• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Red dots mounted on scopes/rifles

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Looking at putting a red dot on a couple ARs and bolt guns in addition to the primary scope

What red dots and mounting solutions have worked well for you? Thank you

So to be clear, this will be a back up red dot as you will have a scope mounted to the rifle as well?

Reactions: deersniper
    Target acquisition on a LR rifle, I think youd want to mount above the scope, leaving you with ring cap mounts, or the ring type mount. I have not used either, the zoom works for me(I do not do PRS competitively). I have used, on both small and large frame AR platforms, the Vortex 45° offset mount with mrds. Biggest downfall I find, is mount height when using as a backup. When you cant the rifle, the dot needs to be at proper height or you have to change cheek weld. This leaves us at mounting solution. Some risers are very bulky, and add more screws and such. I'd suggest finding a riser plate that mounts directly to your mrds mounting screws, then attaches to the rail as normal. I used a cheap AT3, because it fit my needs of streamlined, and it has not let me down. These rifles are in cases when they are put up, and see no mercy when they are in use. That's my .02

Reactions: deersniper
    Holosun is hard to beat for the money.

This really depends on where your eye ends up and whether you want the red dot to stay with the scope or with the rifle when you remove the scope from the gun.

Then there is the question of whether you want to use it both right handed and left-handed or both.

ILya

On a more precision oriented rifle, I prefer piggy back via Reptilia ROF90 with a Trijicon RMR. Allows you to rapidly push the dot on target and shoot, or if you want to refine the shot, drop straight down to the magnified optic.

For other backup sights, I prefer offset iron sights to RDS, to mitigate fogging / condensation or mud / grime boogering up both primary and secondaries.

I use a number of the RDS/scope combinations. This offset style seems to work best for me.

S&B 3-20 short dot , Aimpoint T-2 with q-d GDI mount.

DSCN2908 copy.JPG
    DSCN2907 copy.JPG
    DSCN2904 copy.JPG
    DSCN2903a copy.jpg

Last edited:
    Type 2 RMR 3.25 in Reptilia ROF90, replacing the front top ring of a Geissele mount with NF NXS 2.5-10x24.

I tried an angled mount from Aadland on their Aadmount; great mount and setup but I never got comfortable with the angled RDS and prefer this setup with the RDS on top. Just personal preference IMO.

IMG-4051.jpg

On my PRS/NRL match rifles, I run Leupold Deltapoint Pros at the 1:30 position on a ring cap. Same position on my .308 (Burris FF2 though). I like that position best for getting on target quickly before going to the main optic. I dial on my 600 yard dope, put the reticle on target and then zero the RDS dot so it's also on target. That way whatever I put the dot on from 200-1200 yards, I can just drop behind the main optic and be on target. Mounting at 1:30 vs 12:00 also keeps the overall height lower, which is practical for tight ports in barricades and such.

On gas guns, I run the RDS at the 12:00 and zeroed at 50 yards. I don't like having to use a chin weld instead of a cheek weld but it's only for snap shots anyways. I figure anything much past 150 yards I'll be behind the primary optic anyways.

Disregard, I am dumb... Thought it was an RMR.

It looks just like the Spuhr interface though...

Last edited: