• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Relaoding ?

TKCattle

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2017
Southern Iowa
Just startded using a RCBS charge master 1500.( beam scales in the past) new brass Lapua, First time with this bullet . Two loads looked good 100 yds 5 shot group 8 - 10 mph wind at 224 deg. target at 93 deg checked with Kestrel 5700 1st group ver. spread .224 hoz. spread .583 Avg fps 3376 ES 13.19 SD 6.08 2nd group ver. spread .355 hor. spread .526 avg. fps. 3429 ES 7.77 SD 3.60. The diff. between the two loads is .5 gr powder my question is should i look for a better load between the two or just pick one and go with it. I will be shooting at a range for the 1st time ever there having a 200yd shoot this summer and thought it would be fun to try it. Have only loaded for coyote hunting in the past. Any thoughts or hlep. Thanks

Where to start? You gave us plenty of information and data points, but not enough basic information relative to answering your questions.

First off, enlighten us as to the caliber and projectile being used.
Second, we are led to believe that perhaps you did some load development to arrive at these two good loads. So does that mean that you know where you begin to see pressure signs?

I'd guess that you're shooting a .375 Cheytac and are looking forward to trying your hand at 2000 yards (not 200 like your post says). I would also have to assume that your higher node of 3429 is not right at your pressure zone. Given only those assumptions, I would choose the faster load, but only after I tested both for consistency and drop at 600-900-1200. For ELR applications, you should really find the load that performs best at a variety of longer distances.

Sorry I did leave out some things . Did a ladder of .5 gr from min. to max. Powder Varget no pressure sings max charge shot a poor group but no pressure sings. Bullets I had laying around Hornady 52 gr. BTHP. Cal. 22-250 Rem. barrel Dan Muller in AMU cut at 20 in. Twist 1-10 with a can. Bighorn SR3, Timney 2 stage trigger, Manners MCS-GAT Light stock . topped with Spur one peace mount and a Night force scope . Rifle was built for calling Coyotes. Longest kill on a coyote was 309 yds. last winter. Shot some Cutting Edge Bullets 60 gr. Raptor's through it on coyotes this winter didn't do very much load work for the rifle. I have been told the range is only 200 yds. and the they shoot 1/2 dots for this shot.

Okay. So I got that wrong.

Now, you say at max charge there were no pressure signs, so I guess you mean max book charge of some sort. That is fine. It looks like your two best loads are only one increment different based on your .5g difference.

If I were looking for the most accurate and consistent load in this situation, I would do one more load work up starting at .1 or .2 below the lower good load and step up in .2 increments until just past the higher good load. I would shoot three rounds of each at 1/2" dots at 200 in round robin format and find the median node. Then, depending upon how well that shoots, maybe do a seating depth test for final tweaking.