• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading assistance please

Just getting back (busy week...), yes, I've noticed the same thing.

Thinking about it, the consequence is one or several cases with a tighter than ideal bolt closure drag. I could reset the die and resize the cases again, but I don't. I don't believe in working the brass any more than is absolutely necessary, so I will adjust the die, but leave the cases alone until the next loading, living with the drag for this loading cycle. Accuracy issues would also likely be less than one might imagine, since the firing cycle pressures will expand both the case and the chamber appreciably; effectively equalizing the pressure/expansion effects of resizing for all of the cases in that reloading cycle.

Folks will (rightly) repeat the longtime mantra that case size constitutes true chamber size. But it is the expanded case size that defines that volume.

I'm gonna get into case resizing now, and some of this is not going to conform with popular handloading dogma. As might be expected with the likes of me, I don't do things simply because they agree with common wisdom.

I (sorta) neck resize (mostly), but I still use the standard Full Length Resizing Die to accomplish the task. I use an old and currently disused practice that dates back to the days when Benchrest shooters only had F/L dies to work with. I call it partial length neck resizing, because that's pretty much what it is.

I set up the die with it backed off most of the length of the case neck, allowing only about 1/16"-1/8" of the very end of that case neck to actually enter the die, and yes, I also use the expander ball. This leaves the lower portion of the neck (and the lower portion of the case wall as well...) unresized. Obviously, this does not allow the case shoulder to be contacted (I have another trick for dealing with that process).

Why do this? Well it works the brass less, especially in the lower case wall area, where such working can contribute the case head separations. It only works the mouth area of the neck, too.

These expanded portions of the case wall and case neck do something that other case neck resizing techniques can't. By leaving these areas still expanded, they permit the case to more precisely center itself into the chamber when the bolt gets closed.

This means the case is more precisely aligned with the bore axis when ignition occurs. Is this a crucial distinction? I don't know, but logic would suggest that cases that aren't left expanded fore and aft will end up randomly cocked in the chamber when ignition occurs, and when the case neck opens to release the bullet, what do we think the rest of the case is doing? Whatever it is, it's maybe a whole lot more internal motion and realignment during the crucial bullet/rifling entry phase than I'd want to be seeing happening.

But what about the case shoulders? Well, case shoulders don't usually need bumping back for every cycle. If you forego hotter loads, it happens a lot less often, too; which is a key reason why I counsel against hotloading. Case necks also go through not so much expansion during the firing cycle, so case neck splits may be getting postponed, too.

But we still haven't addressed the case shoulders. For overlong case shoulder, I need to readjust the die so it bumps the shoulder back for just that cycle. That can be a pain to set up and restore back, and subjects the case wall and neck to a full length resizing, so I do it as seldom as possible. Actually, for my .30BR cases, I have yet to do it at all since I did the original F/L resize in the first loading two years ago. That's a good part of what I mean about milder loads being better.

Another strategy could be to use the F/L die for a similar case design, but one that uses a larger bullet diameter, like using a .308 case for a .260 case, or a .358 Win die for a .308 case, as a shoulder bump die. The case shoulder and body gets a complete resize, the case neck remains untouched, and the other die setup, with the partial length adjustment, remains undisturbed. More expensive, yep, but the logic could justify it.

Are there other advantages to partial length neck resizing? Maybe. In my experimentation, I determined that the best neck tension is the least neck tension. This can go too far, and neck tension so light that it allows the bullet to be shifted during chambering (or extraction) is too little. This is also another reason why I set up the Cartridge OAL to jump, instead of jam. When I set up the F/L die for partial resizing, I use a dummy round, and adjust the resizing die so the seated bullet can be spun in the case with just the grip of forefinger and thumb on the bullet. I then increase the resizing die depth until it can't. This provides a definable and repeatable neck tension. I'm not trying for some numeric value, rather; I'm trying for something that can be defined, recognized, and repeated. The important part here is that we can keep up with neck hardening by repeating this setup refinement every few loading cycles. Keeping the neck tension relatively consistent and verifiably so is the overall goal here, because neck tension is one of the crucial factors in establishing load development die setup parameters.

When loads go bad, it's this factor that usually is to blame, and also the factor the fewest people will suspect is at the cause of all the confusion. Neck hardening dictates that neck tension will change, and this resizing technique keeps it under good management. Simply sizing to a specific diameter pays zero heed to the brass hardening factor, and even though the numbers look good, the neck tension is still always going to be in transition with such methods.

Again, my methods ignore the numbers, and deal directly with the actual situation, which the numbers can often fail to reveal.

BTW, an earlier reference advised that primer pockets need cleaning. I tried/tested this and found no reliable evidence it does anything related to accuracy; but it does soothe the soul.

Two weeks ago, I took delivery of one of these Ultrasonic Cleaners. I put my Wife's rings in for 10 minutes and boyohboy, do they look a lot better now. I then threw in 60 of my Lapua .30br cases which have been accumulating internal crud for lo these past two years. I had to keep repeating, until I got just past 2 hours, but yessir, those case now look completely virginal (clean, yes, shiny, no...; including the primer pockets since I also had the stupid luck to have done them with the primers removed). Future cleanings should take a lot less time, now.

BTW, the thing issues a soft, insidious 43Hz buzz, so be advised it drives normally docile cats insane, and people slightly less so. I have been advised that either I or 'that thing' are hereby banished from the inhabited areas of our domicile.

Greg

PS, I just finished cleaning a quart container full of old once fired .223 LC brass that had been sitting dormant for about a decade. A quart is to big a load for the 3 liter capacity of my little Ultrasonic Cleaner. I halved the quantity of brass, reduced the water level to just cover it and fortified the Citric Acid/Dawn solution. After a half hour the neck interiors are completely free of soot, and I'm assuming the rest of the interiors follow suit. Although I used Lemishine for the .30BR, I replaced it with one packet of Unsweetened Kool-Aide Lemonade with the .223. The two products are essentially citric acid, but the Kool-Aide only costs 20 cents a pack. It works just fine.

Last edited:
Hey, I have done all the things you guys suggested. All went pretty well with the loads including getting the bolt in my 308 to close properly now. However, as always the case another problem arouse and I need your assistance/advice. After shooting a cartridge (this happened all day today and increasingly lately) from my remington 770 .243 the bolt seems like "welded" in place. I have to exert massive force to pry it open...and as you mentiond before anything that requires force is probably not good. Can it be the overall length? I checked before I poured the powder and after resizing and I was within the parameters. I tried to reload the empty case after I force it out and it appeared to be rather difficult to re-chamber. What might I do to alleviate this new dilemma?

Stop now! The hard opening symptom is an indication of a potentially dangerous overpressure condition. Symptoms like hard to open bolts are danger flags. If they happen once, they are cause for concern, if they happen again, they are cause for alarm. Proceeding beyond that point is very unwise. This report of yours scares me, and it should scare you, too. This is one of those instances where any of the unfired ammo should not be fired, but should be disassembled instead; there's a good possibility that the load you were using is not safe.

Did you ensure that the case length is not too long?

There are several lengths that are important. Length from base to shoulder (headspace), length from base to case mouth (case length), length from base to tip of projectile (overall length). Some of the major concerns are as follows:

Headspace: too long, bolt won't close; too short, case head separation issues.

Case length: too short, not an especially big deal; too long, case mouth can't expand causing serious/dangerous/possibly catastrophic pressure spikes, jammed bolts, possible KaBOOM.

Overall length: too short, may affect accuracy; too long, bolt closes hard, possible pressure spikes.

Be sure you know the correct values for these lengths for your cartridge.

It appears that trying to learn handloading second hand is not a good idea. You need to get 'eyes/hands on' assistance from an experienced handloader.

Excessive pressures are accompanied by visible signs on the fired case. Consult your handloading manuals to learn how to recognize those signs.

The more common causes of excessive pressure include excessive powder charges for the selected bullet. Matching a published charge for a bullet of a given weight to different bullet of the same weight is not necessarily safe. Weight alone is not the only important factor.

As stated before, stay within published (in loading manuals) load spec limits. There is no benefit that can be safely associated with powder charges that are more than published maximums or less than published minimums. Yes, sub-minimum charges can be dangerous. Load manuals are not just about load recipes. Read and understand all of the sections.

As I have inferred before, I do things differently because I have taken decades to learn and understand as many of the critical factors as possible that are involved in applying personal judgment to handloading. That does not infer that what I do can be safely imitated by others, especially without the intuition that decades of experience may impart (or may not; nobody has all the knowledge). The equipment does not know how much you understand and it does not care; a thing is not necessarily safe simply because it is possible to do it. Very often, the opposite is the actual truth.

I can't agree to advise you beyond this point, you need onsite experienced assistance.

Sniper's Hide Assume no responsibility for examples given, please follow safe reloading practices. Load at your own risk.

I, also, assume no responsibility for advice given. Load at your own risk.

This episode has yet again reminded me that I really shouldn't be sharing that judgment on a public web site.

Greg

Last edited:
Thank you Greg,

None of the issues you have mentioned as potential red flags were present during the episode I related to you. The headspace was checked, the overall length and cartridge measured to the ogive and to the tip was properly checked plus I measured the empty case before I poured in the powder and it was according to specs. Whatever caused that did not happen at the beginning of firing when the barrel was colder. I shot very same cartridges with no problem opening the bolt. I waited for the barrel to cool off but still after a while the problem mentioned occurred. I tried immediately to re-chamber the fired case and encountered resistance opening the bolt. I checked the same cartridge later and discovered I could close and open the bolt much easier. Understanding and respecting your concern I am in this quandary which I am sure has a plausible explanation. Again none of the issues you enumerated as red flags were happening.

Take the fired cases, rifle, and (if possible) a validly representative sample of the unfired loads to a competent gunsmith for proper evaluation. This issue needs to be definitively diagnosed and resolved.

Other possible causes: dirt in receiver bolt locking recess(es), insufficient bolt lug lubrication, galled bolt locking lug(s).

Greg

Last edited:
Hey, I have done all the things you guys suggested. All went pretty well with the loads including getting the bolt in my 308 to close properly now. However, as always the case another problem arouse and I need your assistance/advice. After shooting a cartridge (this happened all day today and increasingly lately) from my remington 770 .243 the bolt seems like "welded" in place. I have to exert massive force to pry it open...and as you mentiond before anything that requires force is probably not good. Can it be the overall length? I checked before I poured the powder and after resizing and I was within the parameters. I tried to reload the empty case after I force it out and it appeared to be rather difficult to re-chamber. What might I do to alleviate this new dilemma?

I am just getting into hand loading and am thinking maybe one should slow down a bit and rethink this... What could possibly go wrong before continuing shooting those loads all day.

The first thing to do is get a reloading manual then read it.

The second thing to do is get another manual then read it.

Then before one starts to hand load get another manual and then read it.

If you did this you would surely have read to not shoot another round if you experience what you experienced " all day long and increasingly lately "

Take the advice given above and see if there is someone able to guide you thru this first hand rather than over this internet thingy. You were given very sound advice here, its a good thing to have a place like this to ask questions but sometimes things get lost in translation.

Good luck and hope things get solved safely for you.