• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading help

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
Alright guys I have all the components in, the brass primers and varget. I have read and read and read. I am ordering a FOrster Co AX with their dies. The RCBS Chargemaster, and the Hornady vibratory tumbler and Media. The RCBS Universal primer loader.... and Micrometer

I have to set the press up in the garage as that is the only place I can. I live in S. Florida so Humidity is an issue. I do not have a rust issue on anything in the garage now..

But should I put the powder and primers inside the ACed house and only take them out to the garage when i am ready to load bullets

Re: reloading help

Is it necessary? Probably not. Would I? I definitely would. Powder canisters seal themselves up pretty good and probably live in fairly harsh warehouse environments for most of thier lives until delivered to your door, but I'd still take it inside.

My primers and powder stay in a controlled atmosphere environment.

On the extreme side, if you garage will see 120F+ temps for extended times you can end up with the "click bang" ammo that I'm currently pulling apart from left over Pakistani 303 Brit surplus.

It was improperly stored for many years in high temp and has degraded to where I get serious hang fires which I won't risk.

Most likely you won't see any issues, but unless there's some reason you CAN'T store it inside, I would.

Max temps for storage of mil ammo is 135 F, IIRC. One of the best rifleman I know stores his components in his non-climate controlled shop. I keep my stuff inside because that's where the cabinet is.

Powder and primers stay inside,seperated into there own closets.

FWIW, A neighbor of mine recently gave me a bunch of Win 209 shotshell primers that had been stored outside in a shed in hot/humid South Louisiana for the last 15 years and although the boxes were stuck together inside the sleeve, once you opened each pack of 100 they looked pristine and worked just like brand new ones would. Go figure...

Most shotshell primers have a little plastic cover in the hole that keeps powder out of the primer when it's loaded and fired. It may also protect it from the humidity. Rifle and pistol primers arn't sealed the way shotshell primers are.

Scott

Just my thinking but I keep my powder and primers in the house for long term storage. But I don't keep taking them back and forth between climate control to non climate control though. I will take a hundred primers at time and one pound each of the powders that I using and leave them outside until they are used up. It seems to me each time that you rapidly change the temp of the components would be when you would stand the most risk moisture or condensation.

David

All my primers & powder is stored in seperate ammo cans with desicant packs in the house. I only take out what I need for that specific loading session.

Wonder what happens when a container of powder is moved from a cool dry climate to a hot humid environment?

Eddie that's what I was wondering too. That's the reason that once it goes out to the shop it pretty much stays in the shop.