• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading Help Needed

tactserv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2012
New England
OK, so the gun is an older 20" Knight SR-25 with a 11.25" twist. Cases are LC, gentle prepping (trimmed, flash hole debured, shoulder bumped .003" in a Redding Full Length sizing die).
Primers seated with a Sinclair priming tool. Powder is VV N540, primers are Standard Remington. Bullet is a 180 SMK made for the Army Team back in the M14 days. Looks a lot like the 175 or 190.

Started with OCW, got a couple of good groups at around 2675 fps. Made up some 3 shot loadings around the sweet spots and went back to the range to zero in on a good load.

Many of the groups had 2 rounds touching, but the third would be ~2" away from the other 2. All powder charges were weighed on a balance beam. Gun has about 250 rounds through it.

Shooting with a bipod and a buttstock mono pod, with a US Optics scope at 17x.

If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out right now.

Ideas, anyone?

Could be the crown. But it would be of for one round to be consistently off.

I hate suggesting shooter error but it has to be considered. I had issues shooting my rifle when it was new until i realized i was moving my head in between shots and didn't have my parallax set correctly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

OK, so the gun is an older 20" Knight SR-25 with a 11.25" twist. Cases are LC, gentle prepping (trimmed, flash hole debured, shoulder bumped .003" in a Redding Full Length sizing die).
Primers seated with a Sinclair priming tool. Powder is VV N540, primers are Standard Remington. Bullet is a 180 SMK made for the Army Team back in the M14 days. Looks a lot like the 175 or 190.

Started with OCW, got a couple of good groups at around 2675 fps. Made up some 3 shot loadings around the sweet spots and went back to the range to zero in on a good load.

Many of the groups had 2 rounds touching, but the third would be ~2" away from the other 2. All powder charges were weighed on a balance beam. Gun has about 250 rounds through it.

Shooting with a bipod and a buttstock mono pod, with a US Optics scope at 17x.

If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out right now.

Ideas, anyone?

You mention 3 shot loadings, were you loading 3 rds in magazine? Last round out of AR will typically have a different POI then rounds fired while there is some upward pressure from ammo on BCG.

Is your ammo concentric? I took the blame for lots of unexplained flyers over the years, until I got a tool ( Sinclair ), to measure loaded rounds. Lightman

Follow Up:

I'm going back to the range with some factory 175 Federal Gold Medal. Got to convince myself it's not the gun.

Thanks for all the comments.