• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for the 7.62 semi auto- school me!

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I am pretty well versed in handloading. However, I just picked up a semi auto, and I guess I have a couple questions:

1: I use Redding Competition "S" type dies. Do I need a "small base" die?

2: I generally bump the shoulders back .002". I measure with a micrometer and use redding micrometer shellplates to make my adjustments. Is .002" enough for a semi auto to reliably function?

3: Do I need to crimp? Do I run more neck tension for a semi than a bolt gun?

Thanks guys,

-Bob

My 2 cents bud:

1: I never had an issue with any of my semi auto platforms (OBR, REPR or MWS) utilizing a redding S type FL die (.334" bushing with Lupua brass). However, this varies (depending on your barrel/chambering). I say load a few and check for functionality.

2:I always bumped the shoulders back .003-.004".... reliability was my main concern. Again, this varies and some semi auto platforms may not have an issue with a .002" bump. Trail and error procedure (but error on the side of caution).

3:I never crimped any of my .308 platforms and only 1 (of the 9) 5.56 platforms, and that was mainly due to the m4 cuts in the chambering out of alignment (hence the reason I had feeding issues).

Hope that helps.

I found that my Armalite AR10 chamber was very tight and needed a small base die and had to full length size every time to avoid failure to feed issues....never crimped any for this rifle and never had any troubles in that department.

Are you using a .334 bushing with or without an expander ball? How much neck tension is required to not need to crimp?

For prior-use brass, I've found I need to run mine through a small base body die (Redding) after full length sizing (Redding, regular FLS die), and crimp (Lee), in order to get reliable feeding; haven't played around with neck tension. Once I got that down, it worked just fine. YMMV.

I use Redding S dies and have no problems.

I bump 0.002" & have no problems

I DO crimp (Lee Factory Crimp Die), but I'm running a .336" bushing which only gives me 0.0015"-0.002" tension.

I am pretty well versed in handloading. However, I just picked up a semi auto, and I guess I have a couple questions:

1: I use Redding Competition "S" type dies. Do I need a "small base" die?

2: I generally bump the shoulders back .002". I measure with a micrometer and use redding micrometer shellplates to make my adjustments. Is .002" enough for a semi auto to reliably function?

3: Do I need to crimp? Do I run more neck tension for a semi than a bolt gun?

Thanks guys,

-Bob

Are you using a .334 bushing with or without an expander ball? How much neck tension is required to not need to crimp?

With.... semi auto are pretty tough on brass. Roughly .003-.004" neck tension with no issues.

Probably not really getting that much tension though if you are running a ball.

Good intel guys, keep it coming!

What issues should I look for in regards to the need for the small base die and more shoulder bump? Failure to extract, or chamber?

small base dies: failure to chamber (you'll most likely see witness marks on the brass). If it does chamber, stuck case/lip will rip off...

shoulder bump: BCG won't fully seat into battery

These are my experiences.

ps I run a carbide ball... run out is limited.

Mine wouldn't go into battery; took a shit-ton of pulling with both hands on the charging handle to extract the rounds. This ain't a 5.56, that's fer sure...

Probably not really getting that much tension though if you are running a ball.

Good intel guys, keep it coming!

What issues should I look for in regards to the need for the small base die and more shoulder bump? Failure to extract, or chamber?
the use of small base die make easier the chambering, thank to surer regular/concentrical resizing of the total body,until to the head _ more you bump the shoulder,be with small base or be with a "normal" die, more you will increase the headspace, causing more stress on the brass and his premature failure,a.k.a. head separation _ bumping .002 will be perfect,on my book,even if I reload L1A1 only_

In a LMT MWS I use regular RCBS .308 dies. IMR 4895, 4064, Varget or something similar. Load like a regular .308 or 7.62X51 round; M118, M118 LR or FGMM. Either 168 or 175. I use no crimp. There must be a hundred posts on here where someone has found the secret receipt for FGGM or M118LR. YMMV....

Mine wouldn't go into battery; took a shit-ton of pulling with both hands on the charging handle to extract the rounds. This ain't a 5.56, that's fer sure...

That was my issue as well and it SUCKS trying to get the bolt back in the field....or at the bench.
I have found that somewhere around the 43gr area of Varget works great for 168Amax and I see pressure signs when loading any more then 42gr with the 175gr Sierra or 178gr Amax but I am mostly running the 168's and from my 24" chrome moly barrel they do just fine for my current shooting needs.

I should have added that the AR10 platform seems to be kind of hard on brass and I don't get many reloads out of any that I have tried up to this point and lake city seems to work out better then commercial brass. (at least for me anyway)