• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Redfield vs. Leatherwood HiLux M40 Scope: Guidance

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Hey guys I am going to buy one of these m40 replica scopes for my new "modern m40" build. The question I have is what is everyone's opinion on which one of these is better. The redfield is a 1 inch tube and the leatherwood is a 3/4 inch tube. Am I going to see much better light gathering abilities out of the 1 inch tube over the 3/4? Also who has traditionally better glass and quality? The redfield will be more expensive and I know that technically very few people have out their hands in the leatherwood yet because it launches in November. However what I know about Hide guys are that they are never low on opinion! Here are the links please let me know what you guys would go with!

Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Optics: Introducing the M40 Tactical Hunter

Redfield 3-9x40 USMC M40 Commemorative Rifle Scope

Tube size really does not play into light transmission as most believe. The coatings on the glass make the most difference as far as how much light actually reaches the operator's eye. A larger tube will usually yield more adjustment for elevation/windage, sometimes a larger field of view. In the price range you are looking at, most features are a compromise to make it affordable, none are really top shelf.... But, they may serve your particular purpose well. I have looked through both brands (recently manufactured units) and they are pretty much equal with Redfield maybe slightly better resolution. Again, in this price range, the performance may be different from unit to unit so try to get hands on when spending your dollars! Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Hey guys I am going to buy one of these m40 replica scopes for my new "modern m40" build. The question I have is what is everyone's opinion on which one of these is better. The redfield is a 1 inch tube and the leatherwood is a 3/4 inch tube. Am I going to see much better light gathering abilities out of the 1 inch tube over the 3/4? Also who has traditionally better glass and quality? The redfield will be more expensive and I know that technically very few people have out their hands in the leatherwood yet because it launches in November. However what I know about Hide guys are that they are never low on opinion! Here are the links please let me know what you guys would go with!

Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Optics: Introducing the M40 Tactical Hunter

Redfield 3-9x40 USMC M40 Commemorative Rifle Scope

There's a guy on M14forum who rebuilds old redfields. I think he has one that is green annodized with a duplex reticule for 250$ right now.

For what it's worth, I have two Hi Lux/Leatherwood optics (a CMR and a M73 repro) and they're both damn good glass for the money.

HRF