• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading equipment?

nitronova

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
henderson nv
Well guys I am a newbie reloader and I want to make sure I have all the equipment. This is what I have. I have a lymans turrent press tmag expert kit with digital scale. An rcbs shell holder and trickler. I have the rcbs dies. I have a Lyman case tumbler. I have a reloading bench. I have a powder measure stand. I have powder, bullets, primers, and brass. So if there is anything else that I absolutely need to get this thing up and running the right way for safety and for doing it the right way please let me know hiders.

Re: Reloading equipment?

tumbler and a good caliper, dont go cheap on that its used on everything neck case bullet seating ect... and maybe some case lube for non carbide dies

Manuals. And as you go along you will find all kinds of stuff that you need.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Manuals</span>. And as you go along you will find all kinds of stuff that you need.
grin.gif
</div></div>

The more you read, the better off you will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manuals. And as you go along you will find all kinds of stuff that you need.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I have found the ABC's of reloading to be very very helpful.

one shot sizing wax/lube , Do not skimp on the wax , sticking a case in a die sucks.

You should use a hand priming tool. That kit uses a press type prime tool right ? Its easy to put to much force using press type prime tool (and sometimes crap falls into the primearm thing , causes little indentations on your primers , its possible it could set one off , i wouldnt know i never done it)

so until you understand what your doing get a cheapo lee auto prime , they're like 10 bucks , and you need lee "auto-prime shellholders" to make it work.

do not push your max load data, in fact stay 5% behind it until you understand more about what your doing ( allot of factors go in to max load , probably out of your control right now)

ya , +1 bullet puller , hornady cam lock works well but damages jackets.

+1 read allot

+1 caliper

if a case dont fit in your rifle , dont try and make it

ask others for their thoughts on a particular load data , if a load appears to be overpressured , a 2nd opinion cant hurt that much.

learn about high pressure signs
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=58763

dont do anything "wild" until you got a hang of what your doing , until then , if something looks bad/unsafe , toss it , eat the loss.
take care and be careful

Different people have different learning styles.
I learn by watching, but I had no one to watch.
So I got an RCBS VHS tape and watched someone else load ammo.

There are lots of ways to do it.
A friend came over, and I gave him enough gear to reload. I had him reloading here, and he took the press, dies, powder, brass, bullets, primers, etc with him. I doubt he has done it since.
That is the other variable... some people are just not born to reload.

Just read up a shit loads and have an attempt at it.

You will work out whats missing along the way.

To get started all you need is a press, dies, shell holder, powder measure, some powder, primers, brass, projectiles and a loaded round.

Set your FL die up according to the manufacuters instructions, and set the seating die by utilising the loaded round. You can do this by putting the die in the press, and pushing the loaded round up into the seating die and screwing down the stem until it stops. Obviously back the steam way off before you do this.

Start off with book minimum.

That will get you started safely, and as you go along you will realise you have only just started the long journey of an equipment buying frenzy.

You will also end up fine adjusting your dies, both the FL and seater once you acquire tools like calipers, headspace guages, bullet comparitors etc.

Wear shooting glasses whenever you shoot handloads.

A little more than I thought goes into this. Planning on getting started myself soon. Guess I'll be needing to research a little more...

First of all thank you guys for all the input. The Lyman manual seems generic. Do you all use manuals that are for the bullet manufacture? I'm reloading .300 win mag and using 208amax with h1000 and cci primers. The Lyman book doesn't have any data on the 208. Also I just bought a caliper and am looking at the auto prime system that mallard suggested.

If your loading kit did not come with a handbook/manual those tell you quite a bit. My loading kit came with the Lyman 49th edition and you can also get free load date from Hodgedons website that is pretty decent. If you plan do load large rifle bullets, you may want to invest in a single stage press. I have found the turret flex's alot when trying to size larger rifle brass with the T-Mag press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wear shooting glasses whenever you shoot handloads.</div></div>
That has to be one of the "interesting'est" statements I've ever seen. It should correctly read "WEAR SHOOTING GLASSES WHENEVER YOU SHOOT" period. full stop. go no further.

As I have attested to prior, it was FACTORY ammunition which cause my rifle to grenade in my face. And yes, there was a recall as well, I found out later.

If it wasn't for the glasses that I was wearing at the time, the shrapnel would've gone into my eyes, instead of being deflected to my forehead/sky.

It happened to me, and it can happen to you, too. The only people that it CAN'T happen to, are those who never actually get up from the computer chair and shoot.

True good point. I actually did mean whenever you shoot, but I think being in this thread and talking about handloads, thats why I might have said that.

Safety glasses are kinda like seat belts, some wear them, some don't(me) but sooner or later they will probably save you from getting hurt but the risk is pretty low IMO.

That said I do encourage their use more so when shooting pistols.

Read and comprehend TresMon's series "Handloading for Long Range 1-5". These detailed procedures are stickys on the Hide's Reloading section. Exceptionally well-written with generous explanations.

Complete gems courtesy of TresMon.

Knowledge, safe practices, and "hands-on" guidance from seasoned Handloaders are an order of magnitude more crucial than equipment selection.

I would say to buy as many reloading manuals as you can to get started, never mix powders, it could be catastrophic. Read a lot ask as many questions as you need to. In my book no question is dumb. My .02