• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Start up

LongRanger

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2013
My Son in Law to be has taken an interest in reloading and since most of my equipment was purchased in the 1970s I'm not much help when it comes to where to buy or rather who has the best deals. I looked at the kits (RCBS my favorite) on Midway and CTD but Damn, I don't remember it costing anything near what things are going for these days, it's to be expected I guess. I think I paid $35 for my Rock Chucker, new. Any guidance would be appreciated. I tried using GunBot but it took forever to piece meal it and I think a kit would serve him better. I don't have anything against Lyman, Hornady or Lee for that matter it's just the gentleman that taught me was a RCBS fan so all of my equipment is green and it all still works fine.

There is a number of manufacturers who produce high-quality handloading equipment and components. I began by purchasing a "kit" and, as I learned more and became more skilled and proficient, I began to systematically replace one piece of equipment with another of higher quality and precision.

Kits are a good way to start, but if SIL has time, try Craig's List and gunboards to get reloading setups. A guy here in Oregon just let a RL650 go for $500, plus had all the extras for very reasonable prices. That or lose some of yours to him and restock your tool cabinet with what catches your fancy.

Kits are a good way to start, but if SIL has time, try Craig's List and gunboards to get reloading setups. A guy here in Oregon just let a RL650 go for $500, plus had all the extras for very reasonable prices. That or lose some of yours to him and restock your tool cabinet with what catches your fancy.

Good Idea, he has all the time in the world because he's using my stuff more than I do. I could probably sell off some of the dies I no longer reload and pay for a kit for him. Back in the day if I bought a new rifle or pistol I would buy the dies as well, mostly in carbide. I have dies for calibers I don't even remember owning but then they say the memory is the first thing to go.

When I got into reloading I grabbed the RCBS kit. Its a great way to start and its a good value. 40 years ago 1 dollar went a lot further than today.

I started like Bob964, with a kit, and slowly upgraded some things. The problem with a beginner buying used equipment is not knowing much about it, and having your knowledge to call on will solve that problem. Another problem with used equipment is the cost. It holds its value pretty well, and the shortages have driven the prices up even more. Bargains can still be found, they are just scarcer than they once were. I probably would just buy a new kit and add the accessories needed.

They are all good, so there is probably not a wrong choice. I also started with RCBS, have had good service from them, and still use lots of their equipment. Most everyone has their favorites, but it really is a Ford vs Chevy thing.

Check out the bigger supply houses like Midway, MidSouth, Sinclair, and see what they have in stock. Your Sil is lucky to have your experience to call on. Lightman

For whatever its worth, I picked the RCBS kit because it had a balance beam scale and the Hornady kit had a digital scale that didn't get the greatest reviews.

Try Craig's List and gunboards to get reloading setups.

I acquired alot of my "stuff" this way although I haven't seen many Ads lately.

Back around 2006, the "American Classifieds" (used to be the "Thrifty Nickel") paper came out on a Thursday and my Son saw the ad the next Friday morning after we got off work, advertising some reloading stuff for sale. I called the Seller up and was told that he had some people going to come by on Saturday to look at it but it was 1st come, 1st served.......So I headed his way.

He said he had gotten it at an Auction but he didn't realize what he was bidding on. And since he didn't reload, he had no use for it and just wanted to get his money back ($300.00). I didn't even see most of the "Stuff" before almost throwing the $300.00 at him. There was so much "Stuff", I asked him if he was sure $300.00 was enough.

There were 7 storage totes full. I can't remember everything that I ended up with but it included an RCBS Rockchucker and 2 Partner presses, an RCBS powder drop and trickler, a Lyman press and universal trimmer, a Lyman powder drop, 2 Lee handprimers, a Lee 12 gauge LoadAll, some dies, and a crapload of bullets and brass. Plus a bunch of other stuff.

When I got home, the Gentleman called me and said I had missed a box. In it were about 30 cans of powder (about 1/2 not even open). I went back the next day to get it and again offered him more money (I actually offered him another $100.00) but he refused to take it, saying all he wanted was what he had in it.

So there are "Deals" to be found and also alot of decent, honest people out there who aren't trying to rip you off.

Last edited: