• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing REID & HIS DOGS

well the thermal game is over for us this season..i sent the MK1 to the new owner yesterday....im just happy i was fortunate enough to buy it own it for a few weeks and get to use it....after i dropped the scope off i left about noon 1230 actually from Indy and landed in Clayton Louisiana at 1230 last night...picked up our newest Pro staff member Patty
thumbup
....and then headed back to Indy and landed back here at 1225 noon today....1645 miles round trip 24 hour run.....worth every minute mile and scent....shes gonna be great....i let the lady pick her and just had her meet me at a gas station so i could pay and run......either way i see her today in the light and she has a pot on the right side of her nose as u face her just like Stephy does......i as well thought thats why Stephy was the last one left when i got her and it obviously didnt have anything to do with hunting as shes proven....so even though i didnt pick and could have this lady decided and brought her....probably because she knew others may not like that spot by her nose......point of all this BS being the spot on her nose has nothing to do with performance ...next point its just funny what chance brings at times OR what is fate and meant to be....however a person chooses to view it...either way we got a new Pro staff member and her name is Patty and im sure shes gonna be a rising vid Star...now i just have to convince my #1 Baby to train my new Baby for the next couple years..... GAME ON:cool:

she had to lay on my arm & shoulder to sleep or she wasnt happy
IMG_1009 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

then she finally got brave enough to sleep in the seat
IMG_1017 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
last year i cleaned up the trappin spot but after getting thermal for the first time i abandoned across the lake coyote trapping early in the season......either way this season i got it all cleaned up because Patty is gonna need to see some trapped coyotes like Stephy did and in a restrained situation at first for safety reasons obviously and as well so she sees how Stephy reacts to them and dislikes them...point being im gonna need to trap some coyotes this season to show her in the daytime....seen a coon while i was over doing the clean up......took Patty over by herself and for the first time yesterday........i decided not to take Stephy and keep Patty leashed for a while which i did.....then i let her go a bit still leashed and just let her drag it so she felt i was still in control....she smelled something she didnt like once and voiced it.....she also comes back with just whistles and lip squeaks real well....she also treed another squirrel in the back yard:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 46
as with most hunting dogs/pets its easy to get them to chase.........the more difficult part until learned is getting them to return from the chase without calling them for 30 minutes and to get them to come to YOUR whistle and lip squeaks for hunting..........i hardly ever call my Babies by name even at home to get them to come to me that is...i also have ONE single hand signal which is holding my arm straight up and then pointing straight to the ground at my side IF my Babies hang up BUT only if they are looking at me as the arm seems to add emphasis to the dog with the whistling from me or a lip squeak should they not want to drop the chase........Patty thus far has been doing very very well for still being a Baby and coming back after treeing her squirrels...... so im extremely happy with that and her in general thus far as shes gonna be great and makes me even more confident saying that each and every day she does more and better......also got some new used thermal to start the season off....it was such a good deal and only 4 months old i couldnt resist it to try it out...not sure i will keep this unit with 2x base same as my Thermion 2 last season as i really liked the 3x base of the MK1 last season BUT im gonna try it out......45 day countdown to season opener for some coyote trapping and hunting:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    582 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
the weather hasnt been any good to shoot a vid with high humidity but tonight i got my Babies out in the back yard and shot a vid anyway.......76 degrees 67% humidity so not that cooperative with humidity almost as high as temps but i need it to compare......i also have drained the batteries from full in my scope a couple times completely and it looks as though its about and 8.5 to 9.0 hour run time in 80 degree weather until i get complete shut off.......the total to recharge time is about 2.5 to 2.75 hours for the internal and regular size external battery.....i as well seen today that Pulsar Firmware 2.0 is out for install BUT my current Iphone6 will not support Pulsar App 2.0......i immediately ordered a new phone as i knew that was coming i just didnt expect the update quite so quickly.....either way i wanted to get a vid tonight with the Firmware 1.0 before i get the new 2.0 installed for comparison if the weather is close in the next few days when i get the new phone which i expect to coincide and work out....considering the weather and this humidity im really happy with the scope in the current form and can only expect to be more impressed with the update......we shall see soon:cool:

Stephy & Patty backyard xp50 LRF PRO 76 degrees 67% humidity Vid

Last edited:
went across the lake last night to try and call and get some coyotes on the new Pulsar XP50 Pro but they didnt come...a great big bird OR the biggest owl i ever seen did but flew straight away from me as it left and i couldnt tell for sure and barely got it in the scope but no vid of it....on the way back across the lake in the boat i seen one cat in a tree @ 225 yards..so i went by it and got pic..i tried to see what may be on the ground making him tree but didnt see anything as the foliage is to thick at the lakes edge in that spot.....then as i get back to my house i see another cat at the edge of the lake..... then spot a beaver swimming towards the cat at the bank........so i started a vid and got the cat watching the beaver while i boated up to them.....even though it was night the mine is still running behind me and the conveyors running drown out the beavers tail slap for the most part in the vid....either way it was wild watching the cat watch the beaver...all i could get but i kept it for detail reference as well for review after the new update 2.0 on the thermal....since i havent had a thermal for 5 months i figure i best get my thermal vid game on point now cause its a 40 day countdown to the real deal:cool:

Cat & a beaver lake side 76 degrees 67% humidity VID

Attachments

• img_023.jpg
    img_023.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Patty tress in thermal...i set her loose as the squirrel sat on top the picnic table sunning itself and she got all the wy down between the tree and table before he got off the table......but then he lept over the top of her head onto the tree an was gone up it..i tried to get it all but waited to long to light the thermal..u can however see the squirrel come back down the tree at the 33 second mark on the right side by the leaves just to taunt Patty some more
tt2
..either way i still havent gotten the new phone yet to do the update but hopefully soon.....so i shot me some more Puppy Luv vids just to make myself feel better until then
thumbup1

Patty trees thermal VID 81 degrees 40% humidity

10yd VID

Last edited:
still dont have my new phone & the new Pulsar Firmware 2.0 release has been shut down for a minute as they decided they have a small issue they need to address.....so i got lucky with that as i would have loaded it as soon as i got the phone.....either way i went out in the trappin boat last night no dogs and just eased around the lake looking for animals and got several coons at the lakes edge....one set was a mother with 5 babies only 3 of which i got in the thermal.....the others can be seen just inside the weeds when she comes back for the 3.....the rest are adults just foraging for food along the lakes edge........the clarity of this unit is great for ID and detail in its current state IMO......the 2.0 firmware supposedly improves this pic so we shall c & testing continues...
thumbup1

p.s. forgot i also got some more beaver footage as i got back to the bank from getting the coon footage

Coons Coons & more Coons VID 70 degrees 67% humidity

Beaver VID

Last edited:
went across the lake in the boat to do a stand and try to call a coyote but before i could get to my spot on the bank to get out i seen these 4 baby coons and got a quick vid of them...then went on parked my boat got up the bank and made a set........played rabbit first waited at least 10 minutes then tried rodent squeaks for a few....seen a cat......then tried some female coyote howls.......waited another 15 minutes then decided to get back to the house and call it a night as i just wanted to try and get my game back together before season starts.......either way i get gathered up walk half way back to my call take my pack off and lean my gun against a tree as the boat is right down the bank from this spot....i walk over get the call come back load it and put my pack back on..i stand there a second as i can clearly hear something coming straight towards me from where the call was but past it as the call was only about 20 yards from me.......ILO trying to find it in the thermal i take my white light out real quick and hit the area in front of me and hear comes the coyote i wanted to call 20 yards past where the call was just at....i immediately shut the white light down pick up the thermal and shoot the vid free hand while trying to run the focus......he walked up to within 7 yards of me so i already beat last years 10 yard coyote vids.....15 day countdown and its gonna be a GREAT SEASON:cool:

4 baby coons VID 59 degrees 62% humidity

coyote 7 yards vids 57 degrees 67% humidity

Attachments

• img_053.jpg
    img_053.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: crackerbrown
got a bit more footage of a beaver and some coons as well as getting the baby coons again playing.... then put the vids together ....the first one is the beaver swimming across the lake then makes a tail splash....... second part is the babies again in the tree playing.......the third is a coon came up about 5 yards behind me while i was calling..the fourth was a coon came up to the call after i had shut it down for a bit he was touching it whe i first seen him but didnt get that he wanders off and u can see him down the woods after he does........the fifth was a coon just wandering down the trail after i had played some howls and was just setting........Stephy & Patty also got their first day across the lake at the trappin spot together......i knew that at this stage Patty would shadow Stephy and Stephy wont run off so i let her run with her......
6 day countdown and the game starts
thumbup1

beaver & coons vid 67degrees 64% humidity

Stephy & Patty vid

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
i came out the back door two nights ago and before i knew it Stephy bolted towards a lake shed and Patty was following......by the time i got the scope up and on them they were almost at the neighbors shed and i then seen the cat Stephy had seen........u can see the cat do the cartoon leg work around the deck furniture and then bolt back off the deck back into the leaves and grass....Patty then hears the cat come back towards where she was running and backs up immediately as she gets startled..... its hilarious to see what she does when u know whats up and she doesnt.....then i went across the lake last night so this time i started a vid as i went across the lake and caught a coon at well over 200 as i fan away to see a crane then back to the coon hit it with the range finder and its still 195 at that point........got close for a photo shoot then got to close so i regrouped finished the shoot....probably the last of the test vids...then seen a beaver real close and got him in the shoot...got my traps ready and they been in the leaves for over 45 days.........got several cable stakes in the ground for sets and some dirt holes ready ....got me some coyote fox & rabbit urine.....got my hunt clothes redyed as they are just brown coveralls and jacket with black Rit dye splashed about all over them so they are broke up..most camo has to much white and light color for night hunting anyway IMO...all my clothes been hanging airing out for the last 60 days......got the ammo & the truck oil change along with getting my old bed topper on my old truck......only thing left is to make some sets opening day & sight in the gun & see what the hunting area looks like this season...3 day countdown :cool:

Stephy Patty cat chase VID 64 degrees.......58% humidity

Coon & Beaver Vid 70degrees.......55% humidity

img_053 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
traps are set.....time to go sight in the thermal.........then hit the woods & see what the hunting spot looks like......GAME TIME
thumbup1

img_105 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

havent seen a coyote and havent caught a coyote and havent even heard a coyote for the first 3 days and thats just part of public hunting early season....caught one ferell cat and had 4 set off traps........with 15 MPH winds blowing leaves everywhere over the sets the last couple days and when that happens u have no idea where the animal may step at your set......whereas when u leave your sets u have guided the animal with sticks dirt clauds and sticks....either way no coyotes yet....opossums and deer is all we have seen thus far as well at the hunting spot... deer hunters are everywhere during the day especially with this weather being so nice....Patty has been pretty good thus far as well.....she has run back to the truck about 100 yards at a set once when she heard Stephy coming back to us and she didnt know what it was and it scared her.......it was pretty funny really but i got up walked back got her and brought her back then went on.....shes barked a bit when i dont want her to do so as well but so did Stephy & its all part of her learning and shes still a baby whereas Stephy was left in the truck until she was larger.....with Patty between my thermal and Stephy im a bit more confident she will be safe enough to be out with us now..they did almost catch a opossum slippin at home......we also made a set next to a lake at the hunting spot and seen 4 beavers as we walked out....one kept swimming back and forth smashing his tail while i tried to call....finally gave up and then when we walked back to the truck seen 6 beavers prowling the lake like a fleet of war ships......great weather so far and still good times :cool:

Stephy & Patty
img_115 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

img_126 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy Patty Chase Opossum VID 55 degrees 56% humidity

Beavers beavers and more beavers VID 45degrees 55% humidity

last night we went out made some sets...this first set & vid we were facing straight north the wind was left to right at about a 45 degree angle at 8 mph.......i set the call out about 60 yards in front of us.....and the first sound i started with rabbit and after about 5 minutes we had our first coyote coming in but then as soon as it gets out of the uncut corn i see its a bobcat.....he walked up sat down for a while until he had enough of our smell which im sure he got after a bit or the dogs sounds rustling around....i call some more then he comes back so i try black hot as well while watching him......then i hear a deer snort and turn to the left to see a buck on the opposite side of the field.....so i shoot a vid of him as he leaps off into the brush then go back to the bobcat before i end it......great set IMO getting to call then see that bobcat even though we still have no season.....hopefully in the next few years somebody realizes a real season is needed for bobcats in Indiana....also u can hear a tapping knocking like im cold but i think it was the adrenaline....hahahahahah......the noise is something i forgot to address which is hang my gun strap over my scope so the plastic buckle that has tape on it wont rattle against the tripod leg like that when i get a blast of adrenaline..hahahahahahaha.
thumbup1

Bobcat & buck vid 41 degrees 56% humidity

the second set last night was a bust and the one Patty went back to the truck and i had to go get her......got to the parking lot to make the third set and scanned across the road before i loaded up and went out....seen about 3 to 5 deer running from standing corn in the open field......then spotted one deer that wasnt running laying down.....so i took the call out layed in on the parking lot and lit the rabbit and sure enough a coyote gets up stretches his legs and starts towards us......granted we cant shoot across the road ever and here it isnt even public land and the gun insnt even loaded as i know this but i wanted a vid and to call it anyway so i did....either way i start the vid a shoot a few parts.......he comes to the rabbit then sets down in the field...then Stephy finally knows theres is something out there even though the wind is away from us directly towards the coyote.....she finally decides to investigate and i sick her a couple times but shes hesitant and goes about half way out..u can see the coyote crouch down and try to hide when he hears her start towards him.....i then stop the vid as nothing is happening........i then lip squeak Stephy back and here comes the coyote with her..he stops about 105 out and just sets down.......i ended it there and since i knew i couldnt shoot kept Patty in the truck while this went down.....we went on to call but didnt see anything the rest of the night in two more sets.....either way great night out :cool:

img_114 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
since i lay my gun down constantly to set up make sets blah blah blah.......i decided to modify one of my neoprene scope socks and with some strategic cuts it fits like a glove and has one zip tie at the bottom just to hold the sides in as they have no elastic in them for retention but the zip tie did the trick......should help with a bit of heat retention and may help battery life in the colder weather....i just want it to keep scratches or marks off it as im careful anyway but just a bit of extra reassurance that cant hurt......should work great as all the controls can still be accessed properly for adjustments and the LRF works properly as it isnt covered.....i also keep the magnetic c port in the scope and the special cap that goes with it....this way if the batteries do get low in the unit itself i can plug it right up no worries plug it into the power bank and keep going :cool:

IMG_0086 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0085 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got out hunting again last night.......first set out im walking east out an implement trail and when u get about 100 yards out from the parking it then has an implement trail running north to south and until then its brush after is the corn fields.....well my dogs Stephy is always out front and as i get to the north south trail i scan north and there is another bobcat meandering off into the corn......i barely get a video of his rear end as he enters.......so i stop set my gear up walk north about 45 yards set my Shockwave down go back sit down....im facing north down a 40 yard wide cut trail between brush on left corn on right and the wind is over my back southeast at 8 mph on a clock from about 7 to 2 angle as i set north facing 12.....i call for 15 minutes rabbit and rodent but no bobcat for a photo shoot.......so i finally pan the thermal back closer to me and the dogs and there stands the coyote in the corn right at the edge less then 35 yards from me and the call is 45 out with wind away so i would have thought he would show about 80 to 90 out when he came to the corns edge but was closer then the call ...either way right as i see it Stephy has simultaneously stepped out straight towards the coyote as though she now knows hes there and she growls which the coyote hears ......either way he hears her and turns immediately and before i can get the vid lit let alone a shot off.....i have no idea how long he was there....made one more set with no go and called it a night.....no vids to relive it later but was still worth the fun & another great night out :cool:

IMG_2634 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got up this morning got my Babies fed and we were off to check our traps.....got over to the spot and i been keeping Patty on a leash for now as i dont know what she may do or get to close to a caught coyote.......well today i thought i havent caught anything ill just let her follow Stephy and she has to learn.......got up the embankment started the vid and Stephy starts the check with Patty in tow....i then see to the left that we have our first coyote so i start over knowing they are gonna come running.....Patty shows first and i had to tell her to get back she does then Stephy shows up to get mad.....dispatched the coyote and did the photo shoot of our catch with Pattys first coyote....i also have pics at the end of the below vid that show the set before i covered the trap after and the paw catch as well as what the coyote did to the set after being caught
thumbup1

Stephy & Patty trapping vid

Stephy & Patty first coyote trapping 22/23 season
IMG_0096 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

first set of the night we faced north wind over my back from southeast approx 5 to 11 on the clock 12 being north....called the rabbit then some howls...finally a coyote came right to the corns edge on the right about 175 yards down from where we sat....he walked straight up to the corns edge then back in a row started towards us then just disappeared.......the wind was away from him so im not sure...........sat down for the second set of the night looking west out over cut grass field wind over my back at 7mph coming from the southeast to northeast or 5 to 11 on the clock......called a bit and kept seeing a rabbit out in the field past the call...finally i got a real view of the rabbit when i lit the coyote howls as he took off and i now see its a skunk.....hes over 150 out going away so i let it go as in im not concerned about it or my dogs seeing it at this point....then 5 minutes later i look straight north and just happen to catch him now crossing this implement path about 125 yards down into the woods and turning towards us......i immediately picked up and took my dogs back to the truck as last time Stephy got sprayed......the next set i walk west to some cut bean fields....i play rabbit called for a bit rested then heard sirens so i played some long howls....5 minutes later i hear a coyote howl to the north 500 600 yards maybe.......i waited 5 minutes then played a few more howls......we were facing west again wind over my back out of southeast into a cut bean field........125 yards north the brush line between this field and the next field where i heard coyote howl from so im watching there as there is a path between the two fields where i really think he will show at.....never shows so i pack up get my pack on pick up the gun do my last scan..........there he stands about 150 right in the implement path to the other field that goes thru brush line.......i immediately get an adrenaline shot thru me but what isnt good is when your mind set is panic mode cause your not set up & your standing there with your pack on......i reach back get the tripod out drop to my knees pack still on get the gun attached and get the coyote in the scope.....now im on my knees adrenaline lit and in panic mode...........hahahahahahaha.......i do range the coyote at 131 i think it went over and he was more like 110 after review....either way i let lead loose right over his back............he then proceeds to jet off further west so i intend to try one more and right as i let lead loose again he hesitates as though he was getting ready to stop and i shot a split second to early.......it looks like i hit him but it was a rise he went behind then into the other field even further west.......i walked out and knew there wasnt blood and Stephy done a search to confirm no coyote....Patty stayed by me until i went out..........when i reviewed the vid at home u can see what i say clearly if u watch it closely......i just couldnt get it done jacked with adrenaline in panic mode mind and from my knees .....there are campers everywhere in the park......road shiners everywhere...one even stopped in a spot where i walked to make the first set & i could have parked but wind would take truck scent out to field as well so i didnt.......had to shine him and his buddy with my white light while he yelled out of his truck wanting to know if i was looking for a deer...i think he shined the field saw my dog and thought it was a coyote he could stop and shoot from the road cause i heard him talking from the road 150 yards away as they started to stop and pull off & i see there white light come over my back......i lit him up with my white light and had to tell him i was coyote hunting.....this was just after i called the first coyote that came and went......other then that particular incident it was a great night out
thumbup1

Skunk with a called Coyote Vid 52 degrees...54% humidity

Stephy & Patty
img_148 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
stayed home Saturday night thinking about all the deer & road hunters....then last wasnt gonna go and realized the hunting calendar had 2 stars Saturday night and i should have been out regardless & 3 stars last night..... so i got the PRO TEAM loaded and we hit the road......didnt hear coyote for the first 3 sets ....i also had put the Shockwave up to get the Roughneck out this week as well....well it didnt matter for the first 3 sets playing rabbit and lone howls...then it hadnt worked half way thru this set and i also seen a coyote walking in the other field the coyote two nights ago ran two.......i barely caught him then watched that brush line knowing he was gonna pop out and he never did..then i thought to myself ill make something mad and after the set remembered this was the sounds i was using last season at the start...... either way i lit coyote fights for 3 minutes then lit challenge after about 1 minute then pup distress and let it play.....about 3 minutes after that in comes the coyote on a gallop out in the cut bean field 120 wide by 400 long set up facing west about 140 from north end the wind was over my back about 4mph from the southeast out into the field..this is the same spot i just called the coyote 2 days ago and missed BUT this time he wont know its us because we brought the Roughneck ILO the Shockwave.....hahahahha.......wind was better and he galloped out of the same thru opening but to our left this time in front of us and stopped at 120 as i had ranged the brush line previously..soon as he stopped i fumbled around getting the safety off and sent lead......one shot wonder and it was over.........Stephy for whatever reason went left of where the coyote was as she usually runs right to them...........u can see her start back towards me and she doesnt know its Patty out there with her at first and was kinda funny.........Stephy finally gets her fur on but Patty wasnt having any of it yet.......she wanted to stand back and twitter bark while we did Stephys photo shoot........i finally broke out the phone and got them both and we headed back to get our gear and to the truck for the next set :cool:

Called Coyote 120 yards VID 61 degrees 58% humidity

Stephy gets her fur on
img_161 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
well after the leaving the set that we just had got our first coyote it was about time to head home BUT i knew i could make one last stand at the spot where i seen the bobcat and called the coyote to 35 yards at the corns edge about 3 days ago cause it was quick and easy to access...i also wanted to test the fight challege distress theory to see if it was luck or not.......we were facing north wind was over my back from southeast to northwest at 4 mph........set the call out about 30 yards in front of us to make it quick........so i get back sit down and light the fights and just let them play a few cycles shut it down a minute then light challenge and let it play.....then i see two hot spots at the complete other end of this implement trail......so i hit them with the range finder and its 800 yards..........i watch as they start to get brighter and then realize they are coming and its coyotes even at that distance u can just tell........they keep coming i range them a few times......stop the call once and i think they lost interst and then started to leave so i lit fight again and they changed their mind and proceeded to come on in............they finally get to about 160 when i ranged them last........well they stopped again and i couldnt take it any longer and sent lead past the coyote on my right side its left as it faces me.........complete fools move and no good when i lit the fuse.......the coyotes proceed to bolt i check my dogs........then try one last shot and shoot on the other side of the same coyote........i let it go after that as it was good enough just to call them that far and see them coming that far as i never done that before........im not happy i missed but thats just a fools move chaulked up as straight error nothing more...where i find the enjoyment is i dont need to kill something every time BUT i do need to call something as thats the hard part IMO when u call them into the downwind like i do.........i know it looks as though i cant shoot and thats fine....i know better and thats all thats matters to me and can admit ignorance on my part easily without embarassment as most dont show the real real and thats their business but i intend to document it all for my personal........great night out
thumbup1

Called Coyote Pair 58 degrees 61% humidity

Last edited:
last night was a 4 star night on the hunting calendar so we hit the road to go callin....made some mediocore spot sets with no results......then began to wonder if i could use the same type sounds as the night before only different versions and call coyotes to the same spot i just shot one the night before.....so i tried.......facing west wind southeast to northwest same exact spot as the night before we killed the coyote.....left the rabbit out of this set & started by playing a bit of pup distress and sure enough a bobcat shows up to have a look.....i tried to bring him closer with the bird distress but he just paused then went on......these bobcats really seem to luv the pup distress that they come a runnin to it BUT they do seem to have the need to have a look at bare minimum.....made a few more challenges and fight BUT with different versions then the night before....nothing showed so i walked out with my dogs got the Roughneck walked back packed up and did one last scan.......
thumbup1

Called Bobcat VID 65 degrees.......51% humidity

Last edited:
so all packed up set over one last scan........there stands a coyote straight out 120 yards in the opposite side field brush edge less then 40 yards from where we shot the coyote last night and u can hear another coyote to the left or south start barking just as i took the small vid of the coyote in front of us....this time i drop to my knees get my pack off take my tripod out extend the legs so i can stand set it up take the call out light the remote then stand up.....the coyote directly out front of us we just seen is now gone...... the coyote that was barking is now standing at 245 in the brush at the south end of the fields edge.......then he starts towards the down wind...........he walks north gets behind a rise in the field then pops back out still coming north.......he finally gets fully exposed so i range again and its 130 or something.........he stops i let lead loose and miss........try two more shots one gets stopped by the field rise and the other was at his feet at best...........i really thought at this point i had a gun problem BUT after i got home a reviewed the footage i seen what happened.........just as i light the fuse the coyote starts to step forward at the precise same moment and if u get the vid just right the cross hair is at the coyotes back as the lead leaves the barrel.......u can see the coyote actually step forward and his back lower just enough for me to adrenaline shot miss another one as he does......i really couldnt understand it and why i thought my gun was off..........its just wild how u can see his front paw start forward right as i shoot and the coyote is moving forward and has to turn ILO just turning if he were stopped...i know it looks like what it does but u have to watch it........only thing that kept me from going and wasting ammo to see my gun works just fine like last season.......either way great set with the bobcat showing up beforehand and this being the set we killed the coyote the night before so it worked......in the vid u first see the coyote out front with the one south barking then u hear the button push see a different coyote head....i stopped the vid after i seen the one out front and restarted same vid when i seen one to the south that was barking after i got reset.....i was pretty bumbed out at first not realizing what had actually happened but then remembered i just called some ore coyotes and a bobcat when most would say u cant.......so i figured before i went home i would try it again to see if it was just dumb luck...off to the next set
thumbup1

Coyote Called Missed VID 65 degrees 51% humidity

Last edited:
went to the same last set of the night last night where i called the double and missed to see if we could do it again and call them back here as well.....this time it was a single i seen coming at about 250..........he made it about another 20 to 230 i think when i ranged last........he might have come to 200 at best but didnt like what i was doing with the call and wasnt having it.....i tried to pull him back with a fight but it didnt work either..........i did however succeed in calling coyotes to two sets two nights in a row after gun fire at both......means nothing really but i did it......now if i can unlodge and actually shoot something this could get fun...........hahahahahahahaha.........GREAT night out
thumbup1

Coyote Called VID 62 degrees 55% humidity

got across the lake to get the traps checked first thing this morning and we had our second coyote of the season.....this set caught opposum then a coon then then this coyote last 4 days...had left my catch pole at the house and had to use a shovel to hold the lil coon down while i let him loose......needless to say he wasnt happy and was a handful until i got him loose while Stephy tried to get him....then Stephy chased him down the bank into a hole........todays catch with the coyote was perfect front foot right behind main paw.....i put a couple pics of the set in the video before pan was covered so placement is shown after covered........consideraing we got less than a half football field to use and the winds been blowing our scents out over the lake ILO all the land to the south of my sets that i cant access were probably lucky to have the 2 thus far......i think the wind is about to shift though...time for a remake.....great season so far with Patty getting her learning curve on and seeing coyotes in the daylight as well......tonight another 4 star hunting night on the calendar and its gonna rain all night so thats extrememly disappointing..especially since we havent been out since last night........hahahahahahahaha. :cool:

Coyote Trapping VID

Stephy & Patty with their coyote
IMG_0129 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
last night was a 3 star hunting night on the calendar and no rain so we werent staying home.....i knew after the rain it would be extremely humid and maybe even fog but we went..........decided to try the other side of the hunting area........ we get parked start to walk out and before i can i hear coyotes to the north about 600 yards coyotes to the south about 400 yards and coyotes across the road in the woods less then 200 yards.......we walk out a trail to the east thru head high brush about 50 yards then its a weed cut field 100 yards wide east to west by 600 long north to south and u come out about 150 from the south end when u get to the open......the wind was over my back from the soutwest to the northeast out into the field at 3 mph....i walked the call out about 30 yards in front of us at an angle northeast a bit then walked back sat down and got the gun up set & immediately have a coyote at the other end at the brush edge opposite side north end of the field.....so i light the rabbit and here he comes.......u can see as he gets close he sees a opposum on the ground and runs past it......this poor oppossum that ends up involved as a witness to all this stays just as still as he can while all this transpires around him.......either way i whistle to try and stop him but hes not listening so i try again and now i know its to late hes smelled us after getting 5 yards from the call which u can see on the ground as well after the opposum is shown......he gets the call picks up speed an starts away from us..... i try to get on him while i manuever then as the cross hair passes over him i let lead loose & hit him with a does of lead poisoning........problem is its not enough so i light the gun again and its just as he rises again and i miss low.........turn to spot my dogs to be safe then go back to the coyote and hes spinning now and i send lead again into his side as he turns.........i check my dogs again come back and hes back up and i finally send a leathal does & get it finished......i shut down the rabbit and start to go into challenge then for whatever reason stop and start out to do the photo shoot.........i get about 10 yards out into the field do a scan and there is another coyote at the north end of the field right where u see Stephy last in the video at the north end and hes just standing there.........BUT before i can get back to my seat & get situated again and light the call he goes into the brush ........i call for another 3 minutes anyway with nothing........finally i get out do the photo shoot get back get our gear and go back to the truck.......thats when i notice my gun is locked open and im out of ammo.......so like a FOOL i sat there and called to the other coyote not knowing i had shot all 4 bullets and was empty.........oh yeah with another full mag in my pocket.........hahahahahahahaha...off to the next set.. :cool:

Coyote called to 30 yards 41 degrees 89% humidity

Stephy & her coyote
img_189 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Patty ready to hunt
img_201 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got back to the truck realised the gun was empty from the last set so we got a reload and went down the road about 1/2 mile to the next set........the second set was virtually a duplicate of the last set.........75/100 yards wide 800 long.......we were 200 from the south end this time..........wind the same southwest to northeast over my back at 3 mph..........since rabbit just worked i thought i would try it again so i did....call out in front of us about 30 yards again....called rabbit for about 3 minutes then rested.....started back in with challenge and as i scan back the coyote is opposite side of the field at the brush edge....im sure he showed for th rabbit so i shut the call down immediatley.......i dial the scope check to see where Patty is at then get back on the coyote...........dial the scope again and then let lead loose and it was over.........walked out did the photo shoot..this one had a white tip tail...got Patty & Stephy to set long enough for a photo and headed back to the truck......called a few more set with nothing else showing........considering this place is only 4500 acres maybe after they keep taking land away we arent doing to bad so far other then the misses......either way another great night out :thumbup1:

Coyote called to 75 yards 40 degrees 90% humidity

Stephy with her coyote
img_189 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0150 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

last night was a 2 star night on the calendar.....got to the last set of the night got the truck parked and proceeded to walk down the road south about 1/4 mile to the parking lot and walk out into the field there and keep the truck back........got about half way and i scan and i see a bobcat right next to the road...........walked a bit further almost to the lot and scan again but this time the bobcat is gone and i think he heard my dogs coming.....BUT that wasnt it becasue as soon as that thought enters my mind out steps a coyote into the road about 30 yards from where the bobcat just was only hes going to the opposite side we want him to as he crosses the road..........i was gonna walk out into the cut bean field to a tree line to call but right then i decided to set up right in the gravel parking area next to the brush....so i did.......called rabbit for 2 minutes then went silent and then less then 1 minute later in silence i see the bobcat is coming to the call from the south straight north to us....so i play the rabbit a bit more and he comes closer then sets down....i shut the call down to try and get a reaction but he hears Stephy rustle and decides he doesnt like it and turns to leave and starts to do so...i try rabbit again and he really doesnt like it now so i shut it back down...he starts to leave again but then stops......so i start in with some lip sqeaking and get him to commit even further and close the distance about half again.....Stephy usually gets restless when i lip queak cause she usually gets to hear the gun soon after but not on bobcats obviously.....he gets closer and then sets down in the road and then decides after 45 seconds or so that this just isnt right and wanders back down the road....he had heard Stephy whine to many times for his liking.....what i wanted was that coyote to come out cross that road into the field i was on but that never happened......the weekend is here again the hunting calendar is back to single stars for a week so we are more then likely gonna go to some woods at night for a few days and see what we can find there as the hunting spot will be over run starting today until Sunday night with leaf watchers deer hunters and once a year fall campers and whatever else it is they do while out peeing on all the implement paths im tryin to call till these crops are cut.....hahahahahahahaha.....another great night out:cool:

Bobcat called to 45 yards 48 degrees 72% humidity

Stephy & Patty
img_203 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got our sets checked this morning and we had our third coyote of the season thus far....had a trap set off yesterday and the same trap again today....we only had this one by a few toes & i knew when i made this set it may be a bit to narrow a spot for good foot placement but we got lucky with good properly modified equipment that saved us.......u can see the destruction of the set after in the video......the first time i just made the set the way the logs lay.....i think when i do the remake ill spread the logs a bit more ..Patty still isnt to sure about gettig her fur on but she is seeing Stephy luv doing it so we shall see how that progresses or doesnt........it doesnt matter to me either way as i would rather she was a bit timid ILO agressive especially for calling........another good day :cool:

Coyote trapping vid

IMG_0160 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got over to get our sets checked this morning and we had our 4th coyote of the season..........caught him at the set thats been set off the last few days and i think it was a squirrel to be honest at least once anyway but we had this small male coyote today.....it was a perfect behind the main pad catch.....Patty is starting to like the boat slowly as she didnt want in it at all originally........now she goes crazy to get in each morning & Stephy just loads up and if i dont come quick enough barks until i do but Patty still wants me to coax her to actually get in the boat.....she also wanted to get involved a bit after i was dragging the coyote back to the boat so shes slowly getting it figured out...either way shes turning out to be even better thus far then i had hoped.....we been in the house the last two nights and it looks as though were in the house tonight with rain...there are a few pics in the vid of the set with trap placement shown..time for a remake & another great day out........
thumbup1

Coyote trapping VID

IMG_0224 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got across the lake first thing this morning to check our sets and we had our 5th coyote of the season.....this one was a female and another perfect above the main paw catch........im letting Patty go with Stephy now to get the first hand experience and what to expect from these coyotes when cornered since its daylight and she can see whats happening easier and the danger......shes got some guts and i hope is smart enough to see the real danger so we shall proceed....she gets the picture when this coyote shows her teeth and Patty skeedaddles immediately and thats what i want not a fighter...this is the second coyote in this set along with a opposum we let loose and two coons thus far so its been a real producer........either way time for a remake......as well some of our hunting gear broke the night of 11/1/22 and it was sent away as of yesterday 11/2/22......i dont need to discuss or cry about it here on my thread as i dont do business like that unless directly named or addressed with negativity...and when i am we already know what i do...if u need to know the issue PM me i can give details no problem.... otherwise let it go as i dont intend to blast any companies....i did PM the proper people on their site to wake them up & tear into them about some things...they got the picture immediately and responded real quick so i cant really ask for anything more at this point...we shall see how things transpire from here........another great day out
thumbup1

p.s. almost forgot....Patty also got in her first snare today while i was trying to get the set back together......Stephy has only got in one herself the whole time i had her......Patty hasnt stepped in a #3 modified Bridger yet either...Stephy has so she knows to stay back from the sets....we shall see how it goes.

Coyote Trapping VID

IMG_0262 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
well we have caught two more coons the last few days and since coon season opened 11/8 they stopped getting the pass.....Patty is getting more and more interested as she sees Stephy react so that part is going well thus far..we also had a coyote leave coyote scat on a set so we still got coyotes to trap..im not sure how he got it done but he did.....we are also getting our scope back today after it would not start on a hunt on 11/1 sent the next day on 11/2 received by Pulsar on 11/4 Friday....i didnt know until 11/7 Monday that it was at Pulsar but then got in touch 11/7 and found out they couldnt fix it quickly with a part they needed to do it they didnt have and wouldnt have the new scopes to send for 7 to 10 days as well....then Pulsar rep suggested that if i could find a unit in stock at a dealer he would get the dealer rep to allocate them an additional unit if they would choose to send me one....well Midwest Thermal Optics/Night Coyote Eliminators didnt even hesitate to help me....Kurtis got Rohnda involved on 11/7 and my new scope was in route 11/8 due today 11/10 and just landed....im still not happy that i lost about 7% of my hunting days of a 150 day season but everyone did what they could at Pulsar i feel and Night Coyote Eliminators just plain saved the day.....either way were back in BINESS....time to head out to the range get this unit sighted in and then be ready to hit the hunting spot on the way home tonight......GAME BACK ON
thumbup1

Stephy & Patty 11/8/22 coon
IMG_0203 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Patty with Coon VID
IMG_0298 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got back out on 11/10/22 the day we got the thermal back......got down to the range got it sighted in and was even more impressed with the picture this unit provided and knew then my used unit i bought had issues.....we got to our hunting spot on the way home and walked around to try and find some more spots until it got dark.......this set we were facing south and the wind was coming from the southeast.......so wind in our face which we usually dont do cause u get back doored........called for a bit heard birds get spooked behind us as they do when my dogs get to close to them....called another 15 minutes and had challenge playing when i catch a coyote coming out from the east and the brush on that side of the picked corn field.....i also see Patty out meandering and i think she could smell them as the wind was coming from that direction towards us......i watch the first i coyote i see for few and it starts across the field so i stop the challenge and get my squeaker from my pocket to see if i can get Patty to return to me........i try severals squeaks but shes to involved now and knows theres something there........then as i pan back again i see another coyote has now came out and is within yards of Patt.....the first coyote has also seen Patty now and is returning.........after she finally realizes they are right there she starts to bark at them.........the first coyote doesnt like it and starts after her and she starts to bark/cry even though the coyote hasnt even gotten to her yet......through the scope though i think it looks as though she just got her rear end bit so i stand and basically ruin the set.....then after i get her back to me i see she doesnt have a scratch which i was thankful........the coyotes skeedaddled obviously.........i probably should have been more patient and had it been Stephy i would have but Patty doesnt know whats up yet so i got up and ruined it and it was over.......the last part of the vid is another set where she sees her first oppossum and goes ballistic....so rather than pack up i played challenge to see if we could get a coyote to show but none did........great night out:cool:

Patty Decoys 2 Coyotes VID 48 degrees 55% humidity

i had pulled our trap sets for several days when it started to get below 20 at night.....then after the temp came back i did a reset of 3 of the sets about 3 days ago..........today we had this male in the set that has caught 3 of the 6 we have thus far....Patty gets closer then i want and she also did get bit from the decoy action she was involved in a few weeks ago....in the below vid if u watch she has two marks by her nose and one on her lip and both are on the side she turned to with her face when she defended herself the other night....i just looked at her rear for red blood seen nothing and assumed no bites..... then seen the marks develop over the next few days as they scabbed up.....shes gonna be a handful as she doesnt seem to be afraid.......we also get to start hunting pheasants this coming Monday for at least a week to 10 days so we shall see how that goes with Patty this season.......good times :cool:

Trapping with Stephy & Patty VID

IMG_0397 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
hit the huting spot about 830 Monday morning....the day was overcast 43 degrees .......15 minutes out of the truck and Stephy goes hot and she works this bird for at least 10+ minutes before she finally gets him in the air.......i peel some feathers with the first set of lead then finish it with the second shot........as bad as i hate to say it that was the only bird that we seen the first day and i really couldnt believe it after she puts the rooster up 15 minutes out of the truck but it happened..also forgot to put their vests on them at first and forgot the photo shoot of the rooster as well in all the excitementbut we got it all straight back at the truck......it was very wet from the rain the day before and very little wind most of the day so that didnt help my nose hunter Stephy.....today we get started about the same time with sunny skies and about the same temps with 8 mph wind to start out........we no sooner hit the woods and Stephy gets a hen off the ground so i take it with a one shot wonder......we do the photo shoot and take back off.......walked quite a bit till about 1130 and didnt see another bird in that area........moved and got back in the field about 20 minutes in and Stephy goes hot and puts another hen in the second vid in the air and i miss two shots.........we walked quite a bit there and didnt see another bird........moved again and about 35 minutes out of the truck Stephy starts to go hot and while im watching her work this brush island Patty is about 36 yards away at the tree line corn field edge and she puts a rooster in the air sp i spin and i take one shot and miss.......then she barks and another rooster lifts but into the trees flys up just enough to land on a branch and starts cackling while my dogs barked at it so i got a vid of that and no i didnt shoot it......Patty as well got out front of Stephy more then once but one time i did see a hen fly before we could do anything so she still needs a lot more time out on the birds as she mostly just follows and wanders around with us........im sure im forgetting some more flushes as i missed 2 birds today.......we as well got pellets dropped on us by another shooter Monday first time i had that happen..........there was also an older guy that walked so far from his truck he was lost and before i could even look for his truck DNR came and gave him a ride to it.......i found out today he was supposed to be on other side of park he had gotten twisted around a long way....he pulled up to go back out yesterday while i was signing in so he must have been ready to go again either way..........we have seen 9 birds in the air and i seen one rooster peek out and dart back into the brush and put Stephy on it but he didnt come up and a hen did and i shot her with a one shot wonder but our phone was dead by then so no vid of that flush or shot either....it also started to rain so we were done and we got a shot of a rainbow as we left....so far we got a rooster and 2 hens in the truck.....today is a rest day for Stephy with really high winds all day.......great couple days out :cool:

Stephy & Patty Pheasant hunting VID

Stephy & Patty with their rooster
IMG_0457 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & Patty with their hen
IMG_0535 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got to the hunting spot about 9 this morning and it was still pretty cold @ 22 degrees.....hit the first spot and about 20 minutes in my finger tips are hurting from not wearing gloves so i can work the phone and just didnt have the other on and the metal was cold..Stephy goes hot and about that time i start trying to warm my finger tips and a rooster leaves the ground so i drop the phone and unload the Super Vinci and didnt even get a feather removed.....that bummed me out just from not getting the rooster leaving the ground with the vid but we moved on.....did a large lap in this area and got towards the back part and Stephy goes hot again about 40 minutes later and works the bird for about 6 minutes before a hen leaves the ground but its on the other side of a large brush line and i again unload the gun through the brush but its a no go as she flys away.......we keep going and within 10 minutes of this Stephy gets another hen off the ground this time its about 30 yards out and straight away so i start unleashing lead and again unloaded the gun with no results.........my dogs chase and i have to call them back and we start back towards the truck a differnt way but eventually with Stephys lead end up about 2 hours later almost back where she first put the rooster up and she goes hot again but this time at the tree line edge ILO a brush island she flushed him from last time.......the vid below shows her in the first part work this bird about 300 yards total but i get about 150 yards of the chase before she puts a hen up and i take it with one shot.........then as im walking to it Stephy still in the brush another hen lifts but i let it go while i mess with the phone..........i walk about 30 yards to the end of this brush/treeline and Stephy is still in there and nomally shes out finding the bird....well about the time i stop again look over at her a rooster leaves in front of me about 10 feet while im still messing with the phone for the photo shoot of the hen we just got......the problem is now if i shoot its towards the road which isnt an issue as its 300 yards away but in this instance there are tree trimmers which u can hear in the vid at the road doing work so safety first........then as Stephy goes to come on out she acts like shes still working and BAMM 2 more hens leave the ground right in front of her and between us again i cant shoot towards the road........it was a great experience though as 5 birds 4 hens and a rooster came up in one 50ft x 50ft corner of this wood lot it was wild........so we collected our hen did the photo shoot and went back to the truck for a drink........we had just seen 8 birds so it was looking up.......hit a few more fields with no results.........got out to do our last field and Stephy was hit and wasnt gonna go then me and Patty got 30 feet from the truck and she sat up so i went back and she was ready to go then.......we hunted another 40 minutes before she spent about 3 minutes to find the last rooster of the day and get him lifted off the ground......i knew she was beat and wore out so i made it count and we had our 2 birds for the day......Patty did better staying much closer today but she still hesitates the thick weeds and brush cause she cant get thru it yet as i seen her lunge one time into it and it was like the weeds flexed but didnt fold then and flung her back out it was funny like a cartoon.........hahahahaha...Stephy bulldozes thru it most times when she wants the bird and knows its close..... 9 birds in the air today & a great day out.:cool:

Stephy & Patty Pheasant hunting VID

Stephy & Patty with their hen
IMG_0727 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & Patty with their rooster
IMG_0766 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & Patty end of day 3
IMG_0768 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got across the lake first thing this morning and we had our first fox of the season...as well as the normal white tip tail foxes have this one had a WHITE FOOT as well...when i first started several years ago trapping over across the lake i caught 14 fox the first season.....then decided i need to try for the coyotes and been on them every since...but i also mix fox and coyote urine in the same bottle half and half to place at all my sets mostly to help aggravate the coyotes but that fox urine scent may have helped convince him to commit..there also must have been a fox or coyote in the backyard last night as well since Stephy went ballistic when she first came out and started running the yard scent trailing whatever it was ILO getting straight in the boat like she would normally do......she even started back in after we got back from the trap check........i as well screwed the vid up and am not sure how or what i did to do it but everything after the small blip of the fox was black so some sort of ignorance on my part somewhere....either way its what i got and another great day :thumbup1:

Stephy & Patty Trapping VID

Stephy & Patty with their fox
IMG_0778 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

White tip tail with White Foot
IMG_0780 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Reactions: RedTimber
after getting our traps checked and looking at the weather i decided to hit the pheasants again today.....we got to the spot about 1115 it was 45 degrees 13 mph wind...... i took them first close to the spot we seen the 5 birds yesterday...sure enough Stephy starts towards the spot and after about 150 yards but before we can get there Patty starts out in the the cut cornfield where 2 to 3 rows were left for the animals........you can see it looks as though she smells them and i wasnt sure but if she did i wanted it on vid.......sure enough as she gets to the end two hens leave the ground so that made me real happy as i knew she smelled them and went right to them......we worked our way towards the back and walked up on a crossbow hunter and the first thing i asked was where is your truck i didnt see it or i wouldnt have came this way......he said no prob it was a long ways off and he was just walking anyway.........while hes talking he sets his cross bow butt down then leans over it while its LOADED with a bolt and cocked.....the broadhead was right at his belly button......i thought to myself how dangerous that was going thru my head so i said my good bye and walked off with my dogs.......we get about 20 minutes away from that and Stephy starts going hot and works this bird for at least 7 minutes before she puts a hen up and i sling lead and we get outr first bird of the day.......i dont know why the phone quit as i dropped it but it did but we still got the bird and barely the shot.......we got back to the truck and moved to a new field........we were at the next field and about 25 minutes out Stephy starts to work and she does for about 5 minutes before Patty puts a hen up out in front of Stephy about 15 yards or so ..........i just captured the vid again since these were her first flushes.......we walked all the way to the most northeast part of the proerty as i never been that far and found a 300+ foot embankment along a creek......took a small vid and knew i could come back there for a coyote hunt soon..........walked back towards the truck and before we called it a day i took them to a field they didnt mow any paths in and the weeds are about chest high......we get out in it and about 10 minutes in Stephy starts to work and goes hot and she looks for this bird for at least 8 minutes........then as i think shes about to put it in the air she comes towards me and so does Patty.........Patty goes past me and as Stephy gets to me i hear Patty flush a hen behind me.......i spin with the phone trying to get the vid barely capturing the bird as i do then drop the phone and send lead.........this will be Pattys first full flush and me shooting the bird........she probably got lucky cause Stephy had her in the right area but thats how she learns.....then as were getting the bird Stephy lunges in the weeds right by us and a rooster leaves the ground less then 5 feet away it was awesome but no vid of that part as we were busy...we couldnt do the photo shoot in that chest high weeds so i did it back at the truck....i dont like that as the birds are rigid by then and less photogenic for viewing but it is what it is.....either way they got 7 birds in the air before we called it a day at 4 due to the the wind....... another great day out :thumbup1:

Stephy & Patty pheasant hunting VID

Stephy & Patty with their birds
IMG_0802 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0857 - Copy by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
well after another unwanted hiatus without a thermal 16 days this time 10 the first for 26 total lost hunting days of 55 so far........its not about whos breaks or what even breaks both parts are irrelevant as they all make pieces that do break....the MOST IMPORTANT part is whos gonna fix it the fastest and get u back in the game.....either way we have had our thermal back since last Saturday and have called nine coyotes......the first day we got it back we had it sighted in within 2 hours with a 3 shot sight in so that was good as i knew it worked......got out that night and the second set i see 4 coyotes at the complete south end of the field as we face east with the wind over our backs...i do a quick scan and they are 725+ and coming pretty good to fight..u can hear me talk to myself about there being 4 as i never had 4 coming to the call i could see at once....well i get the gun ready and moved to where i expect them to come out of the brush line but they never did...could have been our scent other hunters scent as we were in the same brush line the day before killing pheasants....either way a no show.....we have hunted several nights since in the moon light as they were good multy star hunting days per the calendar....most nights the wind was wrong and we couldnt hide in the shadows OR it was rainy type foggy weather with nothing showing to the call.....its also the last week of the smoke blowin slug slingers so they are everywhere during the day as well leaving scent everywhere.......last night was the last of this run of multy star nights with 3 stars.....so we went back at it.....started at the first set that we usually do last but i thought ill start with this set tonight........played rabbit then a few howls.....we were facing north and coyotes howled about 500/600 yards straight out in front of us to our right on the other side of a cut bean field inside the woods......i waited a bit but they wouldnt come out so tried a few challenges waited half the time about 1 minute then lit up pup distress.....with in 45 seconds they were busting out of the brush one at a time for a total of 3 and on their way....the wind was blowing left to right or west to east and u can see the coyote looking to get the wind as shes coming in...she finally stops about 75 yards and i send a does of lead poisoning........u can she she turns and starts leaving but not to fast.....i send another while shes trooting and miss....then she gets to the fields edge and i finish it.......Stephy & Patty get involved and find her just inside the brush line so we do the photo shoot and get packed up and off to some more sets....the weather was awful really 90+% humidity and would piss rain just enough to start to stop but before u quit the drizzle would stop.......either way we get to our last set of the night......we were facing northeast with the wind over our back in the same direction.......i set the call north of me about 40 yards and lit the rabbit......it only took about 2 sequences as i play it stop play it some more stop blah blah blah.....either way i catch two come out of the brush line about 300+ yards out....i can tell they are coming all the way so i just let the rabbit play..i also think Stephy could hear them coming as she started to get in front of me/the gun and i had to get her back......i follow them as they come in and as soon as the one i was on stopped i sent lead......i tried two follow up shots on the runner but i dont lead enough and have to work on that......either way we had just tied our best night out with 2 coyotes in one night......YEAH TEAM hahahahahaha....we had never done that until this year and the 2 we got a few weeks ago on the same night.....good times :cool:

Stephy & Patty Coyote Hunting VID 91% humidity 43 degrees

Stephy & Patty Coyote #1
IMG_0900 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & Patty Coyote #2
IMG_0903 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
its been a rainy few days and our traps hadnt seen any action since our last catch several days ago..so yesterday after all the rainy days were over i got out and did a couple remakes and refreshed all the bait/lures/scents at each set.....this morning we got over to do our check and had another big male in our most productive set so far this season......time for another remake........great day out :cool:

Stephy & Patty Coyote Trapping VID

IMG_0916 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

left the house last night with frozen drizzle coming down that wasnt expected......almost stayed home then almost turned around as i was driving there.....decided to stick it out and when we got there it got worse for a little bit and we almost had to go home anyway........decided to go to the spot on the east side of the park......we got parked and walked out to the east about 100 yards and the brush stops and its a mowed 100 x 600 field with briars and waste high weeds further to the east with trails cut through it for the pheasant hunters........we are facing northeast and the wind is over my back from the southeaast.........i set the call about 40 yards north and about 40 yards futher east of where i had my seat.......called rabbit then howls then challenge then pup distress with intervals in between......well between challenge and pup distress i catch this first coyote coming in from the south on the opposite side of the field.......he doest like the fact i have just changed sounds before i seen him and starts to leave.....i do an adrenaline soaked trigger jerking to the left rushed shot........a complete Fools move as it was a layup and i blew it........we get back to the truck and it starts to drop mini ice balls so hard i think we may have to go ahead and go home..........so we drive back to the west side of the park where its not doing it as bad starts to stop and so we walk out to make a set.........we walk north about 250 yards out an implement trail with brush on both sides then it opens up to a cut corn field to the left of the implement trail as it runs north & south.........i walk west about 100 yards set my gear up at the southern brush line then walk the call straight north about 60 yards and set it down in a weed island that runs out into the field a bit........i get back set down and see a coyote about 300 yards straight north...the wind is from the southeast out to him.....so i light the rabbit but hes sniffing the ground and meanders off to the east in the brush line that runs north south with the implement trail.......i call for a bit with my normal sequence and i finally pan back and see a coyote about 125 yards straight east after i range it..hes sniffing the ground where my dogs were just at when we walked out......he meanders around a bit and i get nervous and send lead but i shoot low and miss........tried a couple running attempts as he bolted across the field but i didnt even touch him.....im really in need of lasik eye surgery to be honest and may try to get it before next season.....either way we get to the next set park the truck walk about 30 yards and there is an implement trail that runs north south right next to the road brush line and i see a coyote about 200 yards down......i could have tried to set up there but immediately knew i needed to walk further east about 100 yards to the next north south implement trail where the corn field was because with a southeast wind hopefully he would walk out into the field just to the north of us........i get where i need to be set up my gear get the gun locked on and stand up to take the call about 40 yards north.........soon as i stand Stephy bolts straight forward as she only does when something is right there.......i set back down and Stephy & Patty are moving towards a coyote 30 feet away from us so i start the vid as they chase it across the field........i get a bit of vid of them chasing the coyote off.........then i stand so they can hear me and start to whistle them back.....finally u see Stephy start back in the vid but i am up whistling them back......well i finally see Stephy in the dark and return to the gun grab it and move about 30 yards north with it my seat and tripod all at once to see down the east west brush line where they ran after the coyote.......as i do i can hear Patty out in front of me now barking as though something is there with her...........u can see in the vid as i set back up shes out in front of me with the coyote....i cut the vid down to view better....but i play reindeer games trying to get situated and he finally hears something he doesnt like while i fumble around and he starts to leave.......i get on him and send a dose of lead poisoning just above a field knoll he starts behind and make contact..........he drops and Stephy and Patty bay him up while i get out to finish it.........i was a bit concerned at first when they ran the coyote so far as Stephy was lead chase BUT i was also extremely happy when Stephy & Patty decoyed it back even though they dont know what they do they do it........did our photo shoot and made another set but didnt hear or see any more coyotes.........we did have an owl come in to rabbit on the last set so i added that to the vid........seen 4 coyotes called 2 and Stephy & Patty decoyed one for the WIN.......excellent night out :cool:

Stephy & Patty Coyote hunting VID 38 degrees 83% humidity

IMG_0932 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
after last nights adventures calling we got across the lake this morning to find we had our 8th trapped coyote of this season so far........small male this time......... barely caught by 2 toes but held.....again in our most productive set of this season thus far........time for a remake.........great day out :thumbup1:

Stephy & Patty trapping VID

IMG_0939 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

well we stayed home Saturday & Sunday night to give the smoke blowing slug slingers their last few days chasing and i knew the spot would be crawling with human activity so we let it go for a couple nights.....got back out last night and had a blank first set......went to the northwest most portion of the hunting area.......we parked and its about a 7 minute walk straight south through woods down an old implement trail they still keep cut.........it then opens up into a cut bean field about that about 300 yards across further south by 500/600 east to west long........we u come out into it u are basically in the center on the north side looking south into another block of woods across the field......i got about 50 yards west of the opening and set my gear up but tonight at this spot i decide to stand as its rolling terrain out in the field in certain spots......we are facing south the wind is over my back from the northeast out into the field about 5 mph and the Shockwave is about 40 yards right in front of me.......i play my sequence always using different sounds then previous but the same scenario rabbit howls challenge pup distress fight in that order at various intervals or until i see a coyote......i get thru it think we got a blank in what i felt would be a great set but then spot a coyote at the west most brush line........i get the video lit and start to watch him as he moves north along the brush line towards the block of woods behind us were standing against.......i finally woof him right before he enters the woods and he was 90 yards.......i should have done it sooner for the shot but didnt and blew it.......he gets into the woods so i let the A team go over and start to sniff around and they finally get him riled up enough that the coyote starts to warning barking at us then Stephy starts to return barks.........i play challenge at him for a bit while Stephy barks then try pup distress but hes to smart for us and hes not coming out.......while all this is happening i keep panning back to the east end of the field to make sure nothing comes out........well finally after a few minutes i pan back and now their is now a coyote at the complete east end of the field........so i shut my call down turn to get on this coyote and watch it while the other coyote continues to warning bark behind us about 150 yards or less....i have my dogs back with me now so they stop barking at the other coyote....Patty is out in the field and i can see her pass back and forth a few times and i think u can see the other coyote im now on see her at least once as it sets for a bit then resumes moving closer........when i see him set down i get another shot of unwanted adrenaline sent thru my veins and u can hear my strap where there is tape hitting my tripod as i shake like the DEER HUNTER did in the movie with the bow........the coyote takes off again parallel out in front us along a brush line but stops again i get nervous and send lead but its over his back with a trigger jerk.......the coyote bolts straight down the brush line as he trys to leave and i get on him for one runner shot try.......then right as hes about to get behind a field knoll i send a dose of lead poisoning and i hear it connect.........Stephy and Patty u can see are already out in the field and they head straight across to find the coyote.........i do a look back thru the thermal from the coyote to my tripod and it was 150 yards....so i finally got lucky with a runner shot for the win...did our photo shoot and headed for another set....made a few more sets but nothing........got back to the truck seen a deer down an implement trail then a coyote few hundred yards back from her cross the path but he wouldnt come to the call...........seen 3 coyotes called 2 and got 1..........another great night out :cool:

Stephy & Patty coyote hutning VID 28 degrees 71% humidity

IMG_0949 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got back out again last night.........got to the first set and i got the Roughneck out to switch things up.......i been using the Shockwave one night then go to the Rougfhneck the next night alternating and using diff sound combos always.........got to the first set and we walked about 400 yards east out an implement trail that runs east to west between fields on the north and south sides of it.......we got 2 fields east of the truck and set up on the south side of the implement trail looking over the cut fields to the south........the wind was out of the north over my back at 5 mph out into the field.........we set up on the north end brush line about 150 yards from the west side brush line and at least 600 from the east side brush line....i set the Roughneck about 40 yards right out front of us....i start the call but this sequence i use baby cottontail first for about 2 minutes then go silent for at least a minute before i light up regular cottontail.........after a few minutes of that off and on running volume up and down a bit i see movement to my right in the west side brush line about 200+ yards out.......i get on it dial the scope and can see from the movement its a coyote coming towards us...the adrenaline starts to seep into my blood immediately.....i wasnt playing the call at the time so i left it off as long as he kept coming........he finally gets close enough to shoot & stops again which makes me think he may have a problem with the scenario.........so i send a dose of lead poisoning and u can see from the coyotes reaction i connect but the coyote starts to run..........u can as well see its not a full tilt run as hes hit but hes leaving..........i get back on him let my dogs clear as im setting tonight so i cant just let it rip around them with the closer trajectory and so i wait until its clear and then send another dose of lead poisoning and finish it...........i got out to do the photo shoot and scan back to see its 155 to the tripod.........we do our photo shoot and get packed up and off to the next set.........we walk about 800 yards out to the west across a lake levy which then opens up into some cut bean fields behind the lake...............we set up on the north end brush line in the middle........the field runs north to south and is about 200 wide by 800 long.......we are facing south the wind is over my back at the same 5 mph out into the field........i set the Roughneck about 40 yards right out in front of us again and start the baby cottontail..........i do a sequence and then go into regular cottontail and less then 2 minutes into cottontail i see a coyote coming from the south on west side brush line..........i get on him and watch his approach with the adrenaline dripping in my veins with every step closer the coyote takes which isnt helping my steadiness........he finally stops for what i think is shot time i range him decide to shoot and blow it........when i watch it back i trigger jerked it to the right this time.......unbelievably iggnorant move but its right there to see.......i do this every season with the trigger BS but usually by now im over it and have settled down.........this year seems to be taking a bit longer and is a bit more problematic thus far as ive shown..........i was gonna do a runner shot but my Babies were to close for that as i was sitting again and wasnt taking the chance so i watched him run in hopes he would stop or return due to my dogs but that didnt happen........i was thoroughly disappointed in myself to say the least BUT i then remembered im still callin coyotes on one tough place to do it........i figure with that im winning anyway in the long run and this is nothing but a serious amount of fun regardless...............either way he got to run off tail in the air and we got to walk off with my tail between my legs on that one.....we made one more set and i was hit and my Babies were hit so we came home early....overall nothing but fun and another great night out :cool:

p.s. i also got tired of Patty rubbing up against me while setting/calling and jumping on my leg and knocking the remote on the ground so i made a tripod utility basket out of a black pillow case i washed to a neutral no smell then cut holes in to mount to the tripod.......quiet cloth works like a dream and takes some of our fumbling around out of the picture and folds up just as easy to go into my pack and works great 👍

Stephy & Patty coyote hunting VID 28 degrees 73% humidity

IMG_0963 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Tripod utility basket for call remote & hand calls
IMG_0967 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
after a few days in the house and just getting out around the lake at night we had to get back to the hunting spot....so we went back out last night and got there somewhat early per when we usually arrive...it was terrible thermal conditions with mono thermal condition from cloud cover all day with mini sleet balls falling and 90% humidity but we were ready to hunt again regardless......got geared up and got out to make our first set and called a bit with nothing....i did however keep hearing a couple coyotes and one in particular keep barking and howling and from where we were setting at the time it was about 3/4 of a mile maybe more over to where they were making the noise from and i knew it was the area we just called the other night where we had the coyote barking and howling behind us.........so we got back to the truck and got over there......walked out across the lake levey and this time we sat on the east side of the first cut bean field in our normal spot we call from when the wind is from the southeast....same field i just missed the limping coyote about 3 days ago......either way were facing west wind is from the southeast over my back about 4/5 mph tops........i still have the Roughneck with us and have it about 40 yards right out in front of me........i play rabbit some howls try some pup distress but seen nothing.....then i thought i would try a breeding programmed hunt i have never used so i did........played it for about 5 minutes then went quiet and caught this guy sneaking into the down wind behind the opposite field side brush line and i could just see his face at first......his problem was he had to cross the implement opening into the other field.......but once he got to where he was he was directly in the down wind anyway and didnt need to go any further........i turn the call back on for a few seconds and he moves about 10 feet and stops again........in my adrenaline soaked mind i know its time to shoot or hes gonna leave so i jerk the trigger like a fool and u can hear me do it in the video thats why i left it to remind myself........thank the Lord i still had the safety on and it stopped another fools move......i settled got the safety off and this time squeezed the trigger and sent a dose of lead poisoning over and he dropped.......i seen him wiggling a bit so i sent another for reassurance and it was over........200 yard shot when i got over there and ranged back to my seat.......got the Team gathered up for the photo shoot......got it wrapped up and headed back to the truck...........decided i need to go back to the field i had just seen 3 coyotes my last time out right before the storm/winds came..........got parked and this time ILO walking out to the secondary fields i just set up at the south most end of the cut cornfield.......we were facing northwest the wind was still over my back out into the field at about 4/5 mph from the southeast........i go thru my sound scenario and cant get anything to happen but i do keep hearing a coyote thats maybe 600 yards further straight west of us in the woods across the other side of the field.....i play to this sucker for 20 minutes with nothing showing....i do 3 mouth call howls and set another 3 minutes....i decide to end the set and walk out get my Roughneck get all packed up and do my last scan.......per usual i have packed up 4 minutes to early & here comes the coyote out of the treeline were up against and shes straight north of us about 275/300 yards........i immediately drop to my knees pack still on my back i pull the tripod out and get my gun locked to it........there is a ton of ambient light in this area with the cloud cover and the army base right behind us about 600 yards where some of the housing is at for training troops.......point being i can see the coyote still out in the implement trail watching my dogs that are out in the field as i get the tripod set up........i do and get on the coyote & try to get a range and cant as its still sleating like it was at the last set and isnt getting a reading........i get what i think is the right hold over and let lead loose over the coyotes back.....her mistake was she lept over as though she was gonna head right into the brush and leave but as i watch she came back out onto the implement trail and started straight away from me.......i get back on her and let a dose of lead poisoning go and connect.....she spins and is hit obviously as u can see thru the vid but she doesnt drop.......so i get even more nervous of a runner and get another shot of adrenaline sent thru my veins and u can hear me shaking as i try to end this shooting from my knees pack still on........well i finally do after the 7th shot as u can see her spin again.......she goes maybe another 40 yards and its over.......the A Team gets out there and gets their fur on and i get out to do the photo shoot..........i forgot to range it but i know it was at least 275+...either way i got away with it this time and we got 2 for the night....another great night out :cool:

p.s. we shut our traps down before the storm as well so they are done for the season

Stephy & Patty Coyote Hunting VIDEO 23 degrees 91% humidity

Stephy & Patty Coyote #1
IMG_0973 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Stephy & Patty Coyote #2
IMG_0986 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
its been several days and we have only seen 2 coyotes....seems like the night hunters came out and the rabbit hunters are still hard after it...as well as the lit up moon making it hard to hide but it was a 4 star hunting night on the calendar so we hit it again...last night we set up about 20 yards from where i just shot the coyote at 280 yards about 10 days ago not where we set then but where we actually shot the coyote at the north end of the field.....we were facing west looking out over a cut corn field and we were about 100 yards from the north end of the first field with a brush line that runs east to west between the fields further north....the wind was about 7 mph from the northeast over my back out into the field and i set the Shockwave straight north of my seat about 30 yards against the brush line we were set against......i call for a while using only howls then at the end of the set play a few coyote whimpers to finish and then just set there for 5 to 7 minutes scanning......decided they werent coming and did my last scan before i put up my gear........soon as i did and get to the east west brush line just north of us between the fields and there stands the coyote northwest of where i was sitting.....since i had decided to end the set i had let my dogs go out into the field and they were meandering and the coyote was watching them.......i think the coyote came out after it seen them meandering ..........either way i get a shot of adrenaline sent thru me and actually wait a second before i let the lead loose.......i get the coyote ranged and its at 120 yards.....it takes a few seconds to let the adrenaline settle & i send the lead poisoning .......the coyote drops and my dogs get out and get their fur on.......got our photo shoot and moved to the next set.......called a few more but couldnt get any more to show themselves...........first one of the new year and a great night out :thumbup1:

p.s. Patty figured out how to turn my tripod utility basket into a head rest so she can sleep on stand :tt2:

Coyote Hunting VID 29 degrees 83% humidity

IMG_1009 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Patty gets a nap while we hunt
IMG_1004 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
well a week after our last hunt i sold the Pulsar Thermion 2 LRF Pro to try an Alpha and didnt even get a hunt in with 2 units over the coarse of 2 weeks sending them back.......finally got out of that mess and found another used Pulsar Thermion 2 LRF Pro that i stole from the same guy i had bought the first unit from........weird really to be honest but it happened.........either way we got it last Thursday had it sighted in that night and went hunting........seen 4 coyotes on the second stand together 650 yards at the complete opposite end of the field and they either couldnt hear me cause i dont call real loud or they just werent coming which is my thought..........stayed home Friday night due to high winds then got back out Saturday night........got a few sets in with nothing as the moon is bck out and not helping but its so nice out we had to go.........then on the way out to a set heard coyotes light up..........we walked on out got set up looking east/northeast out over a cut field about 100 wide by 600 long the call was straight east of my seat about 50 yards and the wind was over my back to the northeast at about 5 mph............i let out 2 lone howls from the Roughneck and just sat there for maybe 3 minutes and then seen this coyote straight across from us.........got the vid lit and ranged him at 120.......then he started towards us about 10 more yards and stopped.......i immediatey sent over a dose of lead poisoning and it was over...........my babies bolted out there and started the search party and found the coyote and got get their fur on...........i ranged back after the photo shoot and it was 105 shot............the opposums were leaving fast after the shooting started as well as im sure they heard my Babies out there running wild searching for the coyote...........another great night out and were back in the game:cool:

Stephy & Patty Coyote Hunt vid 75% humidity 43 degrees

IMG_1101 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

got another video of my new Baby Patty decoying some coyotes back to me........i play games to long and miss the shot but the vid is still worth watching just to see the coyotes respond back to her......i should have shot when i first range them as they come back and stop at 150 but get greedy on wanting video time and let them come further until they get behind a knoll/rise in the field........then i get impatient and pull a trigger jerker and blow the follow up as well......the other coyote which was limping as they came in went out into the field and just stood there watching my dogs look for him and waiting on his companion.....most would have went for a hail merry but thats not my game......it finally meandered off back into the woods as well

the second part of the vid we walk up on a coyote who was walking right before i started the vid but as i seen him i dropped to my knees...pulled out the tripod locked the gun on and tried the shot from my kness pack on and blew this one as well........Patty gets out there and runs a bit but as soon as he hears her he bolts.........i had a chance to shoot again on my knees but my dogs could have darted in front on me that close the the ground by then so its not worth it to me to even try

the thrid part is a coyote i catch on the other side of a small lake as we walked across the levy out to the fields to call........im sure i could have shot it but im also pretty sure its illegal to shoot across water and either way didnt do it......again breaking the rules for a coyote arent worth it to me.......but getting the video means a lot so thats good enough for me

the fourth part of the vid is a coyote we walked up on and i catch in the thermal as i do a scan before we expose ourselves walking the last few feet into a field to call.......i see the coyote right in front of me 40 yards BUT want the vid so i drop the gun light the video and as i come back up hes trotting then starts into a run as he hears my dogs now and may even smell them at this point..........i try a runner shot and blow it.......my Baby Stephy goes over catches his trail and starts into the woods after him and i can hear as she circles me follwoing the coyote about 300/400 yards out into the woods........i whistle her back and after a minute or two i can hear her coming so i look into the woods as the coyote starts to warning bark at her and i think i see her coming but i hear her to my right.........i scan over and there she is with Patty basically where i thought as she came back...........after i got home i realised while watching the vid the thermal spot i see in the brush is the coyote braking back at her........u can barley see him at about the 50 to 55 second mark in the vid

the last part is a set i was calling using vocals and fights about 2 weeks ago..........got this pair to walk out and as they do the rear coyote hears the growls on top of the whines and it makes it stop and then the front coyote stops which makes me go ahead and shoot and blow it........as i watch the vid back if i would have waited another milisecond the back coytoe started forward again....so i just pulled another trigger jerker rushed shot miss

either way we have seen 12 coyotes in 5 outings some not on vid and have shot at 4 and got 1.........gonna have to work on my trigger jerking mania some more and keep after it............great times with my best friends :cool:

Patty Decoys 2 & I Miss Several Video

Stephy On Look Out
img_068 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Patty Ready for Trouble
img_120 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
got back out again last night as these are the last 2 weeks of our season and the weather is unbeatable..........walked about 800 yards east to an inner corn field........walked about 100 yards south of the east brushline looking to the west out over the cut cornfield.........the wind was left to right at a 45 angle from the southwest............i get set up let out 2 howls from the Roughneck and within 2 minutes see a coyote moving to the north on the opposite side of the field........i try a couple howls but the coyote continues north into the brush line and i think it might be gonna show in the brushline closer to me as it gets to my downwind........it doesnt though and comes back out into the field and i think it may be coming but again it meanders off into the woods.............a short time passes and i see another coyote further south on the opposite side brushline moving north as well and assume its the mate to the one i just seen.......again i try howling but it doesnt seem the least bit interested...........so i decide when it stops im gonna send lead over and i do........i hear it connect and see the coyote start to run BUT ILO starting to shoot it up i just let it run..........it goes about 150 yards then stops for a brief second and i send another dose of lead poisoning and finish it...........my Babies get out and start the search and are getting their for on shortly therafter so i get aout and do the photo shoot.......i as well range back to my seat and itrs 195 to the coyote.........we got back gathered our gear and made a few more sets but no action...........the moon has things a bit tough as its extrmely hard to hide at the moment BUT the weather is way to good and the hunting calendar says multy star hunting nights for the next several so were gonna keep after it until the end.........another great night out :cool:

Stephy & Patty coyote hunting VID 48 degrees 68% humidity

IMG_1127 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

been out last 3 nights and got rain spit on me after about 2/3 hours each night.......Friday night it wasnt supposed to rain until midnight it started @ 930 Saturday it wasnt supposed to rain at all & started @1030.........last night we got there right at dark got our gear on and got to the first spot.........walked out about 1000 yards to the south down an impliment trail to get to a cut bean field surrounded by woods........got back in got set up and i put my tripod in the standing position as there are to many knolss/rollers for coyotes to get behind so u need all the elevation at this set i can get........got the Roughneck out in front of me about 30 yards and the wind is over my back from the northeast as we face south overlooking this field......i play a couple lone howls and immediately i can hear coyotes right off to my left inside the woods......i also see a hot spot when i lift the thermal to do a field scan after i play the howls but i get to worried about the howls in the woods to worry about the hot spot clear out in the field.........i wait a few minutes then play a diff howl and just as i scan out into the field here they come........i try to range the first coyote but dont get a reading then try again and get 155........i start to concentrate on the first coyote but as it starts to paralell me so i go back to the other and hes close and at 89 when i range.........just as i do he gets a wiff of me & my dogs and gets nervous..........so i get nervous and start to try to stop him with woofs but NO GO.........so i get more nervous and let a dose of lead poisoning go and out right miss as i had a bit to much lead and he wasnt moving quite that fast yet.........i settle myself get back on the now running coyote and send another does of lead poisoning and this time i connect right as hes entering the brush and woods and he rolls...........my Babies get out there and start the search and to get their fur on........i range it and it shows 186..........i get over do the photo shoot and range back to see when im at the coyote inside the brush hes actually right at 200.........got the photo shoot wrapped up got my gear packed up annd got back to the truck to make some more sets.....ended up hearing coyotes at other sets and calling to them with answers but couldnt get any more to show....then it started to drizzle again about 12 midnight and we headed for the house...........another great night out.......3/12/23....39 degrees 76% humidity :cool:

IMG_1162 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited: