• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding powder mesure question

niwot

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2006
Colorado
I bought a "like new" Redding 3br of a hide member. When I received the measure, I got online to look for a manual and realized I had received a br-30.

The markings on the mic go all the way to 100, though the max it will dial to is 80.

Even while set at 78 grains I was throwing 54 ish, which is consistent with a BR-30

Now I', trying to reconcile the 3BR advertised model number, the large scale on the mic, and the br-30 markings, and the max throw capacity.

So what do I have, a 3BR with a BR-30 mic, or is it just a BR-30?

Re: Redding powder mesure question

I don't believe the scale on the micrometer is intended to correlate to any particular weight. It's merely a reference. The micrometer on the 3BR is marked <span style="font-style: italic">MATCH-GRADE, Model 3-BR</span>. The micrometer on the BR-30 is marked <span style="font-style: italic">COMPETITION, Model BR-30</span>. The micrometer on the Model 3 is not designated. The handle knobs on the better measures have a straight contour, and the reservoirs are furnished with powder baffles; the Model 3 handle's knob has a tuliped contour.

The max charge capacity of 54 grains is about right for the BR-30. You can check with Redding to learn if the info on the micrometer markings that I have provided has been consistent throughout the production history.

[email protected]

Re: Redding powder mesure question

Thanks Winchester!

My measure is tulip shaped, and marked competition in addition to the br-30, as well as no powder baffle.

I'll ping Redding now that I have a better idea of what is going on.