• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Relying on your wisdom....Bushnell, Vortex

intrepidtek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hi all,

First off, been lurking here for quite some time and really enjoy all the expertise that is being offered - thanks! I've recently picked up a Rem 5R, .308 w/20in barrell....I just got it back from the gunsmith where he installed Jewell trigger (set at 2#), RAD TAC bottom metal and R&D tactical knob. With that being said, I've been beating my head against a wall trying to settle on a scope. I bought Seekins 34mm rings thinking that the Bushnell G2DMR 3.5-21 was my end goal, but the price tag is a bit hefty, especially now that we have 2 kids in daycare. Don't get me started on that topic....

So, I'm now debating between Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP mil/mil and Bushnell 6-24 FFP with G2 reticle mil/mil (item ET6245FG). This particular model can be picked up about $400 less than the Bushnell 3.5-21. Long story short, would you guys recommend one over the other for shooting paper/steel within 500 yards? Second question, does anyone have any experience regarding the warranties with either company IF you bought the scope used? When I called Bushnell earlier to verify the ET6245FG had an etched reticle (since Midway's site states incorrectly that it's wire), they basically said the warranty was iffy....not sure if the lady was saying what she was obligated to say and they would service it otherwise, but it has me concerned about buying used.

Sorry for the rambling, but I never thought deciding on a scope would be this intense!! :)
Any input is welcome....such as, maybe I just bite the bullet and go with the Bushnell 3.5-21 G2DMR!

I just went through the same process.

I ordered the Vortex PST 6-24 from Sport Optics. VERY good SH discount.

I have both on the way, if you wait a few weeks I will have a review up, I understand there is a no questions asked policy for Vortex and have I have nothing but great experience with Bushnell.

I have the Bushnell. I understand it's a lot of coin. but it is built like a tank and i love the reticle. I know a lot of people love the PST, but I don't have one to compare. There are several reviews of each here if you search.

I have the PST and use it very effectively out to 1k. 500 yards is a breeze with the 6-24 FFP I love everything about it although I wish it was offered with the EBR-2B reticle

People love the Vortex and some love the Bushnell. Both have great CS but you will find more people sending in their Vortex's for repair than the Bushnells. While the Vortex's have more gadgets (illuminated reticle) the Bushnell is bomb proof and has superior trackability.