• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Red Dawn

I thought it was one of the better remakes I have seen. Took the wife and mother-in-law and they both seemed to like it. I know it started the discussion on being prepared for anything to happen.

Saw it finally, and I liked it better than the original. Some pretty funny comic relief parts. And trying to be as vague as possible so as to not give anything away...I absolutely loved the casual strutting/blending in part haha. Incredibly few cheesy parts, which is good!

Not a GREAT movie, but pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it.

saw yesterday, lots of good explosions and action, the three ex marines were a laugh a minute but what bugged me the most was the suicide kid asking to "borrow" his buddy's SAW. I would have said hell no, you can't borrow my SAW, I'll never see it again.
I'd go see it again just for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RGraff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw a clip this morning where one of the kids is watching a group of bad guys through a scoped AK. Only problem was his rear scope cover was down the whole time.

I got a bad feeling about this remake.</div></div>

Maybe it was an amber filter...

I saw it Saturday with my 19 yr old son. I "made" him and a friend watch the original on netflix a couple months ago. He totally got it. From start to finish I liked it.

I had some grief about the perpetual 3-day growth of beard on Jed, but then again, in the original, all the kids were clean-shaven and had nice haircuts throughout (I think their clothes were too clean, too).

Couple of small technical details like the scope cap weren't going to bother me much considering they actually had a suppressed gun - finally - and little details like the evil little black guns they got not hitting a tree from 20 feet and Jed walking in to find effective range were a good touch, as was the radio codes to the resistance "The chair is against the wall," "John has a long moustache."

Priceless. I liked it. As good as the original? No. But neither will the new Star Wars be when it comes out but I'll likely see it too.

Personally, I liked it just a touch better than the first one. Something about how the kid reacted when the one guy got killed trying to help him rescue his GF. My GF has never seen the original, but her and her cousin really enjoyed it. She said it was very emotional, as you'd get excited about something and then oh shit everything goes wrong.

There was a couple of funny moments mixed in to. "Hey sandwich artist, fill this bag up!"

I was really happy to see that momma's boy blonde kid get his in the beginning.
Of course there's a villain that you love to hate, commie bastard.

The scope cap thing bugged my only because it happened 2x. But other than that it looked like they did it right. The tec-9 thing was good. It's what they had and they quickly upgraded after jed figured out how to best use them and demonstrated they're shortcomings.

The only thing that really bugged me was that was one helluva nice police station!

I think both this movie and the original should be required viewing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bornhunter04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The only thing that really bugged me was that was one helluva nice police station!
</div></div>

Without getting "political" here. I read somewhere once that in western civilization's rise to global power, the actual power centers were the tallest buildings. In the early Roman empire, the romans build massive structures to last for millennia. Then the church built Cathedrals designed to last millennia (and allied bombings in WW2 for that matter). The biggest, tallest buildings of the past century have all been corporate. Sears tower, World Trade Center, that hotel in Dubai.

Curiously, that police station, and many others across the nation, speak volumes regarding this trend as more - and more enormous, lavishly appointed - federal buildings pop up from coast to coast.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I don't think this was lost on the writers.

It could have been better, but it also could have been worse. I'd have to say the one part that bothered me the most wasn't the scoped AK... It was the end with the retarded mustang/mini gun. It's like someone watched death race one too many times.

Maybe it's a good movie to get the younger generations to watch it, so it's good in that sense. As far as good movies go though it sucked...thin plot, sketchy details, bad actors, etc. Save it for Netflix....

I thought Jed's character was well acted. Same for Jed's dad. The younger brother annoyed the shit outa me. The actors playing the Marines were decent too. I still liked the first one better but I didn't feel like I wasted my cash watching this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But its Gangnam style!!!

ch </div></div>

I think this^^^ describes the trailer ( likely whole move) quite well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Immorteq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Jed's character was well acted. Same for Jed's dad. The younger brother annoyed the shit outa me. The actors playing the Marines were decent too. I still liked the first one better but I didn't feel like I wasted my cash watching this one. </div></div>

Absolutely agree, the rest of the movie kind of drove me nuts, a lot of stuff that didn't even remotely make sense, such as the mustang minigun and others. That said I think the older brother and the dad did a great job, that kid from drake and josh was annoying as hell along with the rest of the bunch.

What made the first one great was that fear of "could this happen". Going to see it tonight and try and not compare it to the original.

I didn't expect much and I actually liked it when the wife and I went to see it. She loved it. She loved the original, too, except for the poor production/special effects. The new one shined there...but there were technicalities and plot holes that were annoying, but what from Hollywood doesn't have that? If you can overlook the obvious, you'll like it.

They made enough changes to keep it interesting and actually added some nice touches. I especially liked the one-liners and humor thrown in. The idea that Jed is a Marine on leave filled a major hole that was in the original. I especially like the Tec-9 scene and explanation of guerrilla warfare/insurgency explanations. In the original, I always hated that the kids magically learned military tactics on their own.

I can overlook the technical issues with the first one... Just the theme, the fears of the time. Living with two National Laboratories in our town, we grew up knowing we were on the first strike list. The cold war was quite alive and well for us. All of our parents worked at one or the other lab. So seeing the Commies try and fail was worth cheering. Will see the new one ...