some services or don't have some that CCW Safe has.

To vastly oversimplify:
  • If you're only worried about funding your defense with the most coverage, go CCW Safe.
  • If you want a more holistic experience (training courses, magazine, etc), go USCCA.
I believe USCCA has a great program for new firearms owners/intermediate experience levels, but I don't see much value in the training they provide anymore, for me. I will say that when I first started really thinking about my liability in an incident and not just the incident itself, USCCA made things extremely straightforward and I got a ton of comfort in that. Later, when I felt like I had a pretty good handle on all the pitfalls that can happen immediately following an incident, I started to care more about the coverage provided, which in my opinion is materially greater with CCW Safe.

EDIT: I should note that my viewpoint is from a current CCW holder and veteran on the CCW Safe Protector plan, formerly on the USCCA Platinum Plan.
Great info , thanks

Following as well. I need to do this. Separately using Eastern Insurance for my "collection". I think they are about $33 per every 10K. Min $150 (around 40K).

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve heard mixed opinions on USCCA. But yet, there’s quite a few advertising on some YT channels of their reliable assurance. Yes, careful reading of fine prints is important. Throughout the years, I’ve been looking and trying to decide which firm to put my trust in. Never got around to it. I’ve always relied on cameras I’ve installed, take down, upgrade, in and outside of home. Thinking, if I’ve ever had to defend myself and family, that video footage would be enough. But I know it’s not. I live in one of those states that law would side the criminals breaking in a home, you shoot, and the home owner would definitely get charge for it. Video or not. The area I live gets kinda crazy. So my wife the other day reminded me if I ever got around to signing up for self defense insurance.

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve heard mixed opinions on USCCA. But yet, there’s quite a few advertising on some YT channels of their reliable assurance. Yes, careful reading of fine prints is important. Throughout the years, I’ve been looking and trying to decide which firm to put my trust in. Never got around to it. I’ve always relied on cameras I’ve installed, take down, upgrade, in and outside of home. Thinking, if I’ve ever had to defend myself and family, that video footage would be enough. But I know it’s not. I live in one of those states that law would side the criminals breaking in a home, you shoot, and the home owner would definitely get charge for it. Video or not. The area I live gets kinda crazy. So my wife the other day reminded me if I ever got around to signing up for self defense insurance.
Exactly. It doesn’t even matter if the state EVENTUALLY sided with you or the criminal. Either way you are likely going to court to prove your innocence, and that requires a lawyer and consequently lots of $$. Then, even if you win the criminal trial, the shitheads family sues you because you took away their perfect angel who just “needed the money and didn’t deserve to die”. More $$$ to defend yourself. I firmly believe if you carry a firearm at all, even in the home depending where you live, you absolutely need one of these firms to have your back.

I took my ccw training from legal heat based out of Utah.

The instructor recommened U.S.lawshield based out of Texas, which is what I bought just yesterday.

I really didn't look around though. Hope to never have to use it.

I took my ccw training from legal heat based out of Utah.

The instructor recommened U.S.lawshield based out of Texas, which is what I bought just yesterday.

I really didn't look around though. Hope to never have to use it.
I’d put us law shield above USCCA but just under CCWSafe, but that’s for my needs. One of my old marine buddies is an agent or whatever it’s called for lawshield and they seem solid.

I have been reading and contemplating which one of these 'self defense' insurances to go with myself.

I have an umbrella liability policy (on top of home owners) that claims will cover me if I am sued for most reasons

but, I have read a self defense shooting may fall under this item of not covered

What does an umbrella policy not cover?
Property damage or injuries that you intentionally cause to others.

The thought is a self defense shooting is an action you took intentionally.

Anyone ever been sued for a self defense shooting that can weigh in from experience on any of this?

Does the typical umbrella policy cover it?
which of the self defense insurance companies actually pay out and help instead of run and hide?

I read on CCWSafe's terms page that the $1mm policy is reduced to 100K if you are found guilty. Seems reasonable -
you can't get a policy, go shoot someone and expect somebody to cover it all. I believe the civil is capped as well, IIRC other companies were similar in nature.

I read on CCWSafe's terms page that the $1mm policy is reduced to 100K if you are found guilty. Seems reasonable -
you can't get a policy, go shoot someone and expect somebody to cover it all. I believe the civil is capped as well, IIRC other companies were similar in nature.
can you c/p that? I'm interested in the wording. It seems odd that CCWSafe would reduce the policy seeing as they cover appeals, and even reserve the right to appeal even if you decide not to.

I see it now, it's the liability coverage.

Civil liability coverage stemming from a Recognized Self-Defense Use of Force Incident offers coverage of $1,000,000 per incident, and $1,000,000 in the aggregate. Litigation fees and expenses are separate from the $1,000,000 liability coverage. For example, your $1,000,000 in civil damages protection is not consumed by the fees and costs of litigation. In states where a criminal conviction occurs, and where you are found guilty of a crime, and the law precludes the assertion of self-defense as a viable defense in a civil case, then the extent of liability damages protection is $100,000 per incident and $100,000 in the aggregate.

Seems pretty reasonable indeed, if you are no longer allowed to claim self defense and are found guilty in criminal court.

Ah, the worries of ruled men. What a shame it has all become.
Yes.. the fact that it’s not myself that I worry about. It’s my family if I get locked up. I’d be rendered useless if I’m in the cellar. Like dead to my family, only they don’t receive any of my life insurance. And I figure at the most like 10 yrs for ms, another 5 awaiting trial before sentence if can’t make bail?

Dildo...baggins. wtf does my handle have to do with my insurance policy? You profiling me? What's with the micro aggressions brah?
Nah man.. no disrespect. Just that I know Christianity. And your handle just didn’t quite go well with your response. You know what I mean? But hey brotha, no mean to pass judgement, which is also not good in a Christian world. Oh well, back on topic..

Reactions: Dildobaggins
Lmao, yeah I'd have to agree. My vulgarity is a problem, that I've been working on, but I've had the name for so long. It's who I am man. I am dildo. 🤣

So been working all day today. Didn’t have a chance to inquire. I probably gonna give each one of em a call. See what kind of responses I get.

Learn to appreciate how things can escalate quickly. Don't get killed or kill over an old mattress. Best insurance is to acknowledge walking away often works.

Learn to appreciate how things can escalate quickly. Don't get killed or kill over an old mattress. Best insurance is to acknowledge walking away often works.
Yes.. I understand that. I’m talking about when you need to use your weapon to defend yourself or your family when in danger. I mean if they break into your home yielding a weapon, am I supposed to know their intent? That they’re not gonna use it? So give the assailant time to think? And do what he wants while I walk away? If he drops me, then my wife, daughter, son is defenseless. Should they walk away too?
Come on guys, so basically you’re saying no need those self defense insurance. Either shoot and pray. Or your fucked either way..

Reactions: jb0311
Watching this. As a Texan, I'm definitely going to look into U.S. Lawshield. While TX in general has good castle laws and my county is conservative, I'd be worried about having to defend myself if in a libtard county like Travis or Harris. Look at what's going on with the gent that dropped the hammer on that douchebag in that taqueria in Houston the other day.
Hey jb0311 can you PM me your agent/buddy's contact info. I'd like to talk to him.

Yes.. I understand that. I’m talking about when you need to use your weapon to defend yourself or your family when in danger. I mean if they break into your home yielding a weapon, am I supposed to know their intent? That they’re not gonna use it? So give the assailant time to think? And do what he wants while I walk away? If he drops me, then my wife, daughter, son is defenseless. Should they walk away too?
Come on guys, so basically you’re saying no need those self defense insurance. Either shoot and pray. Or your fucked either way..
If they break in your home with a weapon it's essentially "go time". I'd put money into creating a fortress as a deterrent to criminals. Assuming that's already being done I'd increase that money by the amount of insurance premium for self defense coverage. Or put it towards family defense training.

Just doesn't seem worth the cost. You are fucked either way. Life will never be the same after any scenario where you fire your weapon. Make sure you suffer the least pain.

Reactions: tomcatmv
If they break in your home with a weapon it's essentially "go time". I'd put money into creating a fortress as a deterrent to criminals. Assuming that's already being done I'd increase that money by the amount of insurance premium for self defense coverage. Or put it towards family defense training.

Just doesn't seem worth the cost. You are fucked either way. Life will never be the same after any scenario where you fire your weapon. Make sure you suffer the least pain.
Your last sentence seems to betray the first several.

You can put millions into your "fortress" and "training", but both mean jack shit after the incident is over. This insurance is for people who prefer not to be "fucked" even harder than they might be after-the-fact and is just a tool to add to a toolbox. To delegitimize it as such is either naive, foolhardy, or financially not possible for the individual. In which situation do you fall?

My #17 post in this thread

just wondering if having the insurance is more likely to make you a civil suite target. i.e esp if you are not charged or found not guilty after grand jury or trial. was that way when i was working. docs had to have it in order to practice anywhere. we ( RNs) were unlikely to be sued except under respondeat superior. it was pushed on us even back in late 60s. but,to me,it just made one a target as actionable malpractice was hard to prove and lawyers didn't want to try and churn nothing @ $300/hr. getting a judgement against someone who had nothing was a nonstarter for them. if an RN was judged guilty of malpractice,license was lost anyway. even at today's way higher wages,no license= no work,no income to garnish. would really some lawyer's opinion on this issue. i know which state makes a huge dif.

Your last sentence seems to betray the first several.

You can put millions into your "fortress" and "training", but both mean jack shit after the incident is over. This insurance is for people who prefer not to be "fucked" even harder than they might be after-the-fact and is just a tool to add to a toolbox. To delegitimize it as such is either naive, foolhardy, or financially not possible for the individual. In which situation do you fall?
I don't see a betrayal. What scenario do you envision being liable defending your family in your home against an intruder that is armed? By fucked, I mean the shooter lives with it even when it's totally justified. I'm naive, foolhardy, and I haven't a penny for carry insurance. Maybe if it becomes common it will become mandatory? And maybe it will be billed per gun? Maybe FFL's won't even start a background check for a new gun purchase until proof of this insurance is provided? I see lawyers, insurance agents, and politicians salivating as they create a grand gun compromise and profit accordingly. In that future scenario "shall not be infringed" doesn't have a place.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but one of my nephews down in the Woodlands area was asking me yesterday about this very thing.
So it got me thinking and I recalled this thread from last year. Who has US Law Shield or CCW Safe? I'm looking into it for myself as well.
There's been a lot of sketchy shit happening in TX lately. I have my CCW permit and carry every day. Like most of us on here, I hope I never have to use it.
But like the old saying goes: I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.