• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading Dies for 308 Win

Russell3812

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
Hello, making some purchases to enter the world or reloading. I purchased a Savage 308 back in February and now have the itch to make my own handloads.

I am considering purchasing the RCBS 37801 competition full length rifle die set. But I'm trying to justify spending the $91 when there are other 308 die sets for $28.

The RCBS set has a micrometer for accurate seating bullet depth and a bullet guide to insure correct bullet alignment. Is this worth the cost? Any recommendations for a newbie? Thank you.

Re: Reloading Dies for 308 Win

Redding Type S bushing FL die, Redding Competition seating die, or a Forster Micrometer seater, this combination of dies will make excellent ammo for the rest of your life, and your grandkids life's too.

Look at Redding S-type neck sizing dies. Using fire-formed cases you will get a lot more life out of your brass. Just a thought....

I FL everytime, bump the shoulder .001-.0015, and your brass will last long enough to get it's useful life out of it.

"...trying to justify spending the $91 when there are other 308 die sets for $28."

Get the $28 sets, they will load ammo just as accurately as that over priced set in the pretty wood box.

Having a set of Type-S and a set of Competition dies (Both Redding). The micrometer head on the sizing die is "not that useful" while the micrometer on the bullet seating die is VERY useful.

So a Type-S sizing die and a competition seating die is optimal in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding Type S bushing FL die, Redding Competition seating die, or a Forster Micrometer seater, this combination of dies will make excellent ammo for the rest of your life, and your grandkids life's too. </div></div>

The man speaks the absolute truth.
Redding #36155
271533.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhTexas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Redding. Have changed most of the old RCBS out for Redding. </div></div>

+2 same thing, changed out my RCBS for redding for the bolt action calibers I run.

type S allows you some very good control of neck tension

madd0c