• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reduced loads for 30-06?

RedTape

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2005
Oklahoma
I recently got an old Remington 700 ADL 22" barrel 30-06 from my Dad. It's rarely been shot and I'd like to turn it into a good hunting rifle. My favorite caliber is .308, which is plenty for these little Oklahoma whitetails. Any recommendations? I've had good luck with 150 gr Gamekings and SSTs out of my .308 and would like to stick with those bullets for now. Not having ever reloaded for a long action, I'm not sure where to start. (always used Varget in the past, but I'm not sure if it's the best powder choice for a light load in the 30-06 case). Thanks for the advice.

Re: Reduced loads for 30-06?

I would start with H4895 powder. Here a good reduce article:

Document2.jpg

Document3.jpg

I was just having a look at Hornady's 150gr SST page for .308. Muzzle velocity from a 24" barrel is claimed to be 2820. Figuring that a .308 22" barrel would probably produce somewhere around 2700, I don't think you really have to "reduce"

Lyman shows the accuracy light-load with H4831SC, while Sierra says that IMR4064 is accurate in the minimal load. You've got a wide variety of powders that will probably work, including Varget. I would simply recommend to stick to your favorite reloading manual and look for precautions for certain powders with light-load problems.

Really though, with a 150gr bullet the 30-06 is not going to produce a lot of recoil, even with a moderate powder charge. Though for any accurate load, just remember that higher velocities are going to shoot flatter and drift less.

Sorry I can't help more. I seldom load anything lighter than 175gr in my R700 30-06.

Good luck.

One last thing I just remembered. You might want to have a look at the Sierra GameKing 165 Grain HPBT, instead of the 150gr. My gunsmith swears by their accuracy.

Thanks for the info. I've always used 168 and 175 SMKs in my .308 for long range work, so I'll try some 165s as well.

You can save yourself some trouble with Remington's 'Reduced Recoil' .30-'06 loads. They employ a 125gr Corelokt with a reduced powder charge. The intent is to provide useable terminal performance and a similar trajectory to their Core-Lokt Express loads, while significantly reducing felt recoil. I would feel perfectly confident to use them on small Whitetails out to around 150-200yd.

My 'regular' deer load is the 150gr Core-Lokt Express. My Son-in-Law took a considerably bigger than average doe this year with an incredible one shot kill lasered (afterward) clear across a vineyard to just over 300yd using the 150 Core-Lokt Express out of a Ruger MKI Sporter. It shoots nice and flat, and has plenty enough terminal performance for N/E Woodland/Vineyard hunting.

Edited to add:

My attitude toward hunting loads is that I don't use enough 'for real' to be able to justify the work and bore wear associated with developing hunting handloads.

And God help me if one goes astray and I need to explain to a jury and lawyers why conventional commercial loads are so inadequate, and how my personal efforts did not contribute to their client(s)'s injury.

I wish I could assure us all that such explanations would never be needed. I can't.

You want a good hunting load, more pep or less pep, odds favor a successful search among commercial offerings.

Greg