• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing REID & HIS DOGS

well shes been sprayed by a skunk already treed some coons and we seen some HUGE MONSTER bucks at night.....we have called 4 coyotes we have seen walked up on at least 2 that bolted and talked to at least three with hand calls howling but wouldnt show themselves & have yet to even point my gun at fur.....finally last night on the last stand we walk out and i dont even take my pack off or the carbon tripod out......i take out the hand call let out two howls and just stand there for two minutes then as soon as i turn the headlamp on i catch eyes 60 yards out in a field and as soon as it turns it a 6 point buck...i watch him walk about 40 yards and my dog is meandering around & sees him then runs towards him and i lip squeak to stop her.........she stops stands there for a second i lip squeak again and shes comes straight back to me i then shut the light back off for 90 seconds......this time as soon as i turn the headlamp back on i see the set of eyes now straight out in front of me 80 yards tops and coming towards me and wonder why this lil buck would be doing this.........i turn off the headlamp & i light the gun light and bring it straight down on the eyes coming at me and its a coyote about 60 yards away now so i immediately lip squeak and he now turns about another 5 degrees and is headed exactly straight towards us and keeps coming........i lip squeak one more time and the coyote stops for a fraction of a second and i let lead loose right then as i had the gun on him freehand with the cross hairs on his chest as he approached.......he folds up DRT at 45 yards.........my baby runs straight out and gets her mouth full of fur as she was itching to bolt as he approached.......in the end i think the howls brought him to the brush edge where i couldnt see him but then i think he heard me lip squeak my dog back to me and may have even seen her as she did and came out to that the howls and squeaks....either way my baby was happy :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    536 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    648.8 KB · Views: 92
she treed some more coons and posed for a photo shoot or two but so far thats about it as i have been doing a bit of deer hunting trying to stay away from the pheasant property and the moons been out as well.....so between all the deer hunters and pheasant hunters we been going across the lake watching for deer as i know there is a big one there but the only vids i have with my cell phone are a couple does thus far....already shut off the traps as i think 14 coyotes two years ago then 15 more last year by December put a hurt one them for a minute around the house.........we did walk out a logging type road in some real tall woods four nights ago howled at one for two or three bursts then walked 15 feet off the trail & watched over one of the hill sides into the downwind as i figured that is where he would show if he did......waited about two minutes after the second time he howled back as he had cut the distance in half from originally hearing him....well he came close as in right up behind us on the logging road 15 feet away........my dog lifts her head for a whiff and bolts right back to the trail behind us and chases it back into the woods before i even see him or could say a word..........i should have stayed on the road......either way tomorrow we get to start the pheasant hunting as the pay to play guys are thru and the clean up starts.....supposed to be a bit windy BUT we also are supposed get out first stick on the ground snow tonight as well so thats just in time & should make it more enjoyable for the first day out this season! :cool:

p.s. i did forget that the night after we shot the first coyote we walked up on one that was in a brush finger that sticks out into a fresh cut cornfield.......i see him looking at my dog shut off the headlamp come down with the gun hes gone...i crank up the light and scope and i see he has went back the finger to the main brush woods patch and is moving so i definately know its a coyote...i set up my tripod quick let out a howl and 10 seconds later i catch eyes way down the field at the brush edge and put my gun on him immediately and let lead loose.....i see him stutter step but he doesnt look hit at all......by the time i walk out its about 300 yards and i didnt hold over or dial my CDS...i was lost in having my scope so dialed up which i never do i misjudged and blew it :p

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    924.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
so much for a nice snowy day.......today was drizzly rain mid 30 temps and 17/18 mph winds when we got to the spot and we were hunting by 1230...the spot we pulled up to had nobody but down the road was a truck on the other side.....before i could get set to go out i hear two shots on the side we wanted to walk out.......then by the time were ready two more shots so we walked to the side with the truck as i knew he was on the side i wanted......first field was a bust......so after we get back hes gone and we walk out on the side i originally wanted to hunt.......we get about 100 yards out and to the cornfield Super Girl stops and stares.......so i walk over to the trail shes staring down and there stands a hen.....it bolts into the woods and my dog kinda just watches......first thing i think is.....that dog dont hunt hahahahaha:p..........either way we walk the other way all the way around and almost back where we started and she goes hot & puts a hen up so i take it & it could have been the one i seen earlier ......i had decided as tough as the conditions were i was shooting whatever left the ground before we even seen a bird as we usually only shoot roosters at first but not today with these conditions....we leave there go to another field and its a bust as well.........the third field we walk out is probably the most hunted but i decided to try it anyway......she goes hot in about 5minutes and within 10 she put another hen in the air & i take it so our day was officially over.......i take her to one last field to try and get a vid of a flush before we leave........she goes hot about 15 minutes out and puts another hen up but before i can even get a vid.......we hunt another hour and finally we get where its not blowing so hard and she puts up the only rooster of the day & i got the vid.....she wasnt happy with no shot so she chases off into the woods where it landed and found it again and ran it 100 yards until she flushed it again where the woods ended....i had another vid with that but it wont play....all the birds were holding extremely tight with these weather conditions...she ended the day with 4 birds in the air and two hens to take home.....Super Girl worked hard in the wind and wet conditions and still made it happen......great day out and ready for tomorrow! :cool:

FLUSH VID
IMG_0775 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    886.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
today was low 30s and 12/14 mph winds.......we started hunting at 1220 and at 1240 she had the first rooster in the air....i proceeded to unload the Benelli and not remove one feather...we hunted the field for another 20 minutes with nothing then moved....the second field was a bust but we found some new cut fields that will work for night coyote calling........we get to the third field and within 5 minutes out she goes hot and 5 minutes later puts up a double of roosters and i take them both with a single shot each.....after that our day was over for birds.... i still wanted to get Super Girl on vid doing a flush so we walked back to the truck got rid of our birds and started out on the other side.........took about 10 minutes and Super Girl goes hot and it took another 10 minutes for her to put the fourth rooster in the air........she worked this bird in this heavily brushed ditch i couldnt even cross and when the bird left the ground he was on the other side and flew away from me so i couldnt vid that one.......we walked another 30 minutes with nothing so we go back to the truck so she could get a snack from her sack and half my baloney sandwich....i take her back out and it took about 15 minutes before she went hot then another 10 of work before she made the flush but it was the last rooster of the day and i got the vid i wanted.......this rooster didnt cackle and u can see the bird hit its wing on tree limbs as it goes into the woods.........Super Girl ended up putting 5 roosters up in half a day....we signed in number 50 today so to say there is a bit of competition is an understatement but she still came thru just like always and made for another great day out.....time for some rest tomorrows hunt is right around the corner :cool:

Flush Vid
FBZP0013 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
I've had 2 kemmer mtn curs over the years. Both have passed. Now i'm running a kemmer cur/jagd terrier cross for work. They're considerably smaller (32lbs), quicker and smarter with the same tenacity to want to work and please. Curs are a very versatile breed.
Gotta love em. Them old yeller dogs.

xdeano

today was 38 to 43 and sunny all day w/4 to 6 mph winds.......we got started around 1220 and at 1230 she had a rooster in the air and i missed with two shots......she worked the field another 15 minutes and up comes a hen i missed with one shot.......she hears the hen go towards some heavy brush/trees and goes that way so i folllow.......no sooner i bend down to get thru a few trees and Super Girl busts a double on roosters up 15 feet in front of us......i bang my gun on everything around me its so tight and miss them both with two shots...so we havent been in this first field 30 minutes and ive shot at everything in site without a feather being removed.....i gather my baby up and we head back towards the truck and before we can get there shes got another hen in the air and i take it with a one shot wonder.....we finally had our first bird after 5 in the air in 40 minutes........we leave and see the rooster on the road.....i wasnt gonna let her jump out as i dont want her doing that BUT i couldnt help it so i let her chase it off real quick.....we get to the next field and we walk quite a bit and are headed back to the truck and i start to bring her another way but she doesnt want it so i follow......100 yards later she locks up due to actually seeing the bird becasue these weeds were so thin and she can see me as well so then i freeze......i send her and we take a hen with a one shot wonder and have our two for the day.......i normally dont like to hunt that way and why i like chest high/head high grass cause my dog just finds & flushes the birds so its a surprise ILO a turkey shoot.....it was still great dont get me wrong.......we get back to the truck and i decide to take her to one more field to try for a vid/photo shoot and man was i glad i did.........she works 600 yards at least and most guys wouldnt have even followed her but i knew.......she gets in the weeds & freezes so i send her but it doesnt flush the first time so she goes again and the hen comes out.........she then leads us in what i estimated was a 400 yard circle and i know she has another bird or is on the same hen she just put up we r so close but i let her go........she gets in a weed patch locks again and i send her but she hesitates i move then she does and this time it was a rooster that came out......so now im satisfied that i got her on vid and start her back to the truck and before i can get her there she goes hot again in some super tall brush against a lake and puts another rooster in the air and just flushes it cause she knows i cant see her.......you can see the tall trees in the background cause she wasnt done after it flew........i stand there and can hear her as she goes at least 200 yards along the lake into the tall trees and puts him up again.......not sure why she wanted to lock on the birds towards the end as shes usually never does but either way i couldnt have been happier after all these vids transpired in 30/40 minutes at the end of our day.........Super Girl came thru and made it all worth it just as expected with another great day out...5 roosters & 4 hens in the air and she double dutied the last bird....i only hope tomorrow is half as good :cool:

Road Flush Vid:p
IMG_0906 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Hen Flush Vid
IMG_0952 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Rooster Flush Vid
IMG_0958 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last Flush Vid
IMG_0960 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    987.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
today was 38 to 43 temps again w/4 to 6 mph winds and overcast...we didnt get started until 140 and by 155 she had a rooster up but it had ran and left the ground at least 40 yards up so i never even raised my gun......she worked the field for another 30 minutes with nothing else so we moved....we walked out in the second field and about 15 minutes in shes got the second rooster in the air and he came up about 25 yards out & i unload my gun without removing a feather.....we walk for a bit & i see a path down into this water bowl in these trees......she runs in and up into the brush around the inside edge for about 90 seconds i follow her in and stand there and on her way back the same path a rooster leaves the ground 5 yards from me at the base of a tree......i spun on this thing like John Wick 1 2 & 3 and took it at about 10 yards........she gets a mouth full a feathers and is happy......we walk away from that spot and about 20 minutes pass until she goes hot again.........she works a 50 yard circle in over head high weeds for at least 10 minutes until she puts the fourth rooster up 10 yards right in front of me......i shoulder the Benelli unload my fire stick again without removing a feather......i couldnt believe i missed this bird out of all i have thus far.....i was more disappointed in letting my Super Girl down then anything after she just worked for 10 minutes to get the bird up........we move to our last field of the day and she goes hot after about 20 minutes and works for another 20 without a bird.....i think it may have been wounded and running around on her cause she did not want to give up on it but i eventually got her to walk away from the spot......we worked our way back towards the truck passed by it and started out the way most do........before we get 20 yards down the main path she puts a hen up at the edge of the woods and it flys back towards the truck and lands within 40 yards of it we were so close.....either way that was the last bird of the day......i shot at everything out there and only managed 1 of 5 she put in the air even though i didnt shoot at them all.......she got her 4 hours in with 4 roosters and 1 hen......she came thru as one would expect a Super Girl to do...... tomorrow should be another great day for the weather........hopefully she lets me go out in the woods with her after the bozo shooting skills i displayed today :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
today was 43 to 47 overcast at first then sunny after 3.....we hit the first field at 1220 and by 1235 she had trotted all the way to the other end 500 yards easy without really what most would call hunting even though i knew she was with that wind in her face and put the first rooster up...in the vid if u stop it just right u can see him at 24/25 second mark leave the ground.......i shoot twice but the second shot was a waste as he was already falling but i had nightmares from yesterday and shot to fast for the second shot to be honest....we leave that field 40 minutes later and hit the second one and she takes us on a very long trot.......... after about 30 minutes she goes hot and put this hen up that i did miss the first shot and had to take her with the second shot.........our day was over for the birds after that so i took her to another field to try and get an up close flush right next to her......while we were out we meet a guy by himself bird hunting about 30 minutes before its over for us and he hasnt seen any birds and he likes the dog and wants to see her work before the 3 min convo is over so i let him walk with us......i ask if he wants to shoot and he says he would rather not for whatever reason & i told him i already had my two......so then he said i could shoot for him since it was my dog......i told him he was more then welcome but he didnt want it.......either way we start to walk and within 100 yards my dog goes hot and puts a rooster up i waited to see what he would do and he didnt move so i emptied my gun with no result.....he got as excited as the dog then so i gathered her up and we started again.........within 200 yards my dog goes hot again but i think shes still on the bird i just missed but before i know it shes got rooster number two in the air.......i wait again thinking hes gonna let loose this time but nope......so i lift my gun again and unload with no results......now this guy is tickled pink with seeing Super Girls work & birds leaving the ground even though i havent hit a thing and have just shot the place up in 5 minutes time while he stood there just watching it all.......now im out of shells except one.....so i tell him its more less over now that im out and i need to go back and the day is ending anyway...he had a 20 gauge so i wasnt sure if thats why he wouldnt shoot which doesnt make sense but he couldnt give me ammo to shoot either...we get 400 yards from where we were and shes goes hot again and goes off into these trees.........i can hear her and then i see this rooster running in front of her.......i tell him this is the last chance and start the vid this time..........got it..........he SH!T his pants when i pulled it off with one shell left..........after that we walked out i gave him all the birds as he really wanted them and i was good with that as i could not shoot the last bird if it werent for him having a bird permit as well anyway.... earlier in the day before the last field she did go hot two other times and worked hard with no birds....Super Girl ended it with 4 roosters and 1 hen in the air...great day out and yet another one to remember for sure.....it aint braggin when u got a Super Girl that backs it up :cool:

Flush Vid 1 rooster
IMG_1192 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Flush Vid 2 hen
IMG_1232 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Flush Vid 3 rooster
IMG_1369 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 84
Reactions: Averageman
today was 38 to 43 with 7 to 9 mph winds & sunny so we couldnt stay home..... we got to the field same time 1220 and walked to the back.....she had the first bird up at 1250 and it was a hen...in the vid i can hear it out in front of her right before it leaves the ground..i shot way to fast and let two shots loose and missed completely.....i knew before i started my shells were getting low and with my hungry trigger finger and tomorrow being Sunday that i should only load two at a time for now........either way i gather her up and we get about 150 yards away from that spot and she goes off into this tall yellow grass again and this time i follow her in so i can get a close up vid.....she works in this grass for almost 7 minutes then finally she busts him out & the rooster leaves the ground right by us in that vid and exactly what i wanted to try and get.....i take it with one shot.......we recover the bird & then get out of the grass...i make her wait to calm down a bit and then we start out again..........she works her tail off for the next 20 minutes in a very large area that she just would not give up on.........u can see in vid number 3 that when it really got hot she got to moving so fast down the trail i had to stop chasing....some guys may have halted their dog but i knew the bird would just keep out running her so i let her go & just stopped because its much more important to me that my dog get to see the bird regardless of me shooting let alone seeing it myself as i know there are more and its much more important to me that she makes contact regardless....either way no sooner then i do within 2 seconds the rooster leaves the ground about 30 yards out right in front of those evergreen trees u can see in the background of the vid and i wasnt gonna not shoot now after Super Girls effort......i let lead go and missed then let lead go again and folded him up at least 40+ yards out........the bird fell into the largest tallest thickest sticker patch in the field but i got in there and got it as Super Girl doesnt retrieve.... she flushes them expects me to fold them & she eats feathers wherever they hit the ground & she was already in there waiting for me........its now been 1.5 hours and we have our two birds for the day so i decide to take her home and save her as this was our 6th day in a row....we get back to the truck and before i can get my gear off shes went hot right next to the parking lot and the weed patch next to it then bounced on her front feet looking for the bird as shes crosses the road and i hear a car coming from down the road a ways so i bolt across the road and turn on the vid.........she busts a rooster up right there at the road brush line before i can even get her in the truck.......we did get some more shells on the way home since it was still so early....Super Girl ended the day with 3 roosters and 1 hen in the air in 2 hours by the time we got to the truck and she put that last one up.... just a Super Girl makin Super Times :cool:

hen flush vid
CBXH9252 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr
First rooster flush vid
Truck rooster flush vid

rooster flush vid
IMG_1408 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

workin for a bird vid
WNQL1487 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

parking lot flush vid
IMG_1464 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
Reactions: Averageman
today was 33 to 35 with overcast skys...we started about 1240 and she got after it.....she worked hard but didnt get anything off the ground and the first field was a bust so we crossed the road to the next piece.....she worked her way all the way back to this tall yellow grass again and went off inside so i followed again......she worked for about 4 minutes before she lead us around this sticker bush and the bird leaves the ground about 3 yards to my right with my baby right in front of me........i tried for the vid again but it didnt work out......i did take it with one shot and we leave the grass......she works hard for a good while and nothing else so we went back to the truck and hit another field.......she worked hard again and finally put us next to the hen that i backed up into and it left the ground behind me and again i missed the vid......i took it with one shot as well.....i posted these because these vids represent why more often than not im away from my baby so she busts them out but i got greedy wanting more vids of her working.......she put us on the bird both times and gets full credit no matter what anyway.....as well im sure as long as she hears the bird leave the ground the fire stick light and gets a mouth full of feathers shes happy so ill take it as well.....either way we had our two birds for the day and Super Girl worked for a good 3.5 hours to get them so i took her back to the truck and called it a day :cool:

rooster flush vid
IMG_1536 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

hen flush vid
IMG_1678 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Super Girl Celebration vid
IMG_1688 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
got to the woods Saturday and found lots of spots and lots of deer hunters....it finally got dark and we started calling....made a couple stands just seeeing deer and opposums....the Thermion 2 is absolutely stunning to view thru.....about 1100 we get to a spot and call rabbit for about 6 minutes then i just stopped for 5 and lit up a single female howl for a few.....waited about 5 minutes then did it again with nothing showing.....started gathering my gear when my dog growls and bolts back behind us....i pick up my gun immediately cause my dog doesnt do that for nothing....stepped back thru what was a single 6 row of corn and we were calling facing east over a 400 long 75 yards wide opening with tall weeds after that....she bolts back west so i go to the other side of the corn row and shes already going back into it and back to the side where we were just at......i walk right back and look down the field to the north and there is the coyote 75/80 yards just trotting across the field to the east.....i lifted my gun immediately and pulled the trigger and CLICK....either i had another shell not fire like the range the other day OR i didnt have it loaded......played reindeer games with shells and clips BUT got it out & back in then lifted the gun again and now hes 150+ from the noise and i let lead loose...heard a whack and seen dirt fly up behind the coyote even and watched him run run run......thought to myself i know it was a ways freehand but how did i miss that....i walked to where i seen it last and my dog is searching the field for scent and within 2 minutes of the shot shes off in head high weeds and within 60 seconds has the coyote......i had to wade in and finish it and she got bit in the process as well but we got it....found i hit the coyote 4" back and 3" to high with the freehand shot at that distance.....it could have put here eye out as it bit here right on it BUT luckily its just surface wound on her eye lid not eye.....after that i thought it best to bring her home put some meds on her and call it a day...even though i didnt react fast enough to remember to record it we still had a great time....i will need a monocular to add to my gear and plan to just buy another scope as i dont need a 4k paperweight if my scope were to malfunction which i dont expect but for 1k more i can have two scopes ILO a scope and spotter......again most wouldnt do it this way but i am......just waiting to see whats new from Pulsar for the Thermion series this season before i purchase...if it wasnt for my dog i most likely wouldnt have known that coyote was there let alone find it in head high stickers and weeds..also i was so caught up with the shells i didnt even think about the video i needed to start...thing is i wasnt even smart enough to start it like i should have when she growled and bolted i just forgot ..were gonna get it together though and other then my dog getting bit it was good times:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    623.8 KB · Views: 79
  • img_053.jpg
    img_053.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: crackerbrown
havent seen much but deer and opposums until Monday night....walked about 600 yards straight north from the truck out a plowed up path with a bean field on the west and next to a 50 yard wide tree line on the right......got to where there is a tree line that runs east to west that divides another field and its about 150 yards wide where we go thru to the other field....got half way thru and hear coyotes back towards the truck light up and go wild so i stop for a second and before i can start to walk again i hear coyotes right by us light up....i start the scope walk forward with my gun to my chest then realize they are right around this corner so i bring the gun up and walk the rest of the way.....then as i get there and round this corner i start to see them and i take to many steps to see them and they start to scatter...i should have hit the first one when i seen it....either way i let a round go low of the first one and then remembered i could still shoot and let one go low on the next one...its hard to see with the wobbling as im walking but there were 6 total....to me the best part of the whole vid is at the start when my Baby comes back around the corner cause shes already seen them and runs up to me like get the gun out dude....then turns and is ready to go....LUV IT......its the most coyotes we have seen at once since seeing 5 during the day once which i went over earlier in the thread.........either way this was epic for me and my Baby..i blew it taking to many steps BUT it was still worth every second getting to see it....i searched for ten minutes for blood but knew i didnt connect & as well i let my Baby go in a lil ways to make sure then called her back...we went ahead and still walked another 100 yards out to the spot and called even with one of the coyotes warning barking us......i only tried challenge and he would answer but he wasnt coming in after the war noise i had just thrown down slinging lead at him and his buddies...the spot could have produced a coyote from 400/600 yards the other way and why i called anyway....thought there was 7 but recounted & think there was only 6.....great times:cool:

Stephy & 6 Coyotes vid 72 degrees 65% humidity
video_061 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

i gave my Baby the night off Tuesday but we went back out yesterday......got to the field about 545 and started walking north out a grass trail with a bird refuge on the right and a bean field on the left for about 200 yards then it turn into a block of woods about 300 yards....got about 500 yards out and then cut thru the woods to the west about 25 yards and the block of woods stops and it opens into a bean field 500x500....got about 20 yards thru the cutthrough and see i see a coyote out in the field about 120 yards to the north....as soon as i seen him he must have heard my last step and looked toward us...i stopped for a second to see a small tree i could rest my gun on....started the scope & i took two steps lifted the gun as i did & set it right in a tree branch crook got the coyote in the sight and let lead loose......DRT right there at 6 oclock....the whole thing took 5 seconds from when i first see him to the shot...forgot to get a vid but got a coyote........my Baby ran out and got a mouth full of fur...called several spots the rest of the night and only seen deer coons and opposums......the moon is bright right now obviously so im sure thats not helping anything but that will change eventually...got about 15 minutes towards home and seen another coyote standing next to the road......another great night out:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    852.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
landed about the same time tonight and walked 1/2 mile out only to find a deer hunter had walked 1/2 mile from different way to same spot so i went back to the truck.....it was finally dark now and found a new spot i walked straight out a grass trail about 500 yards with a lake on my right and left side head high weeds....the grass trail goes 1000 yards out to the south but when the lake ends at 500 yards a bean field starts....i get to the bean field walk about 75 yards to the west and start to set my stuff up as there were two deer that ran about 120 yards out into the field then went east into the tall weeds....before i can finish getting the call out but after im setting and have my gun up i scan and see the deer coming back out......then i look again and its a coyote coming out where the deer just went in......i start to scramble to get the call lit as he meanders south down the bean field next to the tall weeds....he goes over a knoll before i start the rabbit and can no longer see him....i then wait all of 30 seconds and lit lone howl then waited all of a minute and lit pup distress pretty loud for 20 seconds and stopped....i was over calling obviously BUT i dont think it could hear with the wind so i stopped as i didnt see him......then less then 30 seconds later i see him coming right back north on the edge of the bean field where he just left....i go to start the video and im actually magnifying the scope with the wrong button.......after i get finished with the reindeer games and get the scope back to base mag the coyote is already back to where i think i seen him come out.....he stops for a split second and i let lead loose.....he then spun three times and started across the bean field left to right about 120 yards out in front of me.....i get on him head height and let lead loose again and its over his back.....i regroup and hes still running and i let lead go again and he goes down....my Baby runs out and gets her mouth full of fur and barks at this one since she got bit a few days ago i think shes still mad...unloaded my gun did a photo shoot of my Baby & went to another set.... see a coyote on this set coming from 600 yards up the middle the largest field there and he was 600 yards out BUT i could see him running north in the weeds towards me......he got to some taller stuff and i never seen him again.....he had a meal already and wasnt running to my hand call howls OR he winded us as the wind was northeast and we sat in the northeast corner calling to him in the southeast....then as we walked out to the last stand i caught a bobcat deer and my Baby in one pic of the scope...we cant hunt bobcats....i see the cat and lip squeaked him up to where my dog was and then he ran off after he caught sight of her......another epic night out:cool:

Stephy w/Down Coyote VID
video_071 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

My Baby Gettin Her Fur VID
video_072 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

My Baby w/Bobcat & Deer VID
video_076 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
skunks deer and opposums was all we seen last night....the cloud cover would break at the most inopportune times....dont know if that hurt but it didnt seem to help.....tonight we landed right before dark and walked out 500 yards straight north of the truck where we seen the 6 coyotes...we stopped right before the east west tree line to the next field as the wind was coming from the northeast and blowing right out over the bean field........i sat up right next to the north south tree/weed line looking to the west and started the call with woodpecker for about 4 minutes then stopped for about a minute then started again...after about 2 minutes i see this coyote coming from the south in the field straight north about 140/150 yards out....now im finally out in front of one and gonna get my first vid.....get it started and get on the coyote and he doesnt seem to be interested in my woodpecker....as u can see in the vid i start getting off track trying to play it louder then looking at the call ILO woofing him i start to play with the call to change it thinking he may come closer and he then starts over the knoll with head high weeds....well after i reindeer game the call i have no idea what sound comes out BUT it stops him long enough to get him in the thermal and send lead.....my baby went out to find him and this time i found the coyote first
tt2
.....he had ran about 30 yards right back the way he came and was layimg right at the bean field edge....she was down in the heavy weeds/ditch between the fields going ballistic looking...she finally got her fur on.....called some more sets but it was misting now and we were both hit so we came to the house......great night out:cool:

Coyote Vid 55 degrees 97% humidity
video_085 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & Coyote VID 55 degrees 97% humodity
video_086 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie112
been a tough couple weeks with nothing showing up to the call....seen bucks fighting last night turkeys roosting in trees...seen another coyote on the way home and had fox in the backyard waiting when we got home...tonight as we walked about 500 yards to the north bean fields on the left brush line on the right and as i got to where i wanted to set i see what i think is a coyote out in the next field about 300/350 yards out so i get set up....then as i look thru the scope less then a minute later there are two now and the two turn into three.......then before i know it number 4 comes trotting into view and starts across the field....i do a zoom to try and make sure i know what im seeing and then get back to base mag and try a howl.....that doesnt stop the moving coyote...now i start to scramble and get the call lit as the other three are gonna follow the first one....i light up pup distrees and they stop and just stare over......before i can even make another move i have yet another coyote now moving right in front of me about 35/40 yards straight out......i whistle and he starts to stop and me with my rushed shot trigger jerking BS i hit the coyote in the rear...i should have hit him again right then but my dog usually bolts after the first shot and i wanted to b careful as i couldnt see her and why i kept whistling as well throughout the vid..either way he spins then starts across the field so i get on him send lead again and its just to the right of him missing....he runs a bit further lays down and just as i go to try to finish it he stands just as i shoot and i hit him in the rear again....my dog then gets out there and bays him up until i can finish it.....less then desirable shooting to say the least but we got the coyote....my Baby got her fur on and it was another great night out:cool:

Fox in back yard 45 degrees 85% humidity VID
video_112 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

4 Coyotes 300/350 yards 42 degrees 75% humidity VID
video_122 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

3 Coyotes 300/350 yards 42 degrees 75% humidity VID
video_123 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & her coyote

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    461.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
been out a couple times since we took the last one......got to send lead last Friday night at a coyote at about 225+ but i was way low and when i reviewed the vid i was between his legs at the ground when i lit the fuse so i didnt have a chance...i had gotten about 50 yards from the truck realized i didnt have my phone took my gear off walked back got it and when i got back 4 minutes later and got my gear on the coyote is walking away about 150 yards out in the bean field but by the time i get the gear back off and set up hes 225+ easy and the BS shot was with to much shake as i let myself get rattled scrambling to set up and when the adrenaline hit it was over.....either way we spent a few nights at home after that as my Baby had a sore foot from what i think was a bean stubble stalk so we gave it a rest for a few days.....got back out tonight and called a coyote in with the wind in my face......first time i ever did that as i usually hunt into the downwind as i did when i used lights...either way i heard a few coyotes about 400 yards away start howling so i let out a few howls with my hand call.....then i just set for 4/5 minutes silent and then after the silence started some rabbit....took less then 5 minutes and i caught him inside the weeds coming from the direction of the howls and right before he broke out into the cut corn so i got the vid started....it was as well extremely horrible conditions for the thermal tonight as it had rained earlier in the day.....regardless after he gets out into the corn field i whistle to try to stop him but it doesnt work the first time....then just as i whistle again the caller comes back on after one of the pauses in the sequence and just as this happens he stops at about 80 yards....i regroup and send the lead and it was over....my baby was happy once we got out there and she got her fur on.......another great night out:cool:

Coyote Vid 35 degrees 85% humidity
video_142 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• img_146.jpg
    img_146.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    441.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
most shootouts i seen were at HIGH NOON but the one i participated in tonight was at HIGH MOON....called a few spots and didnt see anything except a small 6 point buck my dog barked at and when my dog came back to me the lil buck ran right up to where she was just standing after she had just barked at him...pretty funny when i watched it happen....then she had a show down with a tiny opposum that must have heard us walking and he burst out of the woods only to find her standing right there and he froze obviously...she doesnt even do anything when we see them now other then sniff them and go on.....got to the next to last set and started out with some hand call howls played a bit of rabbit then finished this set with some coyote challenge....found myself gazing around as the set was basically over and then just as i scanned back directly into the downwind there were 2 coyotes standing right there about 60 and 70 yards....i begin to get my dog back as she finds it necessary to set directly out in front of the gun and even though its not gonna hit my dog i dont light the gun with her in front of it that close due to the noise....either way i get her behind me and go to shoot the farthest coyote first but it hears me trying to get my dog and starts to leave....so i go back to the closer one immediately and get settled and shoot it.....as soon as i do i know the other is gonna be running and try a shot that goes left of the coyote....my dog bolts so now i gotta watch her if i wanna shoot again....shes running straight away and so is the coyote so i shoot again and go right of the coyote this time.......he runs further and i try another long shot and shoot behind the coyote this time....after it was over i decided from here on out i wont shoot with my dog running out there like that when shes to close...if she was to dart on me at the wrong time it would be ugly and its not worth that...i as well thought about what a bad shot on the coyote would mean after as well and i dont wanna be that guy either...it was still a blast having a shootout & firing a few rounds at the runner....tomorrow its gonna rain so its gonna be a couple days before we try again..... it was another great time out:cool:

Coyote VID 52 degress 97% humidity
video_153 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
its been about 10 days since we been to our one and only public property with fields to hunt coyotes as they started having the pheasant hunts and i didnt want to tease my Baby so we havent been there at all.........we did go to some woods and try some daytime but theres just to many people out slinging slugs...tomorrow though we get to start our pheasant hunting since the pay to play ends today....should be absolutely great weather hunting birds this entire week and we can go back to the coyotes at night since she will have had her fill of birds each day.....18 hour countdown to some feather fluffing:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
i did get a beaver removal job as they been causing land errosion and i been at that the last 4 days.....first days check i had 3 coyote traps set off and NO beaver..told the property owner and that i was to cocky and thought i could get it done with them but it blew up in my face first check with 3 set off and no fur..woke up real quick and traded some other traps i had and got me some real beavers traps and today we got our first after starting 4 days ago and the first night with the correct traps........pretty decent beaver at 53#....caught him on a dam passover in a TS85 shown in the first set pic and a sliding cable drowner rig..also caught a couple coons in my beaver sets with the cyote traps and let them go....got the job and in return for trapping the beaver i get to hunt coyotes on his property...made a few snare sets today to add to the arsenal....its also on the way to hunt pheasants so that helps a lot....tomorrow we will trap check on the way then go hunt pheasants and call for coyotes at the pheasant property after or on the way home at this new private property as he has a nice field i can access easily from where i park.....hopefully its gonna be a great week of hunting and trapping:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    910.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    672.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    621.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    584.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
pic of the beaver on the tailgate to get size perspective as i said he came in at 53# i told the property owner he might be 60 when i showed him.....couple vids of the coon release action and the one from today when we got the beaver...not sure why he doesnt want them gone as well but its not my business either way:cool:

p.s.my Baby got out of the truck first day at the beaver job and got LIT UP by the electric fence right out of the gate and now she doesnt even get out when i do the traps...i tried to warn her but she yelped got in the truck and hasnt been out of the truck at the beaver job since:love:

First coon release VID
IMG_0320 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Second coon release VID
IMG_0326 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    970.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
got out to the traps about 930 and by 10 was on our way to hunt birds.....the beaver had covered my pass over set...i have yet to move the castor mounds that got set off the first night so i dont expect much from those after the education i gave them at those sets....i will have some new waders i been wanting for river hunting so i got them coming hopefully this week and i can get in this creek higher then my rubber boots and move the sets to different locations....

took off and got the the pheasant hunting property about 11 and all the good spots were taken so we got the last pickens..she worked for 45 minutes before she went hot and caught a hen running out in front of her about 10 yards...she bolted it went in over your head weeds she dove in and up came the hen......it happened so fast i wasnt even ready to get a vid so we went back to the truck and for a drink...walked the other direction this time and it took about 20 minutes and she went hot and started in.....she worked for at least6 minutes working her way back towards the truck and she must have gone 300/400 yards just going crazy....in the vid u see her break out of the weeds into the cut and she runs straight up and stops cause im sure she lost the scent as the wind was in her face.....well right as she stops the rooster more less brushes his wing on her rear end and lights off as she had stopped more less on the bird ...u can see her spin like lightning in the vid when the bird lights off.....i missed the first shot clean regrouped and took him with the second shot at about 30 yards.....Super Girl got her feathers on and we were on the board...

after that we went back to the truck had a baloney samich and took off to the next field...we werent out of the truck 15 minutes and she puts a hen in the air i just recorded....about 20 minutes after that another hen up and i just recorded that one as well....she hunted pretty hard for maybe another 30 minutes before she went hot again....this time it was another rooster.....i also was a bit to close and got a bit to anxious....soon as the bird left the ground i barely got him in the vid and dropped the phone..,,then proceeded to light him up a bit to close.....u can see feathers float by me in the vid it was so close.....we were in some tight stuff but i still had time and just got to trigger happy to quick to get a better vid and it would have been a good one....

we ended the bird part of the day after that and waited for dark made a few sets but it was to early IMO after all the feather fluffers in the field the last few days...it started to get windy so i decided to save it for tomorrow.......

Super Girl ended the day with 5 birds in the air in about 3.5 hours of hunting....since shes gettin older i dont wanna run her as hard as she used to go and still would if i let her but i just dont let her so she can get more days in overall......either way another great day huting & tomorrow is only round 2 :cool:

p.s. almost forgot i gave my birds to two old guys i seen hunting that didnt get any and now i get to hunt their land for coyotes.....also every other hunter i seen was crying about not seeing birds and they had dogs as well...couple guys had two dogs and no birds

Super Girl rooster flush #1 VID
OPAR0872 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Super Girl rooster flush #2 VID
IMG_0450 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
well i got a text last night and the beaver job got cancelled so i went and got my gear on the way to hunt today...i type on all my permission slips for trapping around my lake every year that they can cancel for any reason any time thru text phone email so i did the same on this one....not sure but i think the guy might have had a medical issue....he sends a text and says sorry hes cancelling and he would contact me in the spring...then this morning before i could get there to get my gear he sends another text saying his issue may clear up before the end of the year....hopefully hes just blowing me off and doesnt have a medical issue as it doesnt bother me either way but if he has a medical issue hopefully hes gonna be ok....

after i got the gear picked up we made it over to the public property to chase birds about the same time...she hunted 3 fields without even really going hot..i did cacth that her sore foot from the bean stalk cut coyote hunting got scraped again so its kind of bothering her.....after i seen it bothering her i took her back to the truck and i covered it with medical tape and she seemed fine the rest of the day other then not liking the tape on her foot..i think the fact that they mowed more this year let the pay to play guys without dogs get more birds...which is only fair to be honest..as i would have been mad the last few years if i had paid and didnt have a dog....i did not pay & i have Super Girl & knew it was tough last couple seasons but it left lots of birds for clean up...either way we hunt field number 4 for about 30 minutes....when she finally goes hot it only took about 2 minutes and she gets a rooster to lift......i take it with one shot and she gets over there to get her feathers.....i get over to her and bend down to pick up the bird...i get her off of it she looks away from me and lunges away from me and the dead bird....before i can do anything another rooster lifts less then 4 feet from us and right as shes going for it....i stand lift the gun and take it with one shot....wasnt a real double but kinda wild how the one bird falls less then 5ft from the other....then my dog sees it after i get her off the dead one...it was fast thats for sure........i put meds on her foot at home and we shall see tomorrow how she feels....if i think shes gonna be ok we will do round 3 otherwise she may need a day off......great day out today:cool:

Stephy rooster flush VID
IMG_0570 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
well we hit the field today about 115 and by 145 she put a hen in the air i took.........she hunted really hard for the next 1.5 hours going hot on one and the bird running her into the woods and flying away from us.......about 30 minutes after that she gets another hen to lift that i shoot at twice and miss completely so i whistled her back immediately so she doesnt burn her energy.........took about another 25 minutes and she busts a rooster loose and i unload the gun this time without removing a feather.........but this time she wont let it go as she sees it drop into the edge of the woods 60 yards over and she goes in and the chase starts again.......it goes on for about 45 seconds my dog yelps as she hits the stickers to hard chasing the bird and right as she does he lifts again.....problem is hes over 30 yards in and by the time i could shoot he was 40 so i let it go.....my baby wasnt happy but i knew it was to far.........she hunts hard for another hour and right as its gettin time to quit she goes hot...........she works this bird in the woods for at least 3 minutes back and forth..........then she comes out to the trail busts into the other side of over your head brush and as soon as she does she goes about 10 yards & i see a hen lift about 30 yards up in front of us but there was just to much brush to shoot.........after we get back to the truck she gets in & gets a drink and lays down.......then when she gets back out to eat some baloney i see my Baby limping and she had twisted her leg on the last chase and she had a swollen joint on her front right leg so we called it a day......if its still swollen tomorrow we may have to call it a season for the birds.......the last chase was the fastest and it was in a ditch and somewhere she stumbled and hurt her leg like a twisted ankle.......she still ended the day putting 5 birds in the air & one of them twice.... i shot at 3 but only pulled off one today and we had two runners that flushed to far out......other then my Babies sore leg it was a great day out:cool:

Stephy & hen flush VID
IMG_0413 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Hen flush 2 shot miss VID
IMG_0626 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Rooster flush 3 shot miss VID
IMG_0752 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
my Babies leg was still swollen this morning and she was still hobbling on it a bit so we stayed home from the pheasant hunt......waited all day and knew it was gonna be a great night out weather wise......we made a couple sets and only seen deer other then one set the coyote came up behind us about 50 yards as we had walked out about 100 yards to far...i just wanted to get a bit further out as the field opened up more but it was just to far....my baby smelled the coyote bolted back but he was gone before i could see it but when she barks theres a coyote.....also seen two coyotes across the road by a cattle barn/feed lot but its no go for hunting.....left that spot and parked started to the stand and looked down the rail road tracks and seen 5 about 600 yards down running around then they were gone into the woods....walked up to the same set we called the last double only this time the wind was in our face and we usually dont call like that.....either way i played rabbit lone howls and ended wiuth challenge but nothing came so i packed it up.....gave one more scan after i had my pack on and there are now two coyotes about 500 yards down at the edge of the field....i start to take my pack off and before i can get it off the adrenaline runs through me like lightning as i go into scramble mode....30 seconds later im set back up scanning and they are gone...i light the call back up to what i had playing last and it was challenge......last time on the Shockwave when the two came in this time i got the Roughneck back out.....soon as i light the challenge back up they step out 2 seconds later.....they come down the field about 250 yards or so then one stops......i get anxious and send lead but its low and a complete miss.....so i go to the other coyote and hes running full steam and i let lead loose again and miss low bad...so now i go back to the first coyote which is way to far now but i throw lead again but the coyote wasnt even in the screen and was behind a knoll when i let it go......completely blew the shooting....my Baby scoward the field where they came and left and i walked out and we checked for blood.... i let her run and followed her at least 600 yards and even let her go into the woods and brush a bit with nothing.....i said i wasnt gonna do another shoot out but since my Baby wasnt in the pic i just couldnt help it...really just a waste of my ammo to be honest.......either way we had fun & my Baby was running around just fine even though her leg is still swollen shes gonna be ok.....not the result we wanted but another great night out:cool:

Two called coyotes 3 shot miss 43 degrees 85% humidity VID
video_165 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
this last Wednesday 12/8 two days ago we got to get back out coyote hunting after a couple days in the house...made a few stands with nothing....soon as we sat down to make this stand i light up some howls and coyotes respond about 500/600 yards away....i stay quiet a bit then light up challenge female wait a couple minutes then light challenge male....after that i wait another 4/5 minutes and light coyote fight....i go silent for a few minutes then see a coyote coming from the direction of the howls.....i get the vid lit up and get ready as i watch him coming in.....he stops i get anxious and send lead right in front of him then again right after and miss again....so i try and get my bearings and try again right behind the coyote.....he gets into the corn but i can see him moving thru it so i try and get in front of him again but i cant see him well enough now......then he pops out and i make one last shot and connect...i get up to start out to help my dog finish it if necessary and realize i dont have any ammo left.....like a fool i have just walked out with a less then half full clip put on a shooting exhibition with less then the desired results and now i am empty....when u r stupid u r stupid and theres no getting around it...some try to explain it away and it makes them sound even more stupid....im saying it here myself i was stupid....now my Baby is working the field looking for the coyote and i can hear her finally start baying the coyote as i jog all the way back a half mile to the truck to get ammo....it takes me 8 minutes to leave my Baby and to get back to the field & as soon as i get out of my truck as i drove back my Baby is not barking now......so the coyote is dead OR its got away and i know this before i even get back out there.....either way we couldnt find the coyote and it was extremely disappointing as the only reason we didnt was because of my stupidity and i wasnt just letting my Baby run into the super tall grass to search...the grass was the wheat looking stuff over my head next to the field and i wasnt just letting her run into that and get bit like the first coyote of the year did her...went back to the truck again which is now closer and then realized i wasnt gonna be happy until we looked in the tall grass for the coyote...so i decided to leash my Baby and walk her in where she wanted to go but with a good white light ILO of her just running in herself in the dark... finally when i walked her into the head high stuff where she wanted to go we got the coyote & did her photo shoot....another great night out:cool:

p.s. the mistake i feel i made this set after the fact upon review was not starting the call back up to the fight as soon as i seen the coyote and maybe keeping him from hesitating and me then taking rushed what i think are closer then they really are shots....ill get it right though

Coyote VID
video_168 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    636 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
last night Thursday 12/9 we had to get out again because tonight is rain & storms all night and high winds tomorrow....made several sets with no response but heard coyotes all night.....got out to the last set which is a repeat of where we called the last two doubles.....most wouldnt keep hunting the same spots but when its all u got u do it anyway.....used my new sequence of lone howl then challenge then fight....took about 15 minutes just like the night before using this sequence at the other set and as well this time i see him before i get up to leave......he shows right directly in the downwind as i expected....this time the call was still playing but i still got anxious when he wasnt coming any further then the field edge...so i send lead and connect....as soon as i do i shoot him two more times so i dont get another weed runner on my hands....even after that the coyote still managed to get over 50 yards from where he was shot and thats with one perfectly in his side....my Baby found him laying dead in the cornfield when we got out there & he was a big male......thats 5 we called in the same spot in three weeks or less...after my Babys photo shoot we called it a night.....another great night out :cool:

p.s. we also went early enough so i could use the rangefinder on some of these shots we have been shooting as they seem a bit farther then expected when i go to walk out to get the coyotes....the coyote i shot Wednesday was at 210 when i shot first and 260 when i connected....the coyote we shot in this post after i walked out to get it im guessing was over 200....i am going to need to be more patient to get them in a bit closer or maybe start letting some have a pass to stop some of the runners

p.s.s. the coyote from tonight i almost forgot only had 3 1/2 legs and still came to fight...half one of his front legs was missing and had been for a long time

Coyote 35 degrees 90% humidity
video_171 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 52
  • img_172.jpg
    img_172.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
last night 12/11 we made it back out after the wind had subsided......got to the first set and when i go to remove my Roughneck i realize the call has been on.....set it out any way and light howl and it stops half way thru so i know the batteries arent gonna cut it....this could have been ugly as i had just lost me best howler which was a Carver distress open reed that i hogged out the bell with a dremmel and began to use it to howl and it was perfect tone but its gone lost at a set now.....either way i had taken one of my Rick Pallet distress and did the same thing to it and made a new reed for it yesterday before we left and it was working nice for howling now as well......so now that my caller is dead i pull it out and start in with some howls and then go to my version of challenge....i see a coyote out in the field over 600 meandering in knee high grass mousing and could not get him to move towards me....i tried to make some distress which i can still do with the call and he lifted his head both when i howled and made distress but would not move towards me......i finally realize hes not gonna come so i pack up and do one last field scan.......as soon as i do i see a coyote coming from upwind right next to the field were calling out into....i get the vid lit get on the coyote and watch him approach......i let him come as close as he would until i think he seen us or heard us.....as soon as the coyote stops the adrenaline that hit me in that split second just turns my arms to rubber as im standing with my pack on holding on the coyote freehand....you can see the difference if u watch the retical as the coyote approaches then watch it after he stops.....u can physically see me start to wobble BAD as the adrenaline hits my blood.....i get totally anxious and start sending lead and it was an abomination to shooting there after
tt2
.....im wobbling so bad from the rush i cant even hit the coyote at 25 yards then proceed to chase him with seven more rounds and misses as he bolts across the field....it was a laugh and embarrassment all wrapped into one.....we walked out and i let my dog chase a bit out into the field in case the coyote would be stupid enough to come back to her barking but he obviously didnt.....i was still extremely proud of calling the coyote with my hand call so that was a real plus i took away from it....im also making things way to hard on myself by not having a scanner yet and waiting for shot show 2022 to see whats new.....most dont show these embarrassing moments but its just part of hunting....another great night out:cool:

p.s. right as we come out of the field from this set we had the game warden pull up & check my license and i talked to long telling the story we just made while showing my license......mainly becasue i wanted to go try and call the coyote that i seen at 600 cause i knew the one that came wasnt it.....so by the time i get over there park and as soon as i get to the field where i see the coyote he is now less then 10 yards from the waterfowl safety area......i let out a howl he looks and i go to set up my tripod ILO freehand.....i get it set up look again and cant see him.....then he bounces up thru the weeds inside the safety area twice trying to get a mouse im sure and i never see him again...i tried some squeaks with my squeaker i use to call my dog back to me to pull him back into the field but no go so we ended the night

Coyote hunt 8 shot miss VID
video_174 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
went out again 12/12 called another coyote but it had ran up behind us and i didnt see it until we were leaving as it was in another field we had to walk along to get back to the truck...i knew it could happen and we should have called the first field...i did get the tripod set up and the gun on him but he had to be 300+ and just meandered away as i think he seen me due to the moon light....made it out again last night 12/16 and called a coyote on the second set....me and my baby were facing south the wind was west to east and the call was out in front of us about 40 yards.....i was watching further down the brush line i knew the coyote would show at and most likely walk down towards the call ....the only problem is he showed at the brush line directly downwind of the call and i when i scan back close enough i finally see him standing there wiffing the air & the rabbit pee scent off my call....i put the gun on him let lead loose and felt i dropped him there even though i seen the smallest movement after i shot him.....my Baby ran out and i got up and followed.....before i knew it i as well as my Baby were racing back and forth up and down the brush line not finding our dead coyote......i finally get thru the brush line and on the other side and my Baby cuts loose across a big field of waist high weeds until i can no longer hear her....i let her go for a minute but she never barks so i squeak her back......i never did see blood and assumed total deflection and the flash after the shot of the coyote was him running back the way he came from......then today 12/17 i review the vid and seen the coyote was hit so i took her back walked her right to where i knew she took off and as i get her on the trail i see blood today ....i get her to sniff it and she then proceeds to lead us on a 600+ yard walk of which i see blood two more times... the last time at over 600 yards from where we started and right before the 15ft tall brush was a factor again........she went in and i followed her thru but the Coyote chasin Queen never did go hot and bark so i have to assume the coyote lived...last time this happened we killed the coyote in the brush the next day but not this time...i really am disappointed in myself for taking the shot so fast and shooting thru what i assumed was light grass that ended up being heavy heavy stickers....i need to find these patience i keep looking for real fast.. less all my cry baby bs the Coyote Chasin Queen performed so well today with the tracking it was unbelievable to say the least even though she didnt find it i knew she was taking us the right way with the blood confirmation as we went and whys shes the Star of the show....rain the rest of tonight so tomorrow nights hunt is right around the corner😎

Coypte hunt VID 38 degrees 84% humiidty
video_182 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Blood 600 yard from shot Stephy tracked
IMG_0808 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
made it out last night 12/18.......the moon was extremely bright and came out of the clouds right as we went to make our first set but no luck even though i know i will eventually call a coyote at this spot as we seen bobcats here twice in past seasons....second set im standing under Charlie Browns Christmas tree trying to hide from the moon watching to the southeast 250 yards across the field to the other brush line where i know the coyote should be coming out from...wind is north to south or left to right straight over us and down a brush line and the road behind that about 200 yards as u can hear a dog barking at a house across the road.....i get all set up and then start watching what i think are two coyotes out in a field just south of the brush line across the field.....i played the rabbit then i friendly howled and then challenged then played fight and they would look but didnt seem interested....while im watching them a real coyote comes into the screen from the left where i should have been watching....so i light the vid back up and let lead loose and felt it was a solid shot......he gets on his back legs then proceeds to bolt across the field back towards the cover.....i try again and miss and shot to soon as i seen my Baby come into the screen and start to dart in front of me...i should have waited for safer shot around my Baby and better shot at the coyote but i didnt and missed....i lift the gun to not try and fan her since the safe is off and try again and felt i hit the coyote again and it was going down....i panned back to the two i thought were in the field seen they were there shut it off and went to get our coyote.....well when trouble comes it comes in pairs and we could not find the coyote again....my Baby bayed it once so we get it straight but it was in so deep in impenetrable briars i made her come out so she didnt get bit....i really felt i put it in the spot this time....

so today i had to go shoot my gun and found its the Indian and its not the bow and arrow.......my gun shoots lights out on paper and yes it was 1" left so i fixed that but still has nothing to do with my runners.....i feel the only problem at this point is when i get the adrenaline in me my gun is garbage
tt2
....i called so much with red lights and never seen anything or had eyes for three seconds then nothing that i got used to NOT getting the adrenaline dump but now with the little bit of success im having im back to feeling like i did when i first started
tt2
......which to be honest is FUN and where im doing it is even better considering what im up against ever time out with public land and all the other daytime hunters as this place is the most over run in Indiana......believe me the positives as a whole far outweigh the negatives as im calling coyotes very well thus far but i would rather miss then not recover the coyote....this one i guesstimated at 150 tops and should have been a DRT and wasnt.......we looked for the coyote after shooting the gun today and making sure it wasnt a problem but still couldnt find it....the real crazy part this is exactly where we had to go in and get one we shot the night before last year or the year before its back in the thread......its easy to say screw it its just a coyote but we as humans have to have some moral responsibility and thats what makes me feel bad when this happens......so u either get back up & go again OR u pack it up & pack it in and me and my Baby arent packing anything up or in..... so onward
thumbup1

p.s. the animals out in the field ended up being coons....point being....stay with the coyote in hand not the coons in the bush....greed never pays

p.s.s last night on the way home seen a fox standing in the front yard of a farm that had a sign with a light out front.....the fox was GIGANTIC and i thought it was a coyote at first it was so large but it was a fox...then we get back to town get within a half mile of the house i find a run over coyote still alive laying along side of the road...went back seen its back was broke & i cant stand to see animals suffer no matter what they are so i finished it with a big rock..i felt awful doing it but it was more humane then leaving it lay hurt IMO....crazy night out

Coyote hunt VID 33 degrees 83% humidity
video_185 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Gun Sight in Spot Reticle over heat hand
img_192 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

3 shot cold bore group base 2 power Pulsar Thermion 2
IMG_0811 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Road Kill Coyote
IMG_0816 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
today we left early as i wanted to make some shotgun daytime stands since the smoke blowin slug slingers last day for deer was yesterday i knew the woods should be fairly empty...we did see some of the stick slingers back out im sure with their crossbows but we found some spots to hand call and try our luck but it didnt work out....started to make a stand with the rifle right before and as it got dark but nothing.....on the way back to the truck i see my Baby stop and look to the north we were walking east i start the scope do a woods scan and see a black spot in the woods.... so i stop do a howl with the hand call lift the scope back up and its a coyote now moving less then 100 yards off the trail in the woods...i see him meander further east the direction were walking but i never seen him again......the wind was as well going from us straight to him.....got to the second set and we had to walk to the north about 150 yards to get past waist high weeds and out the farm implement trail to call into a 600 x 600 cut bean field....same one we have shot 2 or 3 this season but at the other end but this time i didnt walk in as far...i set right off the implement trail about 30 yards to the west in the southeast corner of the field.....set the call out about 10 yards in front and 30 more to my left....were facing straight north and the wind is coming from southeast so i expect something to show at the brush line/implement trail to my right that runs north and south the length of the field and is downwind of the call.....i start with baby cottontail tonight ILO reg rabbit.....wait about 5 minutes play it again......then after i do a couple interrogation howls with the Roughneck as well.....finally i start the pup distress and play two sequences for 1 minute each then just set there.....well the coyote shows up coming from the west less then 3 minutes later at about 110 yards out in the field.....i get the vid on and try to quietly take the safety off and he hears it.....i try to control my adrenaline and let lead loose...he spins a few again on his back legs but goes down.....however i seen them keep getting up to many times now and i lit him up again and it was over....my Baby started out then started back then i lit the call and she went on out and got her fur on......i didnt play it much longer and went out and did my Babys photo shoot.....we then went to a new spot & i parked the truck about 600 yards down the road from where we inteded to walk out to call as i dont like the stench of the truck close obviously.....well my Baby was acting all angry and wanted to bark as we walked down the road and kept smelling and sniffing....well we get close and shes about 40 yards ahead and i see her leave the road right where i wanna walk out thru the brush line cut to access the field......i get into the cut and light the scope because u can see into part of the field before u get exposed to the moon and the coyote is directly across the field maybe 200....my baby goes on out & i squat try to get the tripod out and by the time i come back up hes gone and i didnt see him again....after we made our set we called it an early night tonight.....another great night out:cool:

p.s. another thing i havent stated but most of these coyotes have been exceptionally large...this one being a female

Coyote Hunt VID 35 degrees 78% humidity
video_193 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy gettin her fur on
video_194 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & her coyote
IMG_0835 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Datytime shotgun set
IMG_0817 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

well the last 20 days havent been me and my Babys best thus far this season but were still having fun...seen 4 coyotes shot at 2 & missed them both..even though i keep going to the same place over and over and over and over its not like the coyotes are gone obviously but i had the 5000 acres of which u can call maybe 1800 already overcalled before November even started
tt2
......i dont need anyone to tell me that its obvious OR that i shouldnt hunt into the downwind as i already know all this but cant seem to break my red light habits yet...we have had our best season out of 10 seasons together this year if i was to quit now....i have hunted the dark nights BUT most of my coyotes have been on the moon lit nights and yes i understand thats not the norm BUT it coincides with the good days on the hunting calendar.....i dont know if it means anything but i have kept notes so far.....i wont get anywhere else the rest of the season and thats no big deal but i will need to get my game on for asking permission after this season in preparing for next.....i did take a few vids over the last several nights out to share but its all we got for now
thumbup1

p.s. i also finally got a male arca plate mounted to my gun so i dont have to hold it in my homemade cradle the entire time i call and used it that way last night for the first time....now for a monocular at some point & before next season for sure...i can buy it tomorrow but im waiting to see the new tech for 2022

p.s.s. the other coyote i missed ran up behind us again in the upwind at the same set as last time cause i walked in to the same spot again to far.... this time i think to at least look back & he was there again but i freehand missed him at about 85 yards no vid though as it happened to fast again

Stephy doing some of her own callin when she smells a coyote upwind.........so i started the Roughneck & added a bit of challenge howl to it.
38 degrees 85% humidity

an owl come swooping in within 10 feet of me and my Baby two different times going to make this set two different nights......this time he landed in the field right by us so i did a vid shoot before he went on chasing mice further down the field
32 degrees 76& humidity

Came home from calling and seen two coyotes mousing about 650+ yards from my back door right before i go in a siren lights up from a police car and so do they after ...just thought it kinda funny to leave the house & go chase them all night callin and yet their right out the back door at times.......a fox also ran away in the backyard but i didnt get him on the vid
37 degrees 82% humidity

walked out to this field wind coming from the southeast while we looked to the north so wind over our back into the field to the left....field was about 500 x 500 and i was hoping me and my Baby would catch them on the side brushline coming out before they caught our wind in the middle but we got set up and before i could start the call a coyote walks out about 325 yards....meanders around a few seconds then acts like hes gonna come towards us but i think the wind hit him and then he starts to leave so i yelled to stop him & let lead loose and shot below him....you can see him jump and walk about 3 yards stop and look back then meander off......i could have shot again but i let him go......my Baby ran out for fur but i obviously didnt get it done....still a great night out callin
36 degrees 83% humidity

got out of the truck and before we walked to the set where the owl swooped us i took my Baby up this small hill we were parked by as i knew it was like a mowed field type ground when u get to the top to see.....as i climb i light the scope and raise it to see anything before it can run as we are just parked 30 feet away from where u can see...i get to the top and i see this bobcat..he hears my Baby whine which she does at times when i raise the gun cause shes ready to go...either way he looks back & i squeak and he doesnt like it and leaves....just fun to get them on vid even though we cannot hunt them as of yet here in Indiana
34 degrees 92% humidity

Last edited:
i layed that beaver carcass down by the lake in a small patch of woods i have secured it to the ground and it took almost a month and a half for it to be taken.....when it started it happened in two days so i knew a fox didnt do all that....either way two nights ago i hear my dog going crazy out back so i go outside and look down towards the lake and i can see her barking at another big dog....then as my eyes adjust to the dark with the moon and mining lights lit across the lake i can now see its a coyote.....the coyote is all hackled up and now that i realize what it is i can actually hear him growling between my Babys barks as he sidewalks along the lakes edge with her in his face.....i bolt back into the house so i can get a vid........jet back out light the thermal and before i can it goes out...i light it again and i can see him walking away and it was over....like a fool i had left the unit on and the batteries were dead.....needless to say 30 minutes later she trees this coon and puts him up so i got a vid.....after a bit of charging

tonight we went back out hunting and called in a bobcat this time.....we were actually hunting in the downwind again.........i had ended the set and then proceeded to scan back further behind us then i had been and there sets a bobcat.....i light the vid then try and figure out why he was curious....i had played rabbit then pup distress then howls...well i chose rabbit but that wasnt it as he didnt like it at all and proceeds to meander off immediately....i now feel it may have been the pup distress that brought him in...its irrelevant but that was the fourth cat we have seen two of them beside this one we got vids and the other one we just seen and it ran before i could get a vid.....this is the only one thus far i have seen that we actually called though.....another great night out:cool:

Stephy and her treed coon 39 degrees 76% humidity

Bobcat called 36 degrees 87% humidity

Last edited:
well me and my Baby have only been out 3 times in the last 13 days since our last bobcat siting......we did park and walk up the small hill to see a coyote at the other end of the field we seen the first bobcat we walked up on but the coyote wouldnt come to the call....next time out was just opossums and that was 4 days ago.....so last night i cant take it anymore and we got low 30s but most importantly no real wind.....make the first set and dont see a coyote but my Baby did start soft growling and whining on set so i do think there was a coyote in our upwind but seen nothing....on the way back to the truck we had the choice to just go right to the truck OR walk directly across the road and make another set so we did....we get past the tree line and brush and into the field and when u do your directly in the middle of the south end of this field as u look north......i see loads of deer and as i scan there is a coyote walking west to east about 200 yards out in the field almost right in front of us..the wind is southwest so its over our back into the field to the northeast....i drop take off my pack get the tripod out and my seat......hes now about another 100 east so i let out a howl with my hand call but i dont see him now as there is a grass patch up thru the middle of this field as well.......i get nervous extend the tripod and stand.....now hes down the field 400 yards and another 100 east almost to the field edge brushline......i bend down jerk the Roughneck out of the backpack light the remote and hit rabbit.....BINGO DINGO......i see his head spin and now here he comes on the fast track....now i have to watch him coming in from almost the other end of the field and the closer he gets the more adrenaline that keeps seeping into me veins..then when i get to much its as though im 12 again with my Sheridan pellet gun type excited and cant hold it still cause im about to shoot my first groundhog ...well he comes all the way in and what do i do...get rubber arm and let lead loose at the suckers feet...embarrassing to say the least but there it is...ridiculous shooting skills and i can shoot its not even a question....i can shoot excellent actually BUT now that im calling the animals my added adrenaline is an issue its just that simple
tt2
.....its not like a got a real problem its just facts...
tt2
...i unleash lead at this coyotes feet....i also may need to get off the red cross hair as that doesnt help but its really not the issue its just the excitement and adrenaline and if i have to keep missing to get it together i guess thats exactly whats gonna happen...BUT this is just part one of the shooting fiasco last night get ready........great night out
thumbup1

p.s. i cut the vid before everyone hears me call myself derogatory names and my Baby come runnin back and agree with me...example U DUMB MOTHER F(&)*&(

Coyote Hunt 3 shot miss Vid 30 degrees 83% humidity

now for part 2 from last night....so after i kicked myself in the teeth all the way back to the truck i got loaded back up and off to the next set.......only moved from this spot about 800 yards maybe 1000 straight northwest but its other fields and i drove to get there about 1/2 mile west 1.2 mile north but thats is exactly where this spot is in relation to the last regardless.....walk about 100 yards from the truck and see two animals north as i look into this field from the south...i think they are coyotes so i set up right there...im in the southwest corner the wind is coming over my back into the field...these animals r straight north......either way i call for 10 minutes and realize finally they arent coyotes obviously.....but then beofre i can top calling i look out into the field into the downwind and here comes a coyote......hes coming to rabbit as well.....i let him meander all the way in then yell stop him amd let lead loose right next to him......another complete miss and i try 2 or 3 more times but the brushline gets me and i cant see anymore and it was over.......i couldnt believe i had just done it again but it was obvious....watching the suckers come from a mile out does me in
tt2
...im totally wasted on adrenaline when they get there and my party is already over
tt2
....i mean ive done so many firsts this year its been amazing and almost like my first season again.....my shooting has been so poor its astonishing but its still worth every second to me....there are several things i will need to correct for next season as these may be the last hunts i have to share until then as i sold my thermal to upgrade already and dont have one waiting in the wings for the rest of the season and thats ok too....either way its been fun thus far and this was another ........great night out
thumbup1

p.s. since this was my second catastrophe in under 2 hours i had to cut the vid...if not people would realize as i state to myself that im a DUMB MOTHER F*&^( STUPID F(*(*^)IDOT cant shoot for (^)(*&)&*&......and i just cant let that get out all over the net
tt2

Coyote Hunt 2 Shot miss VID 30 degrees 83% humidity

Last edited:
me and my Baby were out scouting some different areas at our same ole huntin spot and she goes hot and decides to turn the scouting into a pheasant hunt so i let her go......she worked for a solid 4/5 minutes before she found the prize but she wasnt giving up unttil she did.......right after i stop the vid as the hen flys she bolts after it and i start to walk forward and get about 5 feet.....then a rooster comes up right at my feet but i didnt get it on vid........Super Girl at work
thumbup1

Stephy Pheasant Flush

after me and my Baby got home from coyote hunting last night i took a look around the lake there he was a coyote on the other side which is 540 yards meandering along the edge.

Coyote Out Back Door 540 yards Across Lake 30 degrees 83% humidity

Last edited:
got out in front of this situation when i was pretty sure the Thermion 2 was leaving a couple days ago and got permission for the use of the below unit for the next 45 days to finish the 2022 season
thumbup
..the guy letting me use it is so nice its actually unbelievable..after the season the unit goes back to him......hes doing all the updates and then sending it to me on Monday and me and my Baby will be at the range with it next Friday/Saturday and hunting that night on the way home weather permitted....so after getting out 8 hours ago were gonna be back the GAME in the next 7 days for the rest of the season.... this time with a brand new never used with all the latest updates IrayUSA Rico Mk1 640 50mm & ILR 1000 laser range finder with an upgraded ADM scope mount to run to the end...BINGO DINGO & GAME ON AGAIN
thumbup1

IrayUSA Rico Mk1 640 50mm w/ILR 1000 Pkg
IMG_0902 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
well it took a couple extra days with the weather that blew in but i have it in hand.........now i just need to sight it in and were ready to hunt.....what i noticed in 5 minutes so far

focus knobs on both ends turn great

the lrf mount is the same style with the fold over latch like the scope bases have so its very secure when mounted

so far thats it......as always im not lookin to disuss the unit here on my hunting thread and if you have questions just send a PM....i will be giving my evaluation as i go....i did end up buying the unit so its mine.....time for some quick lessons looking out the back garage door and hopefully a video for review....will advise.....GAME BACK ON:cool:

IMG_0909 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0910 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0912 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

the first vid has to be the Star of the show.....Stephy out back in the snow....got some white hot and some black hot
thumbup1

p.s. two stalls in vid were manual NUC test

Stephy in the snow part 1 VID 18 degrees 82% humidity

Stephy in the snow part 2 VID 18 degrees 82% humidity

Last edited:
i knew me and my Baby couldnt shoot at anything BUT it didnt mean we couldnt call anything in for a photo shoot....so we did....went out in the garage opened the back door put the Roughneck down by the lake......called rabbit then pair howls......got one lone coyote straight across the lake approx 600 yards to howl back but then lil miss protect her yard had to run out the back door down to the edge of the lake and bark at the coyote.....he howled a few more times then nothing......we called for 45 minutes then i decided we would let it go.......so i walked down to the edge of the lake to get the call & took my rifle even though it obviously isnt loaded i knew i could see more from the lakes edge with the thermal...well by the time i get down there i see two coyotes directly over in the southeast corner of the lake about 640 yards .....i immediately take out the remote and light jackrabbit and here they come all the way around the edge of the lake...i start videoing at about 470 yards in increments till they get to us...then after one of them ran all the way up to within 5 feet of me & my Baby she wanted to get involved and ran after them......vids of the encounter for review below......we dont have any shooting obviously but we called coyotes within 8 hours of gettin our new thermal...great night out the back door
thumbup1

Coyotes called 484 yards frozen lake edge VID 17 degrees 84% humidity

Coyotes called 484 to approx 350 yards part 2 VID 17 degrees 84% humidity

Coyotes called 225 yards to 5 feet part 3 VID 17 degreees 84% humidity

Stephy chasin the coyotes part4 VID 17 degrees 84% humidty

Stephy luring the coyotes back for more chasin part 5 VID 17 degrees 84% humidity

Last edited:
me and my Baby did call this bobcat in last night to some rabbit.....you can see right as he sits down he raises his nose and gets a wiff of me and my Baby as the wind was directly into his face.....if you pay attention at the 41 second mark thru the end you can see another animal about 150 yards back behind the bobcat moving thru the corn stubble...we called a coyote as well on a different set before this to 270 yards he hung up in the downwind then decided to walk back to the brush line at 540 and lay down right at the edge so we didnt even get to shoot..either way great night out
thumbup1

41 degrees 68% humidity

well the day after my last post i sent the Mk1 back to the factory for a couple issues...so i cried and whined and we got a new Mk1 back yesterday....the one issue thats still a hinderance to my hunts is the less then desireable sound recording the Mk1 has due to microphone sensativity according to IrayUSA and their working on a fix for that.....well for now i found a way to get sound to the vids myself and as others have to do if they choose to have sound with this unit other then a gun shot...it just comes down to the recording device u choose to capture the sound and the mating program to do so..well i start my phone on voice record velcro it to the front of my gun & then start the thermal on record.....get your hands in front of the thermal to make a mating point........then after use that point to mate the two together for the final video....it will work for now as the sound makes the hunts better for me...either way i made a small sample below for preview....in this first vid i made i forgot to shut off the fan in my garage and you can hear it in the background

if you have any questions please PM me.......TESTING & HUNTING RESUMES...will advise
thumbup1

Mk1 Thermal Rifle Scope Video w/Sound 20 degrees 50% humidity

me and my Baby got back after it last night....we had sighted in the night before at 100.....went out dropped the same target got back to my seat it was 123..sent one shell into new heat hand directly over last nights heat hand....walked out removed the heat hand and tonights shot was 1/4" or less from previous nights final site in shot and it doesnt get better then that for zero hold....made a few sets and called next to a pond and could hear bevers on the other side working their food....got a small vid of them as well.....then for the first time this season i hear two sets of about three guns go off about 800 yards away across the road on private land where i have seen coyotes around these cattle barns myself......we packed up and went back to the truck.....decided to make one last stand out our favorite bobcat spot and the same spot we just got the last bobcat vid....drove to the end of the road turned around......got parked got out got the gear walked up our favorite little hill to look like we do everytime across this field we dont call but just to make sure nothing is out in it standing......walked back down and were back by the truck i do a scan through the thermal and there stand 2 bobcats in the road..everything i just said had happened in 3 to 4 minutes since we just drove past that spot on the road....either way i get some free hand vid of them both as the first one walks into the woods....i then get leaned on the truck to try and stop the waving.....i cut the vid up a bit to get the clip but it was worth remembering....part1....great night out
thumbup1

2 bobcats on the road vid 22 degrees 63% humidity

2/19/2022 part 2...well me and my baby hadnt even left the truck and we had already seen two bobcats so we couldnt loose after that....the bobcats were about 100 yards we walked 80 towards them down the road they went left we went right up the embankment thru the tree line and it breaks out into a cornfield.....same spot we just made the last bobcat vid.......walked about 220 yards east right where we always set and realized i had gone about 30 yards to far as the moon had risen and if we would have stopped a bit sooner we would have had some tree shadowing to set in........we didnt but before i take my pack off to set up i do a scan and there stands a coyote maybe 225 yards straight east......now we had just walked 220 yards along the edge of this field and i know he heard us from the first step..... but with my dog out front of me most times about 60 to 80 yards i think he heard her steps that sound more like his so he didnt just bolt off......either way the adrenaline starts seeping into my veins immediately......i tried to reach back into my pack still on to get my tripod i tried to set down on the ground and then i stand back up all in 60 seconds.......the whole time im lip squeaking and when i do my dog starts to whine everytime cause she knows whats should happen.........he ends up running all the way up to about 60 yards and as soon as he hears my dog bolt out through the corn stubble towards him.... as she has now heard him running through it towards us.... the coyote locks up.....i let lead loose and it was over.....the coyote drop less then 40 yards from where the bobcat was setting 10 days ago when we made that vid......my Baby ran out to get her fur on and i walked out to do her photo shoot..........from the time we parked seen the bobcats did a photo shoot on them to the gun shot on the coyote might have been 15 minutes tops......the vid is somewhat hard to watch as i never even got my backpack off & i wobbled free hand all the way through it obviously.......but my baby got fur.... great night out
thumbup1

Coyote Lip Squeaked to 60 yards VID 22degrees 63% humidity

Attachments

• IMG_221729_526.jpg
    IMG_221729_526.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    587.8 KB · Views: 50
last nights hunt happened so fast i didnt get the sound with hunt......so i knew when i got home my Baby would bark and run her yard the minute i let her out of the truck.....so i got ready and used that as another test vid to add sound and review......came out great......then tonight i seen what i thought looked like a bobcat about 120 yards out the back door down by the lake with the Mk1 ......turns out it was a bobcat.....no sound but i got a bit of vid of my neighbors cat my Baby and the bocat all in one...the vid is shakey from walking around but we we got close
thumbup1

Stephy w/Sound VID 22 degrees 63% humidity

Bobcat out back door by lake VID 49 degrees 40% humidity

Bobcat in tree behind house
IMG_0951 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got back out last night........seen an owl and then two coons by some tracks we walk past to get to our sets and then another bobcat out in the field........before we went out for the last set i did a scan across the road where i cant hunt but i always hear the coyotes and ocassionally seem them way over by the cow barns.....well tonight i seen one out about 600 yards so before i loaded my gun or left the truck parking lot to make a set i tried to call him over to my side of the road first from the parking lot.......well i did it....then spun around loaded my gun walked about 50 yards from the truck and tried to continue to call him BUT there was to much brush and trees and i didnt get to see him for a shot......this was the second time i done this in a week.....the last time there were 3 and they were to the west not the east but they came over to my side as well but i never got to see them either.....either way at least we got to see one and call it.... plus seeing another bobcat as well made it worth being out.....i also got sound added to this vid as well the way i like it....great night out:cool:

Coyote Called No Shot with Sound VID 27 degrees 83% humidity
22522coyote_Trim1 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Owl Coons Bobcat VID 27 degrees 83% humidity
22522misc by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

2/26/2022 me and my Baby called tonight and heard coyotes but couldnt get any to show for a shot....so before we left i went back to where i called the coyotes to my side of the road the night before at one of the hunting parking lots.....i knew i couldnt shoot anything......but with the wind coming from southwest and us facing north onto land we cant hunt i could still call from my side and make a vid if they showed up on the other side.....i also knew if they showed up it would make a great video so we went for it......called for about 3 minutes then i hear my Baby run across the parking lot we were standing on so i turn and there the coyote was in our upwind right on the other side of the parking lot coming out of the brush........my baby goes over to confront him and it goes from there.....the coyote comes up to less then 10 yards at one point then decides he doesnt quite like the smells or my Baby in his face........i send her out a couple times and lip squeak her back just to see if she will with a coyote in front of her and if it will follow.....finally the coyote has had enough and starts to meander off so i whistle her back and it was over........great night out:cool:

Coyote Called to 10 yards with Stephy & Sound VID 26 degrees 81% humidity Pt1

Coyote Called to 10 yards with Stephy & Sound VID 26 degrees 81% humidity Pt2

came back to the truck after a set last night..seen two coyotes mousing across the road again so i just watched them for a minute as i didnt try to call them this time....then i see another coyote north of them....the wind was going from the one coyote towards the two and you can see they finally realize the other coyote is there and start to chase it......if you watch close when they head into the weeds an owl swoops down towards them for whatever reason...then if u watch close on the left side at the same moment two of the coyotes sprint back the other direction while i watch the owl.....then i finally see the third one trailing the first two crossing the road back into the woods on my side.....wild to see it happen...great night out:cool:

Coyotes Chasin Coyotes VID 56 degrees 58% humidity