• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 40X Silhoette Rifle Questions

Guns4570

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2005
Kansas City MO
Ok guys I need a little help understanding what I have here. Its a 40X action as follows: with a Timney trigger adjusted to 2 lbs. action is trued to bolt face, Barrel is Shilen Select Match, stainless steel,sand finished, barrel size is 5.5, taper countour, 24" long and 1-8 Twist rate. Also has a special painted Mcmillan Stock Special Paint, professionally pillar bedded and glass bedded,

Ok the action is old as its clip slotted for strippers. Serial is 34XXXB No safety on it. I am sure it came with one and the guy that built it went w/o one for competion. Not sure if thats legal where I live or not on ranges where they shoot silhoettes yet. Chambered in 6.5x47. So would you have a safety installed? Action may be a repeater and it was plugged to be a single shot. Would you change the bolt because this one is not like a regular 700 action which I am familiar and prefer.
Pic for reference:
pix307627671.jpg

pix010682439.jpg

I welcome comments.

Re: Rem 40X Silhoette Rifle Questions

34,XXX SN should put it around mid 67 manufacture.

If it is clip slotted it came from Remington as a repeater. Will also have a notch cut into rear of front receiver ring for bullet tips to clear if need be. Should be easy to tell if it has something glued in or pinned in to make it easier to load.

Bolts are the same as a 700.

Unless I am missing part of your questions????

SDWhirlwind it has both cuts in the receiver as described. If it was a repeater then they removed the safety for competition purposes then. It could be 67 the bolt knob sure is smaller than a 700 and the handle it longer and sticks out more.

Looks like from the pic you posted of the stock they just left the safety off and didn't inlet stock for it. Surely not uncommon then and even now. Some ranges and competitions require one though and may vary depending on whos rules you must follow whether NRA etc.

Now that you mention knob size and I look at the pic the bolt handle may have been changed or altered. Looks more straight down and not bent back like all 700's and 40-XB's etc. A closeup and better pic would make it easier to see if it were modified for its particular application or for previous owner.

Thats why I am going to see how difficult it would be for one to be put in it just to have my bases covered. I could use a bit more LOP too but being thats a McMillian stock...won't be easy. Gun should be great for getting into popping rams though with a Sigthron 6-24 on top of it.

are you planning on shooting silhouette? also for triggers, Jewell makes a bottom safety that you can drop straight in with little to no stock modifications.

The stock is our old Thumbhole Silhouette stock ( now discontinued) and the finish was called a "Fibergrain" now also discontinued. The "40XB" marked receiver was the 40x repeater action on the 40XB target rifles ( still made today) and were usually in .308 at the time. They weree usually used as iron sight rifles (receiver sight and front globe) permitting the use of stripper clips for rapid reloading between stages or in the courses of fire requiring 10 shot strings.
Nice old typical high end silhouette rifle from the 80's-90's.
Personally I wouldn't mess with it much. If you want/need a safety on a single shot target rifle get a Jewell with a bottom safety.

P.S. If it is the 6.5x47 on the .222 magnum case it was never very popular for silhouette. Low recoll factor for the two match days when you shot 80 shots for record but an occasional low hit would not tip the Rams over at 500 meters. They would just rock back and forth and stay standing. It was overshadowed by the 6.5x.308 ( now the .260 Rem.).

Dick thanks for that update on the stock. This gun is the Lapua 6.5x47 not the one on the 222 mag case. So its hits like a 260 Rem. I may check into that bottom safety Jewell makes if I want or need one. Its a sweet rifle overall. Glad I bought it.

Dick you guys should have kept that Fibergrain finish..I love it. I had a stock for a 10-22 in that finish back in the late 90's. Never should have sold that rifle.