• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloaded cases won't fit in my mag

Drewdemon

Online Member
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Im working on my first rounds for reloading my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor. My latest hurdle is the bullets overall length (OAL) to fit in my mag. I measured my seating depth, Ogive, at 2.72.

My mag is; 7.62x51 NATO (.308 Win) PMAG 10 LR/SR GEN M3 with a SAMMI OAL of 2.830. If I shave off ten thousand (this is what I’ve seen some ppl recommend for Hornady 140g ELD-M) I get 2.62 but then my OAL exceeds the maximum length of my mag. Should I bump it back more? I guess i have to if i want to use my mags. Could use some guidance.

Thanks

Im working on my first rounds for reloading my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor. My latest hurdle is the bullets overall length (OAL) to fit in my mag. I measured my seating depth, Ogive, at 2.72.

My mag is; 7.62x51 NATO (.308 Win) PMAG 10 LR/SR GEN M3 with a SAMMI OAL of 2.830. If I shave off ten thousand (this is what I’ve seen some ppl recommend for Hornady 140g ELD-M) I get 2.62 but then my OAL exceeds the maximum length of my mag. Should I bump it back more? I guess i have to if i want to use my mags. Could use some guidance.

Thanks

That's the big bummer using some systems, the mag length will dictate your OAL. you will have to seat them deeper, unless you want a single shot. Bummer. But test your reloads, I had a good load with my .308 using AICS mags... I thought my groups would go to hell because my original OAL was a lot longer then the mag restrictions, I seated the bullets deeper and my groups actually Improved. So that was a good outcome. It's not always like that though.

Seat 10 deeper and test. You may need to adjust your powder charge weight as well. That's why when I am reloading for any gun with a magazine restriction, besides my DT, I start with the max mag length , seating depth, I can go. Then I do my charge weight testing from there. If that made sense

Reactions: Drewdemon
^^^^ This ^^^^

You will be able to load to a max OAL just above 2.860" with the AICS Magpul magazine. And they function much smoother too.

One other question, for Hornady 140g ELD match, if the magazine wasn't a prob what's the recommended bullet seating depth once you have a measurement? Ten to twenty thousands off the lands/rifling?

Last edited:
One other question, for Hornady 140g ELD match, if the magazine wasn't a prob what's the recommended bullet seating depth once you have a measurement? Ten to twenty thousands off the lands/rifling?

Depends on the rifle. I usually settle on a powder charge then do a seating depth test to see what the individual rifle likes best.

That being said my current barrel likes that bullet best at a .030 jump. I load them 2.814 which is .030 jump in my chamber in a aics style pmag

I have two preferred 6.5CM RPR loads with the 140 gr ELD-M that group tightly (under 3/4 MOA).

Both are 41.2 gr of H4350 and have an MV of 2698 fps. Preferred one is a 0.050 jump with an OAL of 2.821. Backup one is a 0.020 jump with an OAL of 2.861... which just fits in the AICS pmag with a couple of thousands to spare.