• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 5R build

LostTarget

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
www.certacraft.com
Howdy all! I have spent alot of time on the Hide and this is really my first post.

Awhile back me and my dad we talking about what we should do with a nightvision scope he had purchased about a year or two ago and was sitting in our safe. We have had a 700 5R that we purchased about 2 years ago but never saw much use because I had a custom .308 built last year. So with an upcoming Hog Hunt next month we decided to cut up our 700 and make a nice hog hunting piece with it.

I am a machinist by trade and I figured all of the research and reading about gunsmithing I have done, this would be a great project to get started with.

What we did:
-Cut barrel to 17" and threaded end 5/8-24 for brake/supressor
-Machined custom muzzle brake (my interpretation of a Surefire Brake)
-Inletted stock for Badger trigger gaurd
-Machined and installed custom bolt knob
-Cerakote finished stock in OD Green and all other in FDE.

Overall I am very happy with the outcome. I may add a camo pattern to the stock (not sure how well I like the green) but other than that I am happy for a first attempt at a build like this. Definitely learned alot by doing this build and hopefully will be trying my hand at some more builds in the future.

Enjoy!

After Barrel was cut down and Threaded

photo1.jpg

Close up of brake after being machined and installed.

photo3.jpg

Rifle back together, badger DBM fit and custom bolt knob installed. (Has old bushnell scope for test firing installed)

photo11.jpg

Final Product after Cerakote and installing nitevision, stockpack and sling.

photo4.jpg

Re: Rem 700 5R build

Nice work man! I have a 5r that I love shooting and I've been debating on customizing it. After seeing yours I may have to just go ahead with it.

Wow, she cleans up nice. Beautiful rifle, I'm toying with the idea of an oversized bolt knob myself.

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheddar88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, she cleans up nice. Beautiful rifle, I'm toying with the idea of an oversized bolt knob myself.</div></div>

Ever since I put an oversized knob on a 22-250 I had built I have been a huge fan due to ease of operation over the stock knob. Install one and dont look back, you wont regret it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WV shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work man! I have a 5r that I love shooting and I've been debating on customizing it. After seeing yours I may have to just go ahead with it.</div></div>

Do IT!! I always enjoy adding personal flavor to a stock item!

That is very nice, impressive work. Did you do the finishing too?

Both your optics seem to sit really high. Doesn't that bother your natural sight picture?

Nice job LostTarget. A lifetime ago I built some pretty nice cars but haven't had the guts to do any of my own customizations to my rifles. While it can't hold a candle to your machine work you have inspired me to at least have a go at my own stock camo. Let us know how that muzzle brake works.