• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reload advice for 300 win mag

vitag

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2013
Hello , I am just getting started on reloading and am looking for anyone who has a good recipe ? I am shooting a savage 112 in 300 win mag that has some work done to it . I am a big game hunter looking to place shots out between 600 - 800 yards and am thinking something in the 165 -200 grain bullet . I live and hunt primarily in Colorado at around 7500 - 10,000 ft elevation

I will offer the load I have been using for a long time, but you need to work up to the charge weight because most published loads are less.

I use WW cases and Win large rifle primers, not magnum

Hornady 165 or Nosler 168

80.0 grains of H4831 which is not hot in my rifle, but could easily be in yours

My velocity is about 3050fps in a Model 700 that is more than 30 years old.

accuracy is easily 3/4", but I don't shoot it often from the bench, it's a light rifle and I am also a hunter.

Be careful, good luck. BB

thanks bb , I have been using hornady 165 gmx superformance box ammo until now with pretty good results

I have reloaded a lot of 300 win mag rounds and worked will all kinds of guns makes never a 300 win mag in a savage. But i have 2 go to loads both have worked well in my rem, my dads sako and a friend of mines winchester they are as follows

180 gr nosler partition
IMR 7828
72.3 gr
Fed 215m primers
Win. / rem or hornady brass
3.550 c.o.a.l vel on 24" barrel is 2990. **this is a very safe very reliable load**

200 gr nosler partition
H1000
80.0 gr
Fed 215 primers
Win / rem and hornady brass
3.340 c.o.a.l vel. 3009 fps 24" barrel. ** this is a very stiff load work up to it but it works well **

Here is what I have been using. As suggested, please work your way up on these and watch for pressure signs. Be safe!

190 gr
4831sc
74.0 gr
Fed 215m primers
Win brass

1/2 to 2/3" accuracy for me and the higher weight keeps it on track for the farther distances.

I shoot 168 Grain bullets in my .308, I shoot 190's in my 30-06, I shoot 208 grain Amax or 220 grain Sierras in my 300 win mag...

Get the idea?

The whole point of shooting a magnum rifle designed to shoot long range is to be able to shoot bullets that were designed to go long range or heavies that will have devastating terminal effects up close.

H1000 is THE 300 Win Mag powder if you can find it. It is not temp sensitive so it will be perfect for Colorado (I grew up there so I know the deal)

If you are dead set on staying at 200 grains then I would shoot Nosler Accubonds. They were my go to bullet for Elk only I preferred a 30-06 for elk over a 300 win mag, especially on smaller cows. Accubonds are a bit more expensive than the Amax... and probably have very similar terminal effects, but a box a year is all you need and they work well, I killed plenty of Elk with them.

I don't like to give charge weights since all guns shoot different, but 74 to 78 grains would be a nice hunting load that will not take half the energy through the other side of the animal. 2900 FPS with a 200 grain bullet is what you need to look for.