• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 223AI what do I do?

Matthew buck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
Alabama Mobile
I recently picked up a rem 700 sps tactical in .223 AI. It also shoots .223 rem. my question is, is the fact that has been rechambered for AI will this affect my overall accuracy with the standard .223 ammo? I have no means to load the AI rounds so that is not a option? Will I be spinning my wheels trying to turn this into the true tack driver I know it can be or should I just try to trade it for the same gun in regular .223? I am about to start putting some money in it and don't want it to be a waste. Please inform me. Thanks.

Re: Rem 700 223AI what do I do?

Reload or dump the gun for a new one that you would benefit shooting factory ammunition from. You will not get the most out of that rife because you will never have 100% contact with the chamber and will constantly be fire forming brass that you wont use...... On the other hand, that could be good for me;-) just ship me your spent brass

Why not start hand loading?. The .223Al is a great round. The Hornady reloading manual is a great reference to start hand loading.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

I have 100 rounds of once fired brass I can send to you for cheap to get started loading.

Yeah I save my brass and it isn't that I wouldn't want to reload it is that right now I don't have the capabilities or any of the equipment. And Bruno86 up you said the 1 thing I was worried about I have read a little on these forums and know that 100% contact is important and know I don't have that. I think if I could sell it for the price I could buy a new version of the rifle unmodified I would. I really want a 5R in .223 so we will see. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently picked up a rem 700 sps tactical in .223 AI. It also shoots .223 rem. my question is, is the fact that has been rechambered for AI will this affect my overall accuracy with the standard .223 ammo? I have no means to load the AI rounds so that is not a option? Will I be spinning my wheels trying to turn this into the true tack driver I know it can be or should I just try to trade it for the same gun in regular .223? I am about to start putting some money in it and don't want it to be a waste. Please inform me. Thanks. </div></div>

Why did you buy a 223AI knowing that you couldn't load for it but at the same time expecting maximum accuracy while fire forming?

Start reloading. In short order the new reloading equipment will pay for itself and then there are all the many benefits that come with reloading.

Or try to find someone that will trade you strait across for their 223.

No bro, go shoot standard 223 with confidence. Mine are VERY accurate while fireforming. I have killed PDs out to 500 handily with fireform loads. YMMV.

What twist is the barrel? If it is a 12 or 14 twist it is not really worth keeping it an AI. If it is a 9 twist or faster, I would say keep your brass and send it to Copper Creek Cartridge Company and have them reload it for you. Also, if you know the twist, they can sell you already loaded 223AI ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What twist is the barrel? If it is a 12 or 14 twist it is not really worth keeping it an AI. If it is a 9 twist or faster, I would say keep your brass and send it to Copper Creek Cartridge Company and have them reload it for you. Also, if you know the twist, they can sell you already loaded 223AI ammo. </div></div>

That's the best advice I've seen.
The Tactical is a 9 twist, and it <span style="text-decoration: underline">should</span> shoot the 69 SMK just fine.
If you don't load or buy AI ammo, you're wasting the potential of the caliber, and wasting formed brass. Accuracy probably won't be an issue. My AI shoots forming loads wicked accurate.
One other thing, if you decide to load or buy AI ammo, there's a good chance you're going to have problems with the factory magazine. It'll be long enough for the 69 SMK's but the 40 degree shoulder will most likely give you fits on feeding. Then you'll be out the $$ for another mag assembly to correct the feeding problem.

This is all really valuable advice. I didnt buy the gun I picked it up on trade for a few 1700 pelican cases I had laying around the garage. I figured a gun is better than cases and I thought I would unload the gun later for something different, but I made the mistake of shooting it and decided I like it. It hits the bulleye no problem now inside a inch at a 100 yards and I just purchased a HS Precision stock for it. I just wanted to start doing a few things to it to get the full potential out of it at longer distances and wanted to make sure I still could with it being .223 AI. I did not know that you could find people to load for you on the internet. I am looking into that today. Once I move if I like the AI maybe I will try to load it myself who knows. Thanks for all the great info from everyone. This is why I love this forum. There is so much knowledge out there for me to learn from.

Fireforming accuracy is not a weak point in my .223 ai rifle. If anything it runs a little bit slower, but that isn't the end of the world.

You could always pick up a lee hand press and some of their .223 ai dies for very cheap and begin loading your own.

when you say cheap whats the price to get into loading with a hand press and dies and whatever else I need? If you know.

Fireforming loads have been great in my .223AI's so you should be able to get great accuracy. However, if you're not going to reload you might as well trip it......but I'll second all the votes that say start reloading.