• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Reloading 223rem for 100yrd egg shoot

ooglassoo

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Matteson IL
Just to give you a little background, I have never reloaded for rifle or pistol but I have done shotgun. I want to reload for my rem 700 it's a 26" 1/12 bbl. The bullets are
Hornady #2223 22 Cal .223 45gr Hornet
And sierra #1100 22 Caliber, .224" Diameter, 40 Grain Hornet, Sierra Varminter Rifle Bullets. I was thinking of reloading these with IMR 8208 XBR. Would these be good bullets for egg shoots at a 100yrds? The reason I want to use these bullets is I can get a mix of both, a total of 380 heads for $38.00. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dennis

Re: Reloading 223rem for 100yrd egg shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ooglassoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to give you a little background, I have never reloaded for rifle or pistol but I have done shotgun. I want to reload for my rem 700 it's a 26" 1/12 bbl. The bullets are
Hornady #2223 22 Cal .223 45gr Hornet
And sierra #1100 22 Caliber, .224" Diameter, 40 Grain Hornet, Sierra Varminter Rifle Bullets. I was thinking of reloading these with IMR 8208 XBR. Would these be good bullets for egg shoots at a 100yrds? The reason I want to use these bullets is I can get a mix of both, a total of 380 heads for $38.00. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dennis </div></div>

I think it's Clint Smith who states that:

'there are no 'good' ideas the night before a competition'.

Load some up, go out and shoot them and see how they shoot.

Only your weapon will tell you if they're worthy of crackin' some eggs.

Chris

I think the bullets noted by Hornady as "Hornet" have thinner than normal jackets to allow them to expand correctly at 22 Hornet velocities which are substantially lower than most other 22 centerfire rounds. In 223 pushed to full velocity they might over spin and blow up before reaching the target. Something to think about.

"Hornady #2223 22 Cal .223 45gr Hornet"

I would not use these in your current setup. They are ".223" diameter specifically designed for earlier .22 hornet setups. Your .223 Rem. is set up to use the ".224" in bullets. You won't get the egg accuracy you will likely want. You'll get way too many fliers and very inconsistent groups. I don't care how cheap you will get your bullets, you'll not get the accuracy you will want in an egg shoot!!

+1 on foregoing the Hornet bullets in 223 Remington. The jackets are to thin. I have had very good luck with the Hornady 30 grain Vmax in 223 R. Great accuracy and velocity.

Get some 52 or 53 grain match/target bullets. They cost a little more but the results will be much better.

Well I ended up getting Sierra .224 dia 55 gr blitz varminter #1345 and H322 powder with Remington 7-1/2 match primers. I'm hoping this combination will work as well for me as it did for my buddy who gave me my shopping list. At the last egg shoot he hit 15 eggs with 15 shots. I will also add that his 15/15 was with a 8" 223 pistol at a 100yrds. Anyway wish me luck and thanks for your input guys I appreciate it. Dennis

Have you considered that an 8" pistol might just prefer a little different load than a 26"rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ooglassoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I ended up getting Sierra .224 dia 55 gr blitz varminter #1345 and H322 powder with Remington 7-1/2 match primers. I'm hoping this combination will work as well for me as it did for my buddy who gave me my shopping list. At the last egg shoot he hit 15 eggs with 15 shots. I will also add that his 15/15 was with a 8" 223 pistol at a 100yrds. Anyway wish me luck and thanks for your input guys I appreciate it. Dennis </div></div>

If your rifle will not shoot this combination then its time to get a new rifle. I have never shot H322 and 55gr bullets that didn't shoot good.

Check out midsouth varmint nightmare's its a much more appropriate (non hornet) bullet and you can get 500 for apx the same price. (although you will most likely have to add shipping)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ooglassoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I ended up getting Sierra .224 dia 55 gr blitz varminter #1345 and H322 powder with Remington 7-1/2 match primers. I'm hoping this combination will work as well for me as it did for my buddy who gave me my shopping list. At the last egg shoot he hit 15 eggs with 15 shots. I will also add that his 15/15 was with a 8" 223 pistol at a 100yrds. Anyway wish me luck and thanks for your input guys I appreciate it. Dennis </div></div>

if this combo don't work give H4895 a try. it works in my rem 700