• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Seating Stem- Who's cracked one?

Redding Seating Stem- Who's cracked one?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

No1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
somewhere on a mountain
Didn't want to hijack a different thread, but there was some discussion of cracking the seating stem on Redding Competition Dies when using compressed loads. All my loads are compressed that I'm running through the Redding Comp Seater- 1 is 110% density. Haven't cracked the stem.
So who has cracked a stem?
Was it with compressed loads?

I cracked one, but it was by accident when I set the die up after being in storage for 2 years. Nothing to do with a compressed load, and it was my fault. The lip over the E-clip cracked.

Mine didn't crack, it just bulged to the point that it wouldn't slide inside the sleve.

according to redding I've cracked 3...long story short: I had a die that was giving me fits with concentricity. Bought a vld seater stem from Sinclairs that one worked for a little while, then had increased runout again. Sent the die back to redding and they told me both stems were cracked. They sent me a new stem and die. Same story, sent that one back. Redding Sent another stem and my die back to me and told me not to use too much neck tension or powder compression.

Sold the die and since went to Forster dies or Wilson seaters.

that being said their customer service was excellent at the time...