• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading 7mm Rem Mag

nforrest85

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2008
Miami,OK
Ok so I have searched alot on the web and here. Problem I am having is that I want to load 130gr BTHP Sierra MatchKings and 130gr bullets aren't the most popular. Most shoot 140gr-160gr bullets. Thats what my friend shoots in his .308(168gr) and I really like the results. So I have a box of 130gr Sierras and have been looking for powders. I think I want to go with IMR4831 or H4831, leaning towards the IMR, but depends on what I can get at the local shop. I don't want to have to order it and pay expensive shipping. We will also be using CCI large rifle primers and the gun for the load is a Rem700 ADL and will be used for whitetail hunting and target shooting. Whitetail here in Oklahoma aren't huge in comparison to other parts of the country, so 130gr are plenty capable of doing the job.
so the question being, what powder is recommended and does anyone have experience with 7mag reloads using 130gr bullets?

Re: Reloading 7mm Rem Mag

I worked up a 7mm load using 130's a long time ago, figgered it would make an awesome antelope round. Never did go antelope hunting though, so I can't offer any other insight than what it did on paper.

Anway, here is what my notes from then say:

Rem. cases, Annealed, CCI 250 Primer
61.0 gr. of IMR 4831, Speer 130 BTSP, Book vel. 3044
Accuracy very good

My notes also show I went up to 64.0 grains, but the groups opened up. I was shooting a Ruger M-77 back then, with a standard hunter profile barrel.

IMR4831 is THE powder I judge all others by in the 7mm Rem Mag. So it would be a good one to use. However, for the 130 gr bullet, IMR4350 might give a bit better performance.

RHW, thank you. I appreciate the help and I will be looking into the 4350, but again will depend on what I can get. and its good to know that the 4831 will do as I have read.

Another question you guys. Another friend says he has the stuff to put in a tumbler along with the bullets to moly coat them. Is this worth it? I considered loading 4 or 5 of each moly coated and non-moly coated and shooting groups to see the difference. but figured someone has done that already. what were your results? The friend with the moly coat stuff says that he can get the performance of 42grs powder using only 40grs of powder in his .243win if he moly coats. I have no experience with it and looking for others experience.

Moly was all the rage several years ago. It does increase velocities for the same pressure - but it fell out of favor. I am not sure the reason, as I never used moly.

I also don't think one is supposed shoot moly and non-moly without doing a thorough cleaning of the rifle barrel when you change to the non-moly. I don't remember all the issues, just when I looked into it, it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject of moly can jump in.

I agree with RHW on the not mixing moly and plain bullets. You either shoot moly
and only moly or thoroughly clean between and then it takes 10 or twenty rounds
to recondition the bore with moly. A lot of guys still shoot them but I gave up. I saw
slight speed increases but a little loss in accuracy in my 308 with the one box I tried.
Certainly not a fair test of them by any means.