• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading fun

fmillik

Northwoods
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2020
Rhinelander, WI
Does anyone else find reloading as interesting/fun as actually shooting? I feel like all the work of reloading is as important as shooting, while shooting is mostly a necessary component to gather data to take back to the reloading bench.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
I think you will find that most consider reloading a neccesary evil.
There is however the small group of people in the glutton for punishment segment that actually enjoy reloading.
I have been been reloading since the early 90's and it started as a way to shoot more 44mag handgun ammo without wiping out my bank account and getting more performance out the round but obviously has grown exponentially from there.
If you enjoy it it is a money pitt but definitely worth the effort.

E5D91F29-0B6D-4561-8AFC-9B3662118FDF.gif

Does anyone else find reloading as interesting/fun as actually shooting? I feel like all the work of reloading is as important as shooting, while shooting is mostly a necessary component to gather data to take back to the reloading bench.

Heyyyyy a fellow person who enjoys reloading lol... thought I might be the only one.

I'm not sure if you'll understand my analogy here but I'll give it a go:
I get the same feeling when I reload that I do when I solve a math equation. My mind tends to thrive when there is a bit of challenge, and I can complete, create, and/or solve something. Reloading gives me a feeling of small success and productivity, as well as feeds my prepper/hoarding side of my brain that for obvious reasons, I don't indulge much lol. For me, its a completely different feeling than when I get to shoot guns.

Shooting guns gives me the same feeling I got when I was a kid and broke a board. More of an adrenaline/"thats cool" feeling.

Reactions: fmillik
I suppose most of you guys compete.

Mostly I work on a load until I can get 1/2 MOA, then shoot at a gong up to 1000 meters. If I can hit a gong consistently, it gets pretty dull hitting it over and over again, so I choose a different bullet and start the process over again.

I also have three kids under 7, so I can work on reloading after they are in bed. In the other instance, I have to leave the wife to fend for herself whenever I go out to shoot, which tends to make it a somewhat rushed affair.

@Gustav7 I don’t do ELR as I haven’t been able to find anywhere to shoot beyond 1300 meters in my area, but I suspect that has enough factors to make it more comparable to reloading. However, I am just speculating on that.

@Gustav7 I don’t do ELR as I haven’t been able to find anywhere to shoot beyond 1300 meters in my area, but I suspect that has enough factors to make it more comparable to reloading. However, I am just speculating on that.

I kind of like that they each do something different for me. When I'm bored but don't want to watch tv or be lazy, I got load .38spl or 9mm.. When I'm feeling all Mathy, I review my load books and either load precision rounds or play with variables....

Of course, lets be honest here... I'm still a shooter first. So obviously thats my favorite part. Plus it doesn't hurt to have a 200yd range in my backyard. I shoot my .22 out of my 2nd story office window when I need a break from working on the computer.

I don’t compete.
I just shoot steel in the woods as far as I can.
View attachment 7311192

Also I’m a retard and shoot cartridges that Remington abandoned so I’m forced to reload.

I was rearranging a storage room today and ran across all my obsolete cartridge stuff. I waxed poetic about the bag of lapua 260 brass just sitting there all by its lonesome. Maybe I’ll load A few up and cap them into some distant hillside.

Reactions: Steel head
Yup, we're out here. Reloading is my passion; I shoot mostly just to validate my work. Science, chemistry, engineering, math, ballistics and little bit of fairy dust thrown in. Making each round identical to the next, for me, that's the fun part.

@powerspc Reloading without shooting would be pretty pointless, but I am 37 and have been shooting guns since I was 5. I only got really interested in shooting when I got a reloading press, and now I try to shoot at least 50 rounds a week.

I am currently in the process of putting a switch barrel-type rifle together on a long action so I will have nearly unlimited ability to try out different calibers and cartridges, & all the required reloading work to go along with it. 😆

@powerspc Reloading without shooting would be pretty pointless, but I am 37 and have been shooting guns since I was 5. I only got really interested in shooting when I got a reloading press, and now I try to shoot at least 50 rounds a week.

I am currently in the process of putting a switch barrel-type rifle together on a long action so I will have nearly unlimited ability to try out different calibers and cartridges, & all the required reloading work to go along with it. 😆
I’ve know a few people who preferred tying flies than going fishing with them.

I absolutely dread tying flies but do it because store bought stuff is $$$$$ and I have a few patterns that I’ve found effective that aren’t commercially made.

Good deal, that‘s more or less how I started with a Cadex Kraken in .338LM, .300WM, .308 Win and 6.5CM. Each round presents it own unique set of challenges. Since then I’ve also moved into pistol rounds; 9mm, .45ACP, .45Colt, .357 Mag and .50AE. I just recently added .223 Rem to the mix as well. I agree though, the shooting and chronographing of each shot is essential to the process.

I’ve know a few people who preferred tying flies than going fishing with them.

I absolutely dread tying flies but do it because store bought stuff is $$$$$ and I have a few patterns that I’ve found effective that aren’t commercially made.

Makes sense to me; think about the guys that tune Indy and Formula 1 cars. They don’t drive them, but I’ll bet they get a huge amount of satisfaction in what they do.

Reactions: Mike Hardesty
I like reloading as much as I like shooting. I loaded up my rounds at the range this morning and shot them. It was a blast.

Reactions: Jake the dog

I do. I find it to be very relaxing. Also, the wife leaves me alone when I am in my gun room(y)

I was rearranging a storage room today and ran across all my obsolete cartridge stuff. I waxed poetic about the bag of lapua 260 brass just sitting there all by its lonesome. Maybe I’ll load A few up and cap them into some distant hillside.
8111DCD4-DFB8-49E2-B394-7EFA9FCB1852.jpeg

Mostly I work on a load until I can get 1/2 MOA, then shoot at a gong up to 1000 meters. If I can hit a gong consistently, it gets pretty dull hitting it over and over again, so I choose a different bullet and start the process over again.

I also have three kids under 7, so I can work on reloading after they are in bed. In the other instance, I have to leave the wife to fend for herself whenever I go out to shoot, which tends to make it a somewhat rushed affair.
Hahaha yes.

I have like 5 different 6.5 CM powders and at least as many different bullets.

Bored now...

let's try another caliber and build a new rifle.

That’s all wrong. Once you hit it consistently, you need to move to a new firing position, or change your level of support, or both. Then maybe time yourself for the engagement. Be a good rifleman first.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Supposed to be sustained winds of 20+ tomorrow. Make it happen👍

For the record, I enjoy reloading.

No really, I did load up my rounds at the range. I brought my arbor press, Wilson seater die, powder, primers...
Actually considering this as its a 2hr drive for me to to test a load at distance.

I enjoy reloading and shooting. They're great hobbies. I don't compete, but I am a hunter.

I’m hunter and enjoy the the actual loading part, the brass prep not so much. I do find the terminal performance very interesting.

Don’t get wrong I love shooting and that was the reason I got into this sport but sometimes I find myself going shooting just so I have something to reload.

I think we may be a small group amongst a small group.

I still love shooting Don’t get me wrong. But as I’m getting older I am actually having more fun tuning ammo for people and spotting.

it’s like being the crew chief of a race team. Wish I could turn this into a career

I think we may be a small group amongst a small group.

I still love shooting Don’t get me wrong. But as I’m getting older I am actually having more fun tuning ammo for people and spotting.

it’s like being the crew chief of a race team. Wish I could turn this into a career

I reload for my brother-in-law, my father, and I may have got my nephew a rifle in a new caliber . . . for very good reasons beyond tinkering with a different cartridge.

It takes all kinds.

I enjoy it. My reloading room has always been my man cave so naturally I gravitate there. It’s relaxing. Years ago I got into the terminal performance aspect of it because I was deer hunting a lot. So reloading became more interesting from a different approach. And it does save money. Right.

But I’d much rather be shooting or hunting if given the choice.

It takes all kinds.

I enjoy it. My reloading room has always been my man cave so naturally I gravitate there. It’s relaxing. Years ago I got into the terminal performance aspect of it because I was deer hunting a lot. So reloading became more interesting from a different approach. And it does save money. Right.

But I’d much rather be shooting or hunting if given the choice.
No doubt it saves money for the amount I shoot since I started reloading years ago. It would cost a bigger fortune to shoot the same amount buying ammo... or so I tell myself

I enjoy it about 50/50. Testing the third 10 shot ladder load just pulling the trigger for the Chrono? Not so much.

3gun or shooting a long range challenge is way more fun.

I enjoy working up loads, but it’s the mass production of said loads that I could do without.
Of course I’m a single stage guy that weighs every charge and measure every round after seating. That gets old with pistol ammo, but my ocd won’t let me stop.

I not only reload but cast lead as well. I find the both very therapeutic.

I'd rather reload than eat. During covid, I'm running about a thousand cases through the small-base die, since they've been reloaded so much some of them are getting fat. I'm down to my target weight.

I find that reloading is a great way to "decompress" and just slow down a bit. I don't do huge batches at a time, and I only do it when I feel like it, so yes, I enjoy it. If I had to do it all the time, well, maybe that would be a different story. But the way I do it now, it's enjoyable.

I enjoy working up loads, but it’s the mass production of said loads that I could do without.
Of course I’m a single stage guy that weighs every charge and measure every round after seating. That gets old with pistol ammo, but my ocd won’t let me stop.

Brotherrrrrr you gotta get a Dillon 550 or 750.... they're a godsend for Pistol ammo.

Took me 15 mins last night to change shellplates, toolheads, check all dies for measurement, and swap powder and get my desired charge down for 9mm. Then loaded 200 primers into my primer tubes, and went to town. Loaded 200 rounds in about 30 minutes casually. I check every case for powder, and check 5-10 rounds out of my 100-200 rounds for OAL. 1.125" +/- 0.0015. I'm using 5.0gr of Unique for these. Great shooters, very close to factory loads.

Brotherrrrrr you gotta get a Dillon 550 or 750.... they're a godsend for Pistol ammo.

Took me 15 mins last night to change shellplates, toolheads, check all dies for measurement, and swap powder and get my desired charge down for 9mm. Then loaded 200 primers into my primer tubes, and went to town. Loaded 200 rounds in about 30 minutes casually. I check every case for powder, and check 5-10 rounds out of my 100-200 rounds for OAL. 1.125" +/- 0.0015. I'm using 5.0gr of Unique for these. Great shooters, very close to factory loads.

I have a 650. Similar setup for me. I actually load all the primer tubes in front of the TV or something before I start loading. Usually load 500-1000 at a time. I have the toolheads setup with the dies and powder drop already setup. Like you said, takes 10 min or so for me to get the press ready for a run.

One thing about reloading, there is an opportunity cost to it. But for 9mm specifically, I can't get 147 gr factory ammo with the same recoil impulse as my reloads.

Reactions: Gustav7
I have a 650. Similar setup for me. I actually load all the primer tubes in front of the TV or something before I start loading. Usually load 500-1000 at a time. I have the toolheads setup with the dies and powder drop already setup. Like you said, takes 10 min or so for me to get the press ready for a run.

One thing about reloading, there is an opportunity cost to it. But for 9mm specifically, I can't get 147 gr factory ammo with the same recoil impulse as my reloads.

I currently only have one Lee auto drum so I switch it back and forth between .38spl and 9mm... but I'm getting tired of that so for $45 or whatever they are new, I'll prolly pick up a 2nd soon.

I just bought ~2400 Hi-Tek coated 125grainers for my .38 the other day. $0.05 a bullet from Brazos precision. Wanting to try their 9mm bullets next go round.

What powder and charge are you using for your 147's?

One added benefit of reloading is that I do it sober, so my liver gets a break. This lockdown crap has not helped my drinking habits.

Reactions: pilotjoe