• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommended twist for a .308?

If your gonna shoot 190gr bullets and lighter go 1-11:25, any heavier go 1-10. I like 5r, but not a must.

1/11.25 seems to be the go to twist rate for a 308. I run 155's or 175's.

I went 1/10 on my 300WM for the 185gr Berger Juggernauts.

1:12 will stabilize any bullet that efficient in a 308 at supersonic speeds and then some heavier stuff, so why put more of a spin on it and lose velocity?

If you plan on shooting subs run a 1:10, other than that there's nothing wrong with a 12.

Recommended twist for a .308?

This your second post that I have seen regarding large equipment purchases (ie scope thread) so I have to give you major credit for doing your research. I would personally recommend 1-11.25. The 1-10 is fine but it shines most for the subsonics which I doubt you will be interested in. 1-12 is of course absolutely fine but my vote goes for 11.25.

Edit: 175s are great. You will be reloading so you have unlimited possibilities. 168s are also great but do not handle the wind near as good as the 175s. I am currently making that switch right now.

Last edited:
I am shooting 175 SMK out of a 1-10 twist 18 inch barrel and out to a 1k is no problem so it really just depends on what you want .

If your gonna shoot 190gr bullets and lighter go 1-11:25, any heavier go 1-10. I like 5r, but not a must.

1/11.25 seems to be the go to twist rate for a 308. I run 155's or 175's.

I went 1/10 on my 300WM for the 185gr Berger Juggernauts.

This ^ I've shot 155s, 168s, 175s, and 178s all have shot 1/2 MOA or better. Latest 5-shot group with the 178s. Just a factory 700 5R barrel as well.
1070xht.jpg

Last edited:
I run a 1:10 on a 23" Brux . I mainly shoot the 175's and its great. The 1:10 twist gives me the option to run the real heavies if I want to but still allows me to shoot the 155s if I want to.

All of mine are 1/10 - 18" gas gun and a 26" bolt. They both hold sub MOA using factory FGMM 168, 175 and reloaded 155's just fine.

If I could find some 110 grain a-max bullets I'd love to test those as well. . . .

I have a Remington 700 Tactical, it is a 1-12". It has been cut to 18". It shoots both the 175 SMK and the 168 Hornady BTHP really well. This is a 5 shot group @ 100 with the 175's

5shots100yds175SMK_zps26018ca0.jpg

This is a 5 shot @ 100 with the 168's

5shots100yds168HornadyBTHP_zpse402c0a0.jpg

This your second post that I have seen regarding large equipment purchases (ie scope thread) so I have to give you major credit for doing your research. I would personally recommend 1-11.25. The 1-10 is fine but it shines most for the subsonics which I doubt you will be interested in. 1-12 is of course absolutely fine but my vote goes for 11.25.

Edit: 175s are great. You will be reloading so you have unlimited possibilities. 168s are also great but do not handle the wind near as good as the 175s. I am currently making that switch right now.

Thanks! Being only 15 i like to do my research before i purchase my products, make sure everything is going to work good together, and make sure im getting quality stuff. Could i send you my planned build and you look over it just to see that its not gonna be any bottle necks anywhere?

If you have a choice then always go for the 1-10 twist. 5R supposedly does not cut the bullet as much and fouls less. Whether this is true or not I see no reason not to go for it.

I am definitely no expert. Just put it up where some of these guys who make a living in the profession can help and critique you. You are on the right track so far. There's really no wrong way to go if you stick to all the suggestions.

Tagging this for my own research. OP, if you are 15 and have the means to build a LR rifle, props to you.

Order a mid twist barrel (1/11) and try a variety of different bullets by hand loading. Your gun will tell ou what it likes. My 1/11 twist will shoot 168 and 175, but shoots 155's lights out.

Tagging this for my own research. OP, if you are 15 and have the means to build a LR rifle, props to you.

Thanks! That really means alot, been spending alot on my ar recently and it got boring after i could shoot less than a quarter group @ 200 yards so i decided to build this to shoot farther and give me more of a challenge.

Congratulations on doing your homework man! It's good to see the next generation hard at work!

Post some pics when you get it finished.

1/11.25 is great but why not go ten? On cold days with high pressure (low DA) even the 1-11.25 can start to run into stability issues with the 185 berger class bullets. It's nice to have the option.

I am shooting 175 SMK out of a 1-10 twist 18 inch barrel and out to a 1k is no problem so it really just depends on what you want .

Yep. I've been past 1000 shooting a 1:12 18" with 175s. I don't think the .308 is nearly as finicky about twist rate as some of the other calibers. I know a guy playing around with twist rates for fun and has had great INITIAL success with 1:8 .308 barrels but I don't know that he's reached the point of "recommending" it yet.
He even tried a 1:4 which he would only say failed MISERABLY and he would not be trying that again.