• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Reloading die head space question.

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I am loading up some 6.5 creedmoor ammo and i am noticing that my Hornady FL size die will not bump back the shoulders on my cases. I have a Hornady head space gauge that i put on my calipers to check head space with and a fired case measures 1.374 after i FL size the case it goes to 1.375 at best. I have tried everything to get the die to bump the shoulder back at least 1 thou and i cant get it done. What i find crazy is that the die actually makes the case worse than it was in its fired form??? I guess i am going to have to have a custom die made. Any ideas?? The rounds will chamber of course but you can feel the resistance. I wish i could buy a neck sizing die for the creedmoor but they dont make on. Thanks Lee

Re: Reloading die head space question.

Have you thought about calling Redding and asking what they have?

I have the same die and gauge that I use on my 6.5 Creedmoor. I recently measured a new piece of once fired brass, and got 1.370. I kept adjusting my Hornady F/L die until I got 1.368/1.369. That eliminated the problem I had chambering the rounds. My F/L die set is a Hornady #546289, and I kept adjusting it down a little at a time until I got my measurement. You should be able to bump the shoulder back? I have a Hornady neck size die #046043, but have not used it much. Just trimmed and full sized everything to fit. I'll now fire it all, and then see how only neck sizing works. Seemed to tighten groups on the few I tried.

You would think that i could adjust the die down and get my bump, but it isnt happening. I even tried a shell holder that i had 15 thou removed from and it still isnt bumping the shoulders back. Doesnt make any since to me. I tried camming the press over and still no bump. I dont understand!! I will play around some more with it.
I wish redding made a 6.5 creedmoor die. If they did i would buy one!!
Were woud be the best place to have a custom FlS die made? Forster, redding, wilson???? I am going to check into this anyway. this rifle i have is supper accurate and i want to get the most out of it. If you guys have any ideas for me to try with the die i have let me know. Like i said just doesnt make any since. Lee

Lee
If you have a shell-holder -.015.......... grab your FL die and some brass head over to your gunsmith. Take .020 off the die and try that........ or get him to run the reamer in until your die works. (your rifle)

I agree with criver. It just makes people nervous when you ask if they want to have material ground from their die. "V" blocks on a surface grinder is the best way. But it can be done several different ways.