• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem 700 firing pin/bolt problem

tsquared

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Im not sure where this belongs so if this needs to be moved feel free.

While shooting a match this afternoon I had a malfunction I've never seen or heard about before.  After about 30 rds for record, i found that when i went to throw the bolt the firing pin remained in the fired position.   I ran the bolt a few times but the firing pin would not go into the proper firing position.

After running the bolt rapidly a few more times the firing pin returned to normal operations and I was able to finish the match (another 30 rds)

The gun only has had 720 rds thru it.   I took the bolt apart after the match and wiped the firing pin and spring down and shoot some cleaner into the inside of the bolt.

If any one knows what's going on and how to correct it I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks

Re: Rem 700 firing pin/bolt problem

Sounds like the trigger has been adjusted a bit too much. That will not allow the sear to reset. Either that or the trigger was gunked up.

The rifle was build by GAP. It's possible it's an adjustment issue but I doubt it.

Anything special about cleaning the trigger assembly? Can it just be sprayed down with brake cleaner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tsquared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle was build by GAP. It's possible it's an adjustment issue but I doubt it.

Anything special about cleaning the trigger assembly? Can it just be sprayed down with brake cleaner? </div></div>

spray it down with zipo fluid, let it air dry and done, no lube needed

X2 on the trigger malf - my 700 did this when I got some "range glitter" in the trigger assembly... lighter fluid and back in action..

Guys - thanks for the info. I'll add trigger group cleaning with lighter fluid to my regular maintenance schedule.

Regards