• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations on eye and ear pro...

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    looking at peltors for the ears in the $60 to $100 range and as far as eye protection they need to be suitable for indoor and outdoor use.

any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Kinnamon

Re: Recommendations on eye and ear pro...

I just got the ESS Suppressor with the copper color lens and they are the nicest and most comfortable shooting glasses I've tried with earcans. Thanks to NOMAD for the 40% code too.
    PM me or NOMAD for the 40% off code.

Electronics ears there are a lot out there and its up to personnel preference. I am running the Howard Leights for the last 2 years and really love them.

Eyewear I have been running Oakley for the past14 years and don't think I would go to anything else. The new Oakley M Frames are specifically designed for electronics and have a very thin frame to fit under the muffs. They should be out in the next month or so because I just played with them at the Oakley booth yesterday.

Chuck

I use the Peltor 97043 ('Behind the Head') and any comfortable UV protecting wrap around sunglass. Don't get too caught up on brand names.

I run Oakley shades, I guess I'm odd when it comes to ear protection I prefer regular foam plugs to almost anything out there

I wear ESS eyewear! I switched to them when i ditched oakly's!!

If you want to save some money I have a 40% ESS dicount code for anyone that may need it!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have gone through three sets of Peltors, and find that I like the Howard Leight Imapact Sport's alot better.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/tags-on-product/B001T7QJ9O </div></div>

Just bear in mind there is a VAST difference in Peltor product lines.

It's like saying "I had a Chevy and didn't like it so I bought a Mustang."

Did you have the crappy Peltor H7 that we have on the range, or the top end Comtac? Sporttac's are the middle of the road, but they are twice the cost of the Howard Leights. The reason is evident as soon as you wear them and only gets better if you add the Gel earseals.

I'd stongly recommend Wiley X Romer II. They're lightweight, comfortable and with the new version with the rubberized nosebridge they don't slip. And they meet the ANSI protection specs and come with a few interchangeable lenses including clear for night protection. Also good because they're tactically sound but good for street use. The only downside is that the lenses aren't the easiest to pop in and out - but I change mine a lot and have yet to damage one.

I've had nothing but bad luck with the ESS - seems like the nosebridge would always tear and the glasses/frames would not stand up to daily, heavy use. That was years ago, though, so maybe better now.

And I'd stay away from any that have the foam built around the inside of the frame, presumably to keep out sand. I think I had both ESS and Wileys (definitely Wileys) that didn't work worth a flip and they'd fog up.

And at the risk of highjacking this thread, why don't more people wear earplugs v. 'protectors'? I'm not the biggest fan of having earplugs in but the headset seems worse to me, especially the bulk. The only advantage I can see is if you need comms.

Any earplug recommendations?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have gone through three sets of Peltors, and find that I like the Howard Leight Imapact Sport's alot better.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/tags-on-product/B001T7QJ9O </div></div>

Just bear in mind there is a VAST difference in Peltor product lines.

It's like saying "I had a Chevy and didn't like it so I bought a Mustang."

Did you have the crappy Peltor H7 that we have on the range, or the top end Comtac? Sporttac's are the middle of the road, but they are twice the cost of the Howard Leights. The reason is evident as soon as you wear them and only gets better if you add the Gel earseals. </div></div>

I went through two sets of the Tactical 6S Slim Line's, and one set of the Tacpro's. The 6S are roughly double the HL's and the TacPro's roughly four times. Both pairs of the 6S had to be sent in for the same problem(one side not functioning/dead) and the Tacpro's were intermittent as though there was a loose connection internally, causing some noise and failing to function at times. I sent them in and then sold the replacement set, before buying two pairs of the Howard Leights. If you have had good experiences with the Peltor's, congratulations, I didn't and found that I am much happier with the fit, and function, of the Howard Leights.

If you aren't happy with Chevy and I tell you that the mustang costs twice as much(so inherently it must be better) will that make you feel better about purchasing the mustang? I tried stepping up from a $100 model(and they cost more at that time if I recall correctly, but it's possible that they didn't.) to one that cost twice the price and that didn't make it any better. I'm sure the top model is great, I see them around often enough on the heads of people that wear them for a living(effectively), at the time I figured I'd try a couple pairs of the Leights and see how well they performed for the price, and I haven't been inclined to buy anything else since. If both pairs of my Leights fail out now, after the few years and tens of thousands of rounds am ammunition I've been using them for, I'll probably pick up a set of MSA's to see if they are all they are hyped up to be. In the meantime, you know what I'll be using.

My ESS Suppressors are coming in today, looking forward to it! I've been wearing $5 S&W eyepro with my Howard Leights for a couple years now and am really looking forward to the suppressors thin earpieces.

The price can't really be beat with 40% off the 2x kit.

I went with ESS High adrenaline CDI Sunglass (Desert Tan Frame) with CDI Clear Lenses and Peltor Tactical 6 Stereo Slim Line Electronic Headset, Black, Behind-the-Head.

thanks all for the input!

Kinnamon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went through two sets of the Tactical 6S Slim Line's, and one set of the Tacpro's. The 6S are roughly double the HL's and the TacPro's roughly four times. Both pairs of the 6S had to be sent in for the same problem(one side not functioning/dead) and the Tacpro's were intermittent as though there was a loose connection internally, causing some noise and failing to function at times. I sent them in and then sold the replacement set, before buying two pairs of the Howard Leights. If you have had good experiences with the Peltor's, congratulations, I didn't and found that I am much happier with the fit, and function, of the Howard Leights.</div></div>

I wasn't fond of the 6S either. The Sporttac is in a different class. They are really MUCH better. If you really do think the Leights are that good you would be blown away by the Sporttacs. The sound is cleaner. The suppression is better and the fit is tighter.

I bought the Howard Leight Impacts hoping that they were up to the hype that I hear about them. I really wanted them to be that good for the money. We do from time to time find those kinds of deals. However unless I got a real lemon, it just isn't the case this time.

I am going to give them another go this weekend. We have a local match and I will see if some of the other guys want to check them out. It's a great way for me to see them on even ground since I usually solicit opinions before I tell them the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went through two sets of the Tactical 6S Slim Line's, and one set of the Tacpro's. The 6S are roughly double the HL's and the TacPro's roughly four times. Both pairs of the 6S had to be sent in for the same problem(one side not functioning/dead) and the Tacpro's were intermittent as though there was a loose connection internally, causing some noise and failing to function at times. I sent them in and then sold the replacement set, before buying two pairs of the Howard Leights. If you have had good experiences with the Peltor's, congratulations, I didn't and found that I am much happier with the fit, and function, of the Howard Leights.</div></div>

I wasn't fond of the 6S either. The Sporttac is in a different class. They are really MUCH better. If you really do think the Leights are that good you would be blown away by the Sporttacs. The sound is cleaner. The suppression is better and the fit is tighter.

I bought the Howard Leight Impacts hoping that they were up to the hype that I hear about them. I really wanted them to be that good for the money. We do from time to time find those kinds of deals. However unless I got a real lemon, it just isn't the case this time.

I am going to give them another go this weekend. We have a local match and I will see if some of the other guys want to check them out. It's a great way for me to see them on even ground since I usually solicit opinions before I tell them the cost. </div></div>

They do have a little bit of thermal noise when cranked up high, but they are relatively comfortable for up to about six hours of non-stop wear, and tolerable for about another two after that. I wouldn't mind testing the Gel-equipped Sporttac's side-by-side with them, and maybe I will if one of these two sets of HL's goes, since they are a little cheaper than the Sordin's and I hadn't put any thought into going back to the Peltors after previous experiences. If I end up not liking them, I'll send you a bill
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel_11A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And at the risk of highjacking this thread, why don't more people wear earplugs v. 'protectors'? I'm not the biggest fan of having earplugs in but the headset seems worse to me, especially the bulk. The only advantage I can see is if you need comms.

Any earplug recommendations? </div></div>

I double-up with a set of plugs, AND a set of muffs sometimes, depending on what I'm shooting and the surroundings(always if I'm shooting indoors). I really like the Howard Leight Max1's, the Sperian R3's(usually pink and yellow), the EARsoft Yellow Neons, and the Moldex PuraFit 6800's... In that order.

As far as the bulk, I can shoot a scoped rifle, or any other long gun just fine with the Leights, and the 6S Slim's, and the Sordin's look nice and slim too.

I ran the Howard Leights today during load testing.

On my pair it is extremely easy to slide the earcups up and down the adjustment wires. This causes them to "slip down" while wearing them.

Does anyone else have this issue?

They were acceptable during shooting until they drifted down. Then I had to stop and readjust them. I was running the audio in from my iPhone listening to some nice relaxing music. I realized that you can adjust the ambient amplification independent of the audio in. The audio input is controlled by the device. I thought that was pretty neat.

I haven't noticed that problem with either of my Leights, they tend to stay where I put them. Nice feature on the audio, I've never plugged anything into them. I just skimmed over your Sporttac review, did you end up plugging any auxiliary source into those with that special cable? I could have missed it...

Im keen as mustard to get myself a pair of ESS crossbows! Might even buy one for my shooting buddy if i can get the 40% of promo code
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel_11A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And at the risk of highjacking this thread, why don't more people wear earplugs v. 'protectors'? I'm not the biggest fan of having earplugs in but the headset seems worse to me, especially the bulk. The only advantage I can see is if you need comms.

Any earplug recommendations? </div></div>

I double-up with a set of plugs, AND a set of muffs sometimes, depending on what I'm shooting and the surroundings(always if I'm shooting indoors). I really like the Howard Leight Max1's, the Sperian R3's(usually pink and yellow), the EARsoft Yellow Neons, and the Moldex PuraFit 6800's... In that order.

As far as the bulk, I can shoot a scoped rifle, or any other long gun just fine with the Leights, and the 6S Slim's, and the Sordin's look nice and slim too. </div></div>

I had a set of plugs molded at SHOT and they are incredible.. Wore them indoors and had no problems at all. Very quiet...

I used to run Oakley, they worked great. I have half jackets, with amber, grey, and clear lenses. Worked indoor and out. Then my wife picked me up a pair of rudy project glasses with grey, and racing red lenses. I haven't used my Oakleys since. The Rudys seem lighter, and more comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im keen as mustard to get myself a pair of ESS crossbows! Might even buy one for my shooting buddy if i can get the 40% of promo code
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

I have to say, the suppressors are VERY comfortable under headphones. Pleased with my purchase. They're a bit high speed looking, but it's about protecting your vision not looking cool.

Eye Pro Recommendation... ESS Suppressors...

A couple of weeks ago I got serious about updating my PPE. I believe in always wearing eye and ear protection when shooting. Over the past year or so I have noticed a significant reduction in my hearing. The past several years I have doubled up on ear pro, but I still have constant ringing in both ears.

The common situation for me is to put in plugs, then eyes, then ears all with a hat on... The ear pro doesn't seal and the electronics clip and I can't hear any discussions so I do the normal thing...I lift the ear pro, remove 1 plug and cuss the damn headache I am getting from the glasses shoved into my head behind my ears...
    I was looking for a solution to the situation and I found it..,

ESS Suppressor eye pro...
    I purchased 2 sets of them following Nomad's suggestions. The wind and snow were blowing yesterday so I wore the Suppressors around the house with the clear lenses just to see how well they stayed on my face and if they would give me a headache without ear pro. To my surprise, they not only stayed on and didn't give me a headache, the lenses are as clear as my high end sunglasses. I have owned many top name eye pro including Smith, Oakley and Ranger and these are the first that I have worn that I don't notice any distortion with.
    Today the weather is clear and very bright. I took the opportunity this morning to shoot and give the glasses an initial workout.
    The lenses take a second to figure our how to change, but if a person takes a minute to read the destruction's it is a simple process to hold the frames off center and pull down on the lenses. Simple and painless.
    I installed the dark lenses, put in plugs, added a hat and headphones and went to shoot. I had the combo on for a little over an hour straight, not too long, but enough time that my head usually hurts and I am starting a headache. Today, nothing. I felt great, my head doesn't hurt, I don't have any eye strain and the seal on the ear pro was solid. There was not any behind the ear pressure, nor was there any pressure on my temples. The Suppressors work as advertised and with the quality of the lenses, I will purchase several more sets.

I am a very satisfied customer and would recommend them to anyone who uses headphones with eye pro...

Ear Pro...
    I own and have used the past many years Peltor Tac 6, bought Howard Lights last year and just received Peltor tac/sports.
    I must run plugs with both the tac 6 and Howard Leights. I have found the HL's to offer better protection.
    I hope to give the tac/sports a try this week and when gel pads are added that I can do away with plugs when shooting outside. Time will tell

I don't usually run eyes when I shoot the long gun, but the ESS Crossbows have been my go-to for SWAT stuff until I started testing the Revision products. I have some more work to do with them before I render an opinion. However the Crossbows are definitely good to go. I am going to pickup a Suppressor frame or two to play with soon.

I used to use only oakley half jackets but they aren't really ballistic rated. Revisions actually aren't half bad.

I use the Flak jacket XLJ glasses and the MSA Sordin supreme pro x for ear pro

cluebat & MTETM, thanks for the info.

Def going to get a pair for myself and a buddy.

Like my Oakley M's, interchangeable lenses. Ears, I like my Peltor Tactical 6-5. They fold closed to a real small package and are great for range work. For the hairy shit /sand snow...Advancer V12 goggles.

Howard leight impacts. I use oakleys for shooting outdoors and if you go to an Oakley dealer instead of the Internet you can get extra lenses in all different colors and tints polarized or not etc. Could get a nice indoor outdoor set for under a 100$ no problem.

I use Oakley Half Jackets and Peltor, its excellent being able to change the color of my lenses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Revision Hellfly's in photochromic so indoors their clear & outdoors they adjust to the sunshine .
    http://www.revisioneyewear.com/hellfly.html
    </div></div>
    I have the Sawfly's, Army issued them to me along with a set of Oakley's, sent them home but the sawfly's are fine. you can get amber lens for them but I have not gotten them yet. I'm happy with them, your tax dollars at work, thank you.

Any sentiments on the CENS digital hearing protectors..? I's F'n expensive, about $1000 but willing to spend it if it's worth while...

I currently use Oakley M-Frames and have lenses to change out for clear or dark, depending on whether conditions. I have been looking at ESS and Revision though so I can get some prescription inserts for them.

I use Surefire Earpro for my hearing protection. For some reason muffs always affects my cheek weld when I'm on the rifle.

Surefire EarPro and Rudy Project Rydons. Comfort, protection and performance. Who wants to wear earmuffs in the summer? The EarPros are cheap enough for a bunch of pairs. Handguns out side I pull the 'plugs' inside or rifles I put them in. Beats getting to the range and realizing your batteries are dead in your muffs, again.

Rudy's let you swap in and out colored lenses. I have a prescription frame behind the colored lenses and it works great.

how do the ear pros work around rifle fire? Do they work as advertised? Can you still have a conversation while they are in?