• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors reloading suppressed

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
has anyone had this experience. i made a load with some pull down wc 844 it shot 1.5 moa 10 shot group. put my suppressor on it went all over the place 3-4 moa 10 shot group. tried my load with 8208. 1 moa 10 shots . put my suppressor on and not even a poi shift suppressed five shots stayed in the first five shots. for clarity i shot 20 total of the wc 844 load half suppressed half not. i shot 10 of the 8208 load half suppressed and half not. i have shot many rounds of the 8208 before i got my suppressor so i new what to expect. the wc 844 is a new load i was trying.

has anyone had this experience. i made a load with some pull down wc 844 it shot 1.5 moa 10 shot group. put my suppressor on it went all over the place 3-4 moa 10 shot group. tried my load with 8208. 1 moa 10 shots . put my suppressor on and not even a poi shift suppressed five shots stayed in the first five shots. for clarity i shot 20 total of the wc 844 load half suppressed half not. i shot 10 of the 8208 load half suppressed and half not. i have shot many rounds of the 8208 before i got my suppressor so i new what to expect. the wc 844 is a new load i was trying.

Need more info like caliber (assume 5.56) bullet weight, barrel length, muzzle velocity to be able to wildly speculate.

At least you have a powder that works.

Need more info like caliber (assume 5.56) bullet weight, barrel length, muzzle velocity to be able to wildly speculate.

At least you have a powder that works.

wild speculation is all i have to go on as well. other than i will not be loading up any more of that load. 25g wc844 60 grain hornady sp. 18 inch black hole weaponry 5.56 barrel 2850 fps. 25.8 grains 8208 55 sierra hpbt 3000 fps

wild speculation is all i have to go on as well. other than i will not be loading up any more of that load. 25g wc844 60 grain hornady sp. 18 inch black hole weaponry 5.56 barrel 2850 fps. 25.8 grains 8208 55 sierra hpbt 3000 fps

Didn't know many folks still loaded 55 grainers these days.

Didn't know many folks still loaded 55 grainers these days.

number one selling .224 bullet ya i would say people still load them. for 50 to 300 yards the heavy expensive match bullets are kind of a waste. not that i do not see guys plinking away at the 50 meter line with 77 grain match loads. not many coyote hunters using big bullets either. i do not want two holes in the hide

Make sure that your suppressor is mounted properly.

i will have to load some more and try because i am pretty sure it was mounted properly. it is a yhm ss qd 5.56 so mounting is pretty easy and repeatable. but it does seem the most logical explanation considering the next test had opposite outcome of the first with the only difference being the powder and bullet. which if properly loaded should have a negligible difference

Suppressor raises pressure and putting anything on your barrel also changes the harmonics a bit. So it just sounds like with the first load you where either at the edge of an accuracy node or not even in a node.

The second load was obviously in the middle of nice node.... That's why people do OCW for load development, to make all their loads like your second one.

number one selling .224 bullet ya i would say people still load them. for 50 to 300 yards the heavy expensive match bullets are kind of a waste. not that i do not see guys plinking away at the 50 meter line with 77 grain match loads. not many coyote hunters using big bullets either. i do not want two holes in the hide

I guess but my thinking is the number of rifles out there now with super fast rifling would be using the heavier projectiles.

I guess but my thinking is the number of rifles out there now with super fast rifling would be using the heavier projectiles.

fast twist is following the long range and short barrel trend. the 77 sierras i use out to 800 yards and in that range they are flatter than my 308 with 168 or 175s. you need a lot of twist to stabilize a heavy bullet out of a short barrel. but a fast twist for light bullets is fine too. as long as it does not blow the bullets up. i have a 20 inch 1 in 7 yhm barrel that will blow up every varmint bullet i have put through it

Suppressor raises pressure and putting anything on your barrel also changes the harmonics a bit. So it just sounds like with the first load you where either at the edge of an accuracy node or not even in a node.

The second load was obviously in the middle of nice node.... That's why people do OCW for load development, to make all their loads like your second one.

i considered this too. i just thought 1.5 to 3-4 moa is a lot to be the load. i think i went passed the best node on the 8208 load because sometimes on those icey cold mornings it would ftf when i would shoot at my first coyote of the day. the node seemed to be around 25.1

I'm just curious what blowing up a varmint bullet is? I'm guessing your saying your twisting the bullet so fast that it's separating?