Gunsmithing  Rem 700 bottom safety conversion?

ccf460

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
North Carolina
I just dropped my pre 2006 700 la into an aics 1.5. I am not liking the awkward reach to the safety, has anybody converted the factory trigger mechanism to a bottom safety as on the the jewell? Looks to be a simple lever change?

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Oriental, North Carolina
Re: Rem 700 bottom safety conversion?

There isn't a replacement lever out there I'm aware of but with a little cutting and welding one could be fashioned using the existing lever as a starting point.

ccf460

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
North Carolina

Have you ever seen it done, do you add onto the existing mechanism , or build a new linkage like on the jewell that comes with the botoom safety.

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Oriental, North Carolina

I've never seen it done. I would add a piece coming off the existing safety lever. There's no way I would attempt to fabricate a completely new lever. Way too many critical dimensions. A good TIG guy could easily weld a piece on without compromising the heat treat of the lever. Take a piece of cardboard and start trying different shapes. It won't take you long to figure it out.

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI

Seems the easier route is to just get the jewell trigger w bottom safety

Dans40X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2007
Fbks,Alaska.
www.accu-tig.com

A double pivot bell crank lever will need to be fabricated as per a Jewell.
Simply cutting/welding the existing lever to a bottom configuration will detent the lever in reverse.
Lever to rear-Fire position.
Lever forward-Safe position.

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Oriental, North Carolina

Dan your correct but that's just a learned behavior.

In fact I could see that being an advantage in adverse conditions.

ccf460

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
North Carolina

I was looking at it this morning , and also concerned about rear pull to disengage the safety. I need to submit more info on this topic: I am a lefty, so not only is it an awkward reach on the aics, it is on the wrong side. I am thinking either putting the lever behind/beside the trigger to prevent accidental pulling of the trigger while releasing the safety, or trying to put a left hand safety on the right hand action to at least get it on the correct side?Not sure if it is a direct fit,( other than having to mill a flat on the left side of the rear tang to provide a flat for it to ride in), or if there are other differences on the bottom of the action between rights and lefts.