• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reload .22??

scorpion168

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
NE TX
Sorry for the crazy question. Are .22's reloadable, and feesable? Just asking. Gotta start somewhere.

Stupid........ fordham law image.jpg I'll go get the popcorn. This is gonna be fun.

yeah they can be reloaded, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

i spend alot of time with rimfires, though i've never tried it personally, in the end you still end up wasting more time and money than just buying off the shelf.

you can get the priming compound or make it at home, get new .22lr cases, the hard part is getting or moulding the heads. plus at home, i imagine getting the primer to get into the rim "just right" would be a bitch.

just putting the money into quality match ammo is a better idea.

I meant hand load, not reload. Anyway, I can see there's no true help here, just a few yahoos wanna ridicule a rookie for asking. Better luck next time impressing someone with knowledge.

Hey buddy, for all practical purposes, the answer is NO. And, there is no good reason for attempting it, since it is only technically possible. BB

I meant hand load, not reload. Anyway, I can see there's no true help here, just a few yahoos wanna ridicule a rookie for asking. Better luck next time impressing someone with knowledge.

Don't mean to bust your already busted balls, but handloading=reloading

In addition, i don't know of the ability to buy unloaded .22 LR brass. And like predator said, not sure if you can get the bullets either. I am pretty certain that .22 LR dies do not exist.

Cant be reloaded if it was never loaded to begin with right? Its all semantics

I was being facetious in the face of facetiousness

All in all, an example of someone that doesn't possess a clue, which is not the place to start something that is so far from necessary. The time to start worrying about reloading 22 rimfire is if Obama cheats his way into a third term. Oops, no politics, right?

But, seriously. As mentioned, in all likelihood, the dies either do not exist, or when the time comes will be extremely hard to find. I imagine casting .218" bullets would be the easiest part, it's getting a reliable priming compound into the rims and who knows what would be a suitable and available powder? Maybe the easiest would be homemade black powder, and ground up kitchen matches, if the ATF doesn't decide to control them as a hazardous substance? I don't even know where to buy strike anywhere matches like when I was a kid? For our own good, right?

But, if the question is unavailable ammunition, I think centerfires have much more possibilities. The most difficult would be figuring out the primer situation and I seem to recall, it's been addressed in the past? Should have paid more attention at the time. As long as the Internet remains a source of information, (not assured, of course) we can always look it up, right? Unless the UN get's control. <eek>
BB

I don't know if this counts but when I was a kid I took 2 22lr cartridges apart and added powder from one to another. I basically made an overcharged compressed load.
My 10-22 Ruger didn't like it one bit. It cracked the wood stock, tore the extractor out, and blew the magazine out the bottom shattering it.
I learned a lesson that day.

I hand load the magazines on my .22's, then I reload them again when I shoot up the ammo. Yahoooooooo.

I have seen people remove the factory bullet from a 22 throw it away dump the powder out then put in their own bullet and powder in rimfire for 22 benchrest. It has been done and can be done. Is it practical or worth it? Hell if i know. As far as reloading and handloading there is a huge difference.