• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading press induced runout?

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    I'm slowly upgrading all of my dies to Redding and Forster, and looking at upgrading my press to a Redding as well. I've been eyeing the Redding T7 as a "seater only" press, since I would be able to set up all of my seating dies and leave them dialed in, but I'm just not sure what effect a turret press would have on runout. For my precision ammo I've only used single stage presses to this point.

Right now I have Dillons for bulk ammo, a RCBS rockchucker that will be used for sizing only if I go this route, and a Lee Classic Cast press that will be only set up for 50 bmg.

I have no problem with runnout with my T7. It's built like a tank and no slop anywhere. Most runnout problems are die related so if your buying Redding or Forester competition dies you shouldn't have any problems

I don't know anything about the Redding T7, so no help there.

On the other hand, for about the same money you could buy a Forster Co-Ax and gain the same ability to leave all your dies set up without having to worry about slop, and you can run an unlimited number of dies instead of being stuck with the finite amount the T7 will alow to be installed in case you end up with more calibers later.

Sorry, I hate when I ask about pork chops and somebody suggests I'd be better off with beef but just throwing it out there. If you're already set on the Redding just disregard.

I have no experience with the co-ax but have heard only good things. I have had or currently have all most all the other brands. The t7 is nice and all redding products are built like tanks. How ever you might want to look at the lee turret press. They make 2 one with the cast handle the other with a solid tube handle. Sorry I can remember the names of the top of my head. The model with solid tube handle is very nice and inexpensive. It uses 4 hole turret plates which are quick change. I have my set up as the lee classic cast for depriming , then I process the brass and install new primers by hand ,then use the lee turret press with each plate set up for each caliber. There is an auto index that you can just deactivate. I will neck size all brass, next load powder charge finale rotate turret to bullet seating. No problems with run out!

I use this process up to 308. It has no problem neck or full length sizing at all!

Bigger then 308 I use the monster redding big boss 2. Which is Huge with lots of torque!

It takes a second to change plates, they are inexpensive and once you set up your dies there is no reason to adjust them when changing the plates.

Good luck with which ever way y

The thing is, run out, as a function within the press itself is; not worth worrying about. Your runout, if you have a problem, will be the shell plate and the seating die, possibly the seating stem? NOT the press. Regardless, single stage or progressive and matters not, which brand. (my opinion)

First, buy a gauge. If you are lucky and buy quality dies, you might not see much run out anyway? I seat my bullets (for use in precision firearms) on an arbor press with Wilson chamber type seating dies. If you do that, you won't need a concentricity gauge because you won't have any measurable run out. BB

The thing is, run out, as a function within the press itself is; not worth worrying about. Your runout, if you have a problem, will be the shell plate and the seating die, possibly the seating stem? NOT the press.......

.....I seat my bullets (for use in precision firearms) on an arbor press with Wilson chamber type seating dies. If you do that, you won't need a concentricity gauge because you won't have any measurable run out. BB

Sooooooo, what's the big deal about an arbor press? I mean, if a press can NOT be responsible for runout, why buy an arbor press?

If you're already chasing press runout, then you must be consistently shooting into the 1's........

I am not chasing press runout. I am investing a good chunk of change into nice redding and forster dies to make accurate ammo, and just want to make sure my new wont be working against that.

The thing is, run out, as a function within the press itself is; not worth worrying about. Your runout, if you have a problem, will be the shell plate and the seating die, possibly the seating stem? NOT the press. Regardless, single stage or progressive and matters not, which brand. (my opinion)

BB

I know it is 'your opinion' --but it's not so. I have a RS3 that I have to shim the dies (every caliber) to get things even close to straight. Not the dies either because the same dies give no problems in my 550B.

Wilson seating dies. K&m arbor press and done. If nothing else it will give you the peace of mind knowing that any issue you have is not runout.

--Daniel

Sooooooo, what's the big deal about an arbor press? I mean, if a press can NOT be responsible for runout, why buy an arbor press?

I'm embarrassed for you, my friend. Yeah, you really caught me talking through my ass!

And, I used to think there is no such thing as a stupid question. BB

Nobody mentions the shell holders when talking presses. Doesn't anybody ever realize that the case "floats" in the shell holder?? If you guys are chasing "run out" in a single stage press and using any major manufacture's shell holder, you are chasing your own tails. I have Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman and Lee shell holders and they are all built the same. They allow the base to move around. That allows the case to line itself up with the dies. Period. If your press if soooo far out of whack that the shell holder can't compensate for it. Then start looking for a new press. Lubing your necks to let those crappy blunt neck sizing buttons (that the green die companies use) slide back thru the neck and not pull it crooked would help.

lte82, we meet twice in the one night ;)
    I own two T7's. I load 338AI, 300 RUM, 300 Win, and 6BR on the presses and although a lot of things can cause runout problems, I was taught and agree with a slight cam over on the T7 being your friend. If one were to look at the spring/ball bearing under the turret, caming over makes certain that the same contact on the turret to body of the press repeats, in that the turret and the press body come in contact, a stop of sorts. Hope I'm explaining this in understandably?
    Secondly, I use redding comp dies exclusively with VLD seating stems lightly polished and can bang out some very accurate ammo.
    As with many things in this "hobby" others may successfully use different techniques/products to get there. Just my .02.

I'm slowly upgrading all of my dies to Redding and Forster, and looking at upgrading my press to a Redding as well. I've been eyeing the Redding T7 as a "seater only" press, since I would be able to set up all of my seating dies and leave them dialed in, but I'm just not sure what effect a turret press would have on runout. For my precision ammo I've only used single stage presses to this point.

Right now I have Dillons for bulk ammo, a RCBS rockchucker that will be used for sizing only if I go this route, and a Lee Classic Cast press that will be only set up for 50 bmg.

Not really necessary in my opinion, FWIW. Dies are the key component. If you leave the shell holder floating then the case can centre in the die anyway.

Similarly a turret press should not have any effect on runout if the case is fully supported in the die, the shell holder can float and the case has some space to move within the shell holder. It should just self centre.

I have only ever used the cheapo Lee press which works fine with Redding and Forster dies. All the press does is raise the case up and down.