• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading book

Dave__th3__ss

Ammo prep guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
My reloading room
If one was looking for a book to start reloading what would you suggest?

while the forum is a great source of information having to sift through so much is very overwhelming.

any and all the books are good. they all should have the information at the front to get one into reloading. recipes mean little if one doesn't know where to start. reloading is a bit like cooking, you need to know what temperature to set the oven/stove (reloading dies & brass) before you get the recipe (powder charge) right. books are projectile specific and you might need more than one to get you off the starting line. i have a few, but powder charge would be the most important. like all the book would mention, always start low and work up monitoring pressure signs etc. there is no fast way to get into reloading, just remember that you are building a bomb that goes off inches in front of your face. you have to get it right.

A bullet manufacturers reloading book ( Hornady) as an example has basic level instructions good for a beginner.

Top Grade Ammo by Glen Zediker ( passed away a week or so ago rip sir ) will give very good. advanced info that the above doesnt.

With both you'll be prepared to enter the rabbit hole.

Reactions: Dave__th3__ss
This is an awesome website to get data too

I got two books years ago when I started and read them completely (except for the data I didn't need lol) but they didn't really tell me much that anyone could have easily figured out on their own. There was a ton of stuff I wish they but in there that would actually be useful. For example, small base dies, push through dies, more details or really any detailon over crimping...the list goes on

The Lyman, Berger, Hornady, Nosler books have a wealth of information for the beginner. The Norma book is not bad ether.

Over time, you will have about 4 or 5 books you will pull form besides the Hodgdon, Vihtavuori, Accurate Powder, Alliant Powder and a few others.