• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for Precision AR-15

JeffBox

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2004
Middle GA
I'm not entirely new to reloading but I am new to reloading for the AR-15. So what would be your go-to reloading formula for a .223 AR using 77gr bullets in a 7 or 8 twist 20" barrel? Not really looking for specific loads, just what type of powder, primers and bullets. Thanks
smile.gif

Re: Reloading for Precision AR-15

I've started working with 77 SMK, 205M primers, and 8208, and am getting exceptional results.

I use RL 15 for 77 & 80 Grn SMKs CCI Bench Rest Primers Winchester Brass, for high power out of my White Oak.

I have used those same componets for my across the course for a number of years with excellent results. I know there are new powders coming out but Reloader 15 remains to be very reliable.

I have a few pounds of RL-15 that I use for my 7mm-08 but I went ahead and put some IMR 8208 on backorder with PowderValley. Who knows when that will come in though!

H4895 has given me my best performance. Wolf SRM primers and LC cases. Lapua 77's.

77 smk, varget, cci-400. I'm at 24 grains of powder. I have heard cci-400 may is considered a soft primer but I have not had any problems. I have used wolf magnums for long range loads, they are good too. RL 15 is also a common powder but I haven't used it for .223, I have shot it in .308. For varget you'll find a range of 23.5 to 24.5 grains, Sierra lists 23.8 as a max load.

77 gr SMK, Tac, lapua brass and CCI primers. Powder flows great through lock and load powder measure. Ammo is built on a progressive press almost as fast as pistol ammo. There is an added delay to wipe off the lube. I can't detect a difference in accuracy from single stage to progressive.

I use IMR-4895, CCI BR-4 Primers, 77 SMK BTHP, regular LC 5.56 case and i get 1/2 minute or less when i do my part.

RL15 or VVN540 with rem 7.5 and LC brass

I've used only reloader 15 so far w/ 77grn SMK. Lake city brass and cci400 or 450 primers. Just ran out of the powder and need more.

To take the conversation a step further. I just purchased a single stage press for precision .308 and have most of the necessary components. However, I also want to reload 5.56mm plinking ammo and 5.56mm for precision out to 300yrs. Eventually, I'll get a multi-stage to churn out some high volume, but what would be recommended recipes for both those typs of ammo? Can I assume that the recipe for 5.56mm will be different than for .223 due to the additional pressure?

Almost forgot. I read somewhere that .223 die set is perfectly acceptable for this job, correct?

My best loads have been with varget, cci primers, and LC or Remington brass for 223. 24.3 grains with a 75-77 grain bullet and 2.245-2.25" length. Shoots good-to-great in everything.

For a 600 yard slow fire/bolt gun load I use the 75 amax @ 2.45" same everything else. Again it works decent in every rifle I've shot it in.

For 308 you will want 43-43.5 grains of varget in FC or LC brass and a 175smk to 2.81" w/cci primer, for win brass 44-45. These will be approaching max pressure but should leave a 24" bolt 308 at over 2600fps so supersonic to 1k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerHappy44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To take the conversation a step further. I just purchased a single stage press for precision .308 and have most of the necessary components. However, I also want to reload 5.56mm plinking ammo and 5.56mm for precision out to 300yrs. Eventually, I'll get a multi-stage to churn out some high volume, but what would be recommended recipes for both those typs of ammo? Can I assume that the recipe for 5.56mm will be different than for .223 due to the additional pressure?

Almost forgot. I read somewhere that .223 die set is perfectly acceptable for this job, correct? </div></div>

Yes 223 dies work for 556 hahahahaha. Get an RCBS small base die set off ebay and try it out, if the seater makes rings on your bullets send it and a few of the bullets to RCBS in oroville and they will grind it out to fit your bullet.

556 load data will be at a higher pressure max but really...when you work up a load you work it up for your specific rifle. Buy a good reloading book, look online to see what other people are using, and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerHappy44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I assume that the recipe for 5.56mm will be different than for .223 due to the additional pressure?
</div></div>
I suppose that's true, but in my mind we reloaders are simply making ammunition for our specific chambers that doesn't <span style="font-style: italic">necessarily</span> conform to either the .223 Rem or the 5.56 NATO specification.

I'm going to suggest a standard Forster full-length sizing die; skip the small-base die unless your rifle insists upon it.

When I had my precision AR (RRA 24" Varmint Upper 1-8 twist), IMR4895 and 69gr SMKs with CCI BR-4 primers were the best combo. Had more than a few 1" 10-shot groups. And that was with a stock lpk trigger (the dragging-a-couch-across-a-gravel-driveway kind).

IMR-4895, CCI BR-4 Primers, 77 SMK BTHP, regular LC 5.56 case, Lee FL die, LE Wilson hand die, MV 2720, Rock River 20" NM rifle, 3" groups at 600 yards consistent.