• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 bottom safety conversion?

ccf460

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
North Carolina
I just dropped my pre 2006 700 la into an aics 1.5. I am not liking the awkward reach to the safety, has anybody converted the factory trigger mechanism to a bottom safety as on the the jewell? Looks to be a simple lever change?

Re: Rem 700 bottom safety conversion?

There isn't a replacement lever out there I'm aware of but with a little cutting and welding one could be fashioned using the existing lever as a starting point.

Have you ever seen it done, do you add onto the existing mechanism , or build a new linkage like on the jewell that comes with the botoom safety.

I've never seen it done. I would add a piece coming off the existing safety lever. There's no way I would attempt to fabricate a completely new lever. Way too many critical dimensions. A good TIG guy could easily weld a piece on without compromising the heat treat of the lever. Take a piece of cardboard and start trying different shapes. It won't take you long to figure it out.

Seems the easier route is to just get the jewell trigger w bottom safety

A double pivot bell crank lever will need to be fabricated as per a Jewell.
Simply cutting/welding the existing lever to a bottom configuration will detent the lever in reverse.
Lever to rear-Fire position.
Lever forward-Safe position.

Dan your correct but that's just a learned behavior.

In fact I could see that being an advantage in adverse conditions.

I was looking at it this morning , and also concerned about rear pull to disengage the safety. I need to submit more info on this topic: I am a lefty, so not only is it an awkward reach on the aics, it is on the wrong side. I am thinking either putting the lever behind/beside the trigger to prevent accidental pulling of the trigger while releasing the safety, or trying to put a left hand safety on the right hand action to at least get it on the correct side?Not sure if it is a direct fit,( other than having to mill a flat on the left side of the rear tang to provide a flat for it to ride in), or if there are other differences on the bottom of the action between rights and lefts.