• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reliable powder scales

gunit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2012
Looking a little feedback, im wonting 2 buy another set of scales that are reliable. I weigh every round and my rcbs 750 scales u have 2 rezero 2/3 of the time. Jus looking a very good set of scales without all the bullshit of rezeroing.

Two options for you:
1. Focus on how you are working your RCBS scale (I assume it is digital). You have some interference causing the scale to need constant rezero or a bad scale. You may want to contact RCBS.
2. Old School balance beam scale like the RCBS 10-10 or Redding.

IMO--you need a beam scale to keep your electronic scale honest anyway.........

If you want a digital scale, A&D FX 120i is a cheap as i would go, A&D HR100 AZ, Sartorius Quintrix or Practum.
They all reliably measure your powder down to a single kernel, with a fast response time normally less then a second.
The FX goes for 6-700 dollars the others are even more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
As you don't run into consistency issues like with fx a Gempro, that claims it can do the same for 150 dollars.

A good beam scale is a nice tool to have as backup, but a pain to use in comparsion, and slower and less accurate.

If you want a digital scale, A&D FX 120i is a cheap as i would go, A&D HR100 AZ, Sartorius Quintrix or Practum.
They all reliably measure your powder down to a single kernel, with a fast response time normally less then a second.
The FX goes for 6-700 dollars the others are even more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
As you don't run into consistency issues like with fx a Gempro, that claims it can do the same for 150 dollars.

A good beam scale is a nice tool to have as backup, but a pain to use in comparsion, and slower and less accurate.

Just curious???

How about any type of extraneous interference commonly affecting these more expensive lab quality scales as compared to the normal scales like the Charg Master, especially concerning drifting and having to rezero, are they considerably more reliable?

Thanks

Yes they are considerably more reliable in my experience.
My Chargemaster scale drift quite frequently, and accuracy is 0.1-0.2 grains, along with it's slow response time and tendency to overthrow it is far from perfect.
First off the normal budget type scale is of a strain gauge type, vs magnetic force restoration so it's different technology in them and the weigh cells are a lot more accurate and responsive.
Strain gauge balances have a tendency to drift in general, and the software is often counter productive as it's built to restrict drifting.
Look at the linked youtube videos for a a good and visual explanation, from someone that makes a living by selling them.
A strain gauge scale really can't measure reliably trickling powder kernels no matter what accuracy it has given.

The more expensive scales are built from higher quality components, and some have filters and RF shielding.
The draft shields helps eliminating airflow that can affect the balance.
Temperature will still affect them all though, so it's not wise to move them from a cold storage to a warm room and use it.

As for calibration it should be still be done at least when you start, and i like to do another check shortly after.
Never experienced drifting or having to rezero during load work with my Sartorius.
It also give me instant accurate reading of dropping one kernel at a time.

Digital Scales: GemPro 500, AY123, Sartorius GD503 within AccurateShooter.com

Strain gauge loadcell vs electromagnetic force restoration - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89BOlViQXto

Last edited:
Thanks!

Big difference between a strain gauge and force restoration scale!!! Well big difference in price too but money I'd definitely pay. My shop is heated by a woodstove in the winter so the FR scales would probably still not work for me.

The SG E scales I had in the past were much worse than the one in this video. If I were loading 50 rounds of rifle ammo for example, there could be .4 grains difference from lightest to heaviest charge even after rezeroing often as measured with my beam scale.

Yes there is quite some difference, and none of the scales in the videos are budget models exactly, so cheaper scales will usually have more drift.
And as with many things you get what you pay for.
Satorius is one of the best manufacturers of balances, and they in general perform very well, and still the video shows quite a clear difference between the two models.

If your shop is heated by woodstove in the winter, and the temperature drops low during the evening/night, just use the scale while the room is temperent and the scale has gotten some hours to adjust for the climate.
A good analythical balance with internal motorized calibration will help, but they cost a lot.

Mostly my scale in my house, wood is the main source of heat in winter and it has not given me any grievances so far.
Just give it some hours to warm up, and climatize. I do keep it plugged in most of the time though.

Sounds like the environment its in may be part of your problem . I use a pact 2 , havnt had issues like some people have but if I get my samsung galaxy 3 cell phone within 3-5 feet of it , the scale goes f $!/ ing crazy.