• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Steps help

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

I'm relatively new to reloading, I thought I would post my step by step process for fired brass and ask if I'm on the right track or whether I should be be adding or removing anything.

I'm shooting a factory rifle whilst my custom stick is being built, I have a Tikka t3 varmint and a Rem 700 both .308.

This is how I'm currently processing Lapua fired brass:

1. Tumble Brass (to clean necks)
2. Wash Brass To Clean + Inspect (for defects or stuck media)
3. Clean Shell Holder + Dies (use swab + brush)
4. Lube Brass
5. Neck Size + De-Prime Brass (use bushing for 0.02 neck tension)
6. Body Size Brass (chamber brass to set-up die/size to suit chamber)
7. Tumbler Brass (to remove residual lube + clean primer pockets)
8. Wash Brass To Clean + Inspect (for defects or stuck media)
9. Measure And Trim Brass To Uniform Length If Required
10. If Trimmed Chamfer and De-bur Necks
11. Measure Neck Thickness (Sort Accordingly)
12. Clean Primer Pockets
13. Brush Inside Of The Necks With Bronze Brush
14. Prime Brass
15. Charge Brass (look over brass to check)
16. Clean Shell Holder
17. Seat Bullets
18. Check COAL (Measure From Ogive) & Adjust Seating Accordingly

Any input is much appreciated.

Rath

Re: Reloading Steps help

A very complete job I'd say. Much more than I do, but more is better when it comes to reloading.

Damn, I guess I take too many short cuts!
Clean and Polish.
Remove any media with compressed air.
Lube.
Decap,FL size.
Clean Primer pockets.
Prime
Powder(random check after verification of load amount 3x)
Seat Bullet
Wipe off
Shoot
Repeat

Roger that re cigars!

I've two younger brothers who I'm teaching how to reload, hence the "formal" list with bracketed reminders. I'll remove some of the tedious jobs that probably make little or no accuracy difference but I wanted to make sure I'm GTG from a safety point of view first and foremost.

I have wondered about the order of reloading steps. For example I noticed that the vast majority will size and then trim and not vise versa. Any ideas as to why that is?

What do you guys do to prep new Lapua brass? I must say I've been happy with simply priming, charging, seating..ie doing no prep.

Input appreciated

Cheers
Rath

Me personally.

1 Full length size to straiten up the case.I don't worry about neck length and trimming for the first firing because the brass will shrink back a thou or two and I want them as long as possible to Max cartridge length for the second firing,then trim.
2 Tumble and check flash holes.Lapua brass has drilled flash holes and I don't bother deburring the flash holes on them but I will on any other brass.
3 Prime
4 Charge each with powder and double check your work confirming there's a charge in each one.This is assuming I have a load worked up, otherwise I will start low and work up.It sucks going home and pulling bullets because they were to hot!
5 Seat bullets paying attention to seating pressure of each one and set the ones that require noticeably more or less seating pressure aside for sighters.
Check to make sure they fit in the mags before I do a bunch.

Steve

If you trim then resize you'll find your cases will be all different lengths. Full length resize, then trim. The full length resize will put the squeeze on the case.

I add another step between every other reload. Ream the inside of the neck. If you're using hot loads or just loads that run hot - eg my .270 running a 110grn VMax with 47.8grns AR2208 and a magnum primer is putting them out the muzzle at a little over 3300fps.

There was some flow in the brass after the second reload. If no flow there is no loss in brass with the neck ream.

Cheers

Max