• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for the M1918 BAR......??

mgd45

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
Ga.
Anyone here every reloaded ammmo to shoot through a replica of the Browning M1918 BAR? I'm assuming that reloading regular 30-06 ammo should be fine for range shooting, but I wonder if there is something more when shooting it through this particular rifle?

No luck in the search box......any suggestions?

Re: Reloading for the M1918 BAR......??

In 1926, the Ordnance Corps developed the .30 M1 Ball cartridge using a 174-grain (11.3 g) bullet with a 9 degree boat tail, traveling at a reduced muzzle velocity of 2,640 ft/s (800 m/s). This bullet offered significantly greater range from machineguns and rifles alike due to its increased ballistic coefficient. Additionally, a gilding metal jacket was developed that all but eliminated the metal fouling that plagued the earlier cartridge.

Copied from an old book.

I was wondering if using normal 30-06 dies to resize the old brass & simply loading a FMJ bullet would be fine. Or, should I only use the small-base dies instead......mainly looking for powder/load/bullet selection advice....

According to the military TM, the load for the M2 Ball 30-06 is 50gr of 4895, doesn't specify bullet weight, gives chamber pressure at 50k psi and mv of 2740 78 feet from the muzzle. Reloading regualr ammo should be fine for it as long as you keep your loads within reason and within gas-gun parameters. If I were loading for it, I would form with a small-base die, as the chamber in your repro might not be as sloppy (Oversized) as the original.

My 2 cents

M2 ball is the 147/150 gr FMJ from 1940. IMR 4895 is/was the go to powder for the 30-06 cartridge in the military for many years. Essentially most current production 30-06 rounds will work just fine in a BAR. Pressure limits are generally discussed to be 54,000 CUP.

Most commercially offered full length dies will achieve the required diameter for the BAR. I would be surprised to find the need for a small base die.

Cheers,

Doc