• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 AAC acurracy

madarcher427

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2014
michigan
I just wanted to know how accurate these rifles are? I know the stock are shit . Trying to decide which way to go , buy the aac or get the 5R. i dont really care for stock or stainless on 5R.

I have an AAC and it shoots pretty good. Sub moa on hand loads. I changed out the stock and trigger. But I never hear any bad on the 5r.

I think it depends on luck of the daw on the AAC...I'm lucky and mine shoots under 1/2 MOA, it's a keeper. My father-in-law purchased the 5R and it's just as good. Either way we both re-stocked and re-triggered the rifles. I went with Manners he went with McMillian.

I had a 20" one in .308 and it shot fine. I still have a stock 16.5" one in .223 and it is about 1/2 moa w/ handloads.

This is my pontificating, but I think the the probability you will get a bad one tends to be overestimated, as a lot of new bolt gun shooters purchase these before they have practiced the fundamentals. I'm not saying the lemons aren't out there, I just think the probability you will get one is extremely low.

This is my pontificating, but I think the the probability you will get a bad one tends to be overestimated, as a lot of new bolt gun shooters purchase these before they have practiced the fundamentals. I'm not saying the lemons aren't out there, I just think the probability you will get one is extremely low.

I would say this is a pretty accurate statement.

I have a AAC 20", shoots under 1/2" with Hornady superformance 168bthp and handloads. Most match ammo is right .75" if I shoot well. I have mine stocked in a AICS and triggered with a Timney.

When I stop blaming my equipment and work on fundamentals my shooting improves immediately. And I save money. Blaming your equipment gets expensive.

With a good stock, the right handload and trigger puller the AAC will shoot great. My best group with it at 100 during load work up was in the .4's CTC. On the average day I can hold right around moa to moa and a half at distances at or under 600... And I now most of that is me battling the wind as my vertical measurements are .3-.5 moa most of the time.

While not a fair comparison my 5r (as it is a ceracote 223 5r) shoots even better at 100 and the build quality is noticeably better. Slicker bolt throw (which maybe due to the coating) and for the first time in 6 R700 the bolt would not close on a nogo gauge... fwiw, the others would not close on field gauges, but it still gives one pause. Also it appears Remington did a better job on rounding corners and removing burrs.

If I was making the choice between the two and didn't need the barrel threaded for a suppressor I'd go 5r... sell the stock and replace it, bed it and replace the trigger with a Timney and call it good.

I too would recommend the 5R mostly because I've had the opportunity to shoot a few of these, and all shot fantastic. What's fantastic?? 3/8 MOA or better in some cases with FGMM 168 ammo. Yes, all were .308s. All these rifles came in to my shop for stock changes, threading, and or shortening of the barrel. Some didn't care for the stainless look, so some just got Cerakoting. Some just wanted a trigger swap. This of course was a few years ago while I had a shop, so I'm just assuming Remington is still producing the same quality 5Rs. That said, the AAC is also a good rifle.

I got a shitty one. 2 moa at best with numerous different handloads, HS precision stock and a jewell trigger. I gave up and re barreled it. Chattered threads, .005" out of concentricity and a piss poor crown. Shoots consistent 3/8 moa now. This is my second dud 700. I'll only custom build from now on.

Yeah to many guys run to the Internet to complain about gear.

My 20 308 way out shoots me with bulk 147gr junk!

The stock isn't even as bad as many say.
Is the stock the weak link after the shooter is 100% sling their part? Sure.
But is it so bad that you will never hit anything with it? Nope.

Figure out exactly what you want to do with the rifle. Then see if that's feasible.

This is pretty standard performance for 700 AAC with factory stock.

2WUwnBO.jpg

This is pretty standard performance for the 700 AAC with a solid after market stock.

4eOuUqP.jpg

I've seen better groups from the rifle used by better marksmen than myself.
These groups were shot about 4 months apart using Priv Part 168gr HPBT.
The only difference other than the time was the stock and my familiarity with the rifle
between when the groups were shot.

Thank you! Nice shooting!

This is pretty standard performance for 700 AAC with factory stock.

2WUwnBO.jpg

This is pretty standard performance for the 700 AAC with a solid after market stock.

4eOuUqP.jpg

I've seen better groups from the rifle used by better marksmen than myself.
These groups were shot about 4 months apart using Priv Part 168gr HPBT.
The only difference other than the time was the stock and my familiarity with the rifle
between when the groups were shot.

Most of them shoot 1 Moa or a little more with the factory stock with 175 fgmm. Dump the stock and use hand loads and you can get it down to .7 Moa or so. I still have the factory trigger, it seems to work fine for me.

I put mine in a cheap Boyds thumbhole stock, oem trigger, with reloads I use in my 26 in 1/12 twist 700. 3 holes Damn near touching each other at 300 yards. And that was the first time using it. No issues with mine. Well other than having 3 700s now. Shooting fundamentals for the win Alex.

Love my 5r. I have had it for about 5 years now. I don't care much for the stainless either and it is getting ready to make a trip to short action customs to be cerakoted. It has an over sized bolt knob, timney flat trigger, and sits in a manners t4-a with mini chassis.

FWIW to anyone reading this comparison between the AAC and the 5R, I would like to throw another rifle in the mix that is at the price point or less of the AAC and in my experience shoots as good as the 5R typical performance. Remington produces a rem 700 in a 20", fluted (3 wide flutes like the LTR), 1:10 twist with the SPS varmint stock (stock #85471 and #85470 - threaded version). This are advertised a limited run through Lewis Horton. They call it a SPS LT Tactical. You can find them on Gunbroker (or could) pretty regular; new in box.
I bought one as a budget entry level gun. It shot well under MOA straight from the box. I later bedded it in a HS precision stock looking for more accuracy and to learn. From there it shot about 1/2-5/8 MOA. In this configuration it would put groups under a 1/2" from time to time. All factory FFMM ammo 168 gr. I photoed many groups as I was really impressed.
About a year or so later still with no real experience and wanting more, I stupidly sold this gun to help fund a full custom build. I had the custom built and found it shoot the same, maybe a hair better than the Rem 700 85471. Now, I know I could have gotten lucky and picked up a shooter from the bunch, but this was a damn good rifle and would shoot almost anything well. I liked the 1:10 twist for a little more versatility with bullet weights.
I wish I could have that gun back as it performs well beyond its value. This is just my experience with this one gun of this model. I have a full custom clone, a trued 700 custom barrel, shot a couple of 5R's, normal ADL and BDL versions, and the SPS LT tactical. The 85471 is up on the list.

Last edited:
I've had my 5r for over a year and love it. I dropped it in a McRee chassis with a Timney flat trigger and a bolt knob by PCR. I like the stainless but I'm considering cerakoting it. If you don't dig the stainless on the 5r or the HS stock (which I didn't like at all), you could buy the AAC for $400-500 less and use that savings to buy a B&C M40 stock and have your AAC cerakoted. Or, put that money towards another stock or chassis. That much coin covers most of a McRee or XLR Element.

I have a .308 AAC-SD in an AICS. I can shoot it .75-.5 MOA all day. It does about .25 MOA with a more experienced shooter driving it.