• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Competition Seating Die WTF???

sigma2chi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2010
Grovetown, GA
Just want to get an idea and see if anyone else has/is experiencing the same problem I am.

My Redding Micrometer Adjustable Competition seating die DOES NOT adjust to the .001 consistent increments it is supposed to. Each little tick mark is "supposed" to be equal to and extra .001 depth in the bullet seating. This is NOT how this thing is working. I am getting my depths where I want them but only after using my micrometer to check the adjust ment 2-3 times and making it right.

At first I thought my micrometer might be off but I checked that with feeler guages and it was dead on.

Anybody else discover that their "adjustments" aren't to spec in their die???

I've only ever used the micrometer on a die to closely return to a previously recorded setting, pretty handy for that. Real measurements are done with a dial caliper, a properly used dial caliper of course. And of course you know you can adjust the micrometer head on that Redding to read a more comfy number if it suits you. I can only imagine what you are trying to do here, and to me it sounds a bit too fussy fuck.

The seating stem pushes on the ogive of the bullet in a certain area .Unless your getting your reading from that same spot ,i doubt you will ever get the right seating depth consitantly. Arnie

I've only ever used the micrometer on a die to closely return to a previously recorded setting, pretty handy for that. Real measurements are done with a dial caliper, a properly used dial caliper of course. And of course you know you can adjust the micrometer head on that Redding to read a more comfy number if it suits you. I can only imagine what you are trying to do here, and to me it sounds a bit too fussy fuck.

I agree. I think they are VERY handy more than extremely accurate. Mine have been more than accurate enough.

The tick marks are not perfectly accurate on the die, mine runs .0013 per mark it will get you close but you gotta measure the last little bit to get it perfect. Mine runs +-.001 on seating depth based on bullet imperfections.

I use the redding comp seater. The settings are repeatable and that is what i like about it. When switching between bullets adjusting to desired seating depth is easy. Redding is a reputable company and if you are not satisfied try talking to them. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.

i just got mine out the other day to test this i found that mine was dead on 90% of the time i measured and verified with calipers

i just got mine out the other day to test this i found that mine was dead on 90% of the time i measured and verified with calipers
If I understand you correctly, that means it's not accurate.

I'm not sure what's going on with the comp dies above but, my Redding Seater is exactly 0.001" per line. I've proven this over and over again without error. Give Redding a call, maybe they used the wrong thread on your die sets.

I thought the point of contact between the die and the bullet was far enough down to be considered part of the ogive??

I have found my depth yet. Just finished the OCW to find my charge and now I'm playing with seating depths to find the right one.

Can't comment on the Redding, but I have a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater for .308, and the ticks are dead on, every time. It was like $75. If the Redding is giving you that much headache, perhaps look for a Forster.

My redding dies are very accurate. but I measure the olive as overall length is too dependent on the bullet noses being uniform....and they are not.

"Anybody else discover that their "adjustments" aren't to spec in their die??? "

Not me. Of course I have discovered some consistant variations in my own use of calipers when trying to measure to a thousant of an inch off a curved surface. And I know that variations in press operation can easily produce variations of 1-2 thou when seating. I doubt a change in die brands will correct for either of those. Not that any rifle is all that fussy about tiny seating differences.

60% of the time, all the time...

sex panther...

yea it pushes on a random spot on the ogive and this measurement can varry from bullet to bullet even in the same lot.
no one to my knowledge makes a bullet seating die that pushes at the end of the bearing surface...

If you are talking about seating a bullet then trying to move it 5 thou deeper you are right it wont work.
At that point you have to overcome a lot of drag and everything in the process (including the press)takes up the pressure causing a different reading. Consistency is important here.

Also, I'm not sure how you are measuring the bullet depth, but (as mentioned) you can't measure off the tip of the bullet.

What you will find is the depth setting is very repeatable.

The distance of movement is based on the pitch of the threads and the spacing of the markings. Do you really think Redding doesn't have them correlated to give honest .001" increments? The only way a die would not give the correct movement according to the markings on it is if the threads were a different pitch or the markings were different in number or uneven. Not likely to happen.

I have my .308 seating die set to give me approximatley 2.800" OAL when placed at the .2 line. I dial it out 30 marks to the .230 line to get approximately my 2.830" magazine-suitible AOL. I stress approximately because you don't measure the OAL when checking the die. The stem pushes on the ogive and that is where you have to measure. Mine is dead on. Run it in or out 50, and there is a .050" difference in seating depth when measured at the ogive.. How can it be any other way?

the problem is the seater plug does not push on the ogive, and the random spot it does push on, can vary in lengths to the ogive... hence, off a couple thou or so from bullet to bullet...

i wouldnt worry about this though as there are too many other factors that effect veloicty and ES than this...

Mine is dead nuts .001". The only time it varies (measuring to Ogive) is when my neck tension varies. I hard seating bullet will always be a couple thou off from a normal seat.

the problem is the seater plug does not push on the ogive, and the random spot it does push on, can vary in lengths to the ogive... hence, off a couple thou or so from bullet to bullet...

I hear you. I load 175 grain SMK and have never experienced such variation, even measured to the ogive, amongst bullets from the same lot.

Anyway, to the op, I think you can rest assured the die is doing its part- at least as well as any other die could under the same circumstances.