• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading question

JonLSU

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
Corpus Christi, TX
I have been reloading for my 308 for a while, but when seating my bullets, I have always just seated to the recommended depth. I was talking to a guy the other day and he suggested seating the bullet just before the lands.
So my question is, In order to do this, is it as simple as starting the bullet at the recommended length and slowly moving the bullet farther out until the bullet starts showing signs of the rifling of the barrel. At that point, back it off just a bit to where there is no marks on the bullet?

Or is there a different way preferred?

Re: reloading question

Take 3 of your cases and a dremel tool or hacksaw blade and cut across the case mouth down the case about 3/16" to 1/4" making like a flat head screwdriver slot in the mouth of the case. Now take sandpaper and clean the burrs off from the cutting of the case mouth inside and out. resize your 3 cases (do this with the prepped brass) (trimmed/chamfered all that stuff you do.) Now take what ever bullet you are going to shot and but it in the case barly make sure it's stright. Feed the case into the chamber. Slow close the bolt. slow open the bolt and remove the case carefully. Do this with all 3 cases and measure them. Then remove the bullets and start over and do it again. Now you have 6 lengths take the aveage of them. This will be the chamber depth to the lands with that bullet profile. Back off that number. The amount you back off will make a differecne make up five to ten rounds at different lenghts (keep everything else the same) and find out want the bullet likes. Sometype like to jump to the lands a little, some like to in the lands a little.

DO THIS WITHOUT A PRIMER!

In most... not all but MOST factory chambers you can't get the rounds long enough to actually make a difference. Custom barrel and chamber is another matter all together.

Victor is right on, factory chambers have a throat from here till next Wednesday. You can load them till they will just go in magazine for rapid fire and a bit longer for slow fire single round loading which you can do the Dremel tool wafer slot cutting also mentioned.
Or you can do as you first said, seat them longer till you see engraving on the ogive and start easing in the seat screw till you don't see the marks any more.
It is also a good idea to get a ogive seating "NUT" from Sinclair so you will know where you need to be from now on.j
Bear in mind on 30 cal the throat advances about .100" per thousand rounds down bore.

JonLST .....

This picture shows the "slotted case" that I use to let my particular rifle show exactly where the rifling begins. As already mentioned ...... most factory rifles have a very long throat.

OAL-3.jpg

The article that explains this procedure can be seen here locate the rifling for your handloads

- Innovative