• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem 700 MLR 338 Lapua

pwrstrkd

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
Just a quick overview of my new purchase, which im not thrilled about, although I have not shot it yet. The stock feels somewhat cheap and cardboard like. There is more space/room on one side between the stock and barrel, as if they improperly torked the action screws at the factory. The bolt is stiff to get in to the chamber. Is this normal on the rifles with this chambering? Its as if the lugs on the end of the bolt are binding slightly with the chamber. The sling studs are crooked and need to be adjusted. And the mag has some decent wobble to it. Nothing major wrong but a lot of little things I wouldnt expect from a $1800 rifle. Remington needs to step up their quality control big time. Once I shoot it, I will write up my full opinion but I am a little disapointed in the quality so far.

Re: Rem 700 MLR 338 Lapua

Give it a chance...I have one of these rifles and it is a shooter.

Put some rounds down range and my guess is that you'll soon be loving it!

Best of luck and go shoot.

PS---Welcome to the Hide!
wink.gif

I wasn't super impressed by mine, but it wasn't really the fit/finish, or any one particular thing...

My grievances with it:

1. Barrel too short
2. Ineffective brake
3. Tiny/lame extractor (no real estate on the bolthead because the casehead is huge)
4. Weak ejection (cartridges barely dribbled out - but did always eject)
5. Expensive magazines
6. Stock didn't fit me very well
7. The finish LOVES to rust.
8. Typical lame Remington trigger and strange bolt release

For an entry level 338, I think its a pretty good value. The recoil on mine was too much, and I was flinching/jerking the trigger, but still got 1 moa (ish) groups - pretty sure it was a "shooter".

All of the issues were small in and of themselves, and all addressable, but I didn't want to restock and rebrake just to get rolling with it. My partner has one, after putting about 100 rounds through, he sent it off to SAC for a full rework with 29" Bartlein, McM A5, fat bastard, truing, trigger etc etc.. so he's probably $4k deep in a Remington 700 338.... I think my strategy was better: sold my Remington for about what I had in it, and bought a used/nicely accessorized TRG42 for $2750... helluva rifle. Only downside it shares with the Remington is expensive magazines.

That was my first/only Remington, and honestly, it reinforced my love of Savage. Comparing the two, both for ~$1800, the Savage comes equipped better, at least for me. A better stock, longer barrel, better finish, and better brake.

man put a better brake on it and shoot it. the factory brake suuucks if you shoot prone you will be in a dust storm after that first shot. i put mine in a AICS 2.0 and i love it. a jp enterprises brake is what i have and it works great. i also had an ejection problem with hornady brass, since then i have started shooting lapua brass and bingo no more problems. mine will shoot .75 to .5 at 100 yds with 300gr scenars and 92.2gr of H1000. that is when i dont flinch from the blast lol

your crazy to think that for $1800 you could buy a gun worth shooting? A surgeon XL action costs that alone. You pay for what you get.

wow first post and you rant about the purchase you made. i think i would have done more research and handling before i purchased a rifle for that kind of money. sell it and build a 3k custom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My partner has one, after putting about 100 rounds through, he sent it off to SAC for a full rework with 29" Bartlein, McM A5, fat bastard, truing, trigger etc etc.. so he's probably $4k deep in a Remington 700 338.... I think my strategy was better: sold my Remington for about what I had in it, and bought a used/nicely accessorized TRG42 for $2750... helluva rifle. Only downside it shares with the Remington is expensive magazines.</div></div>

next time, i guess you can sidestep all the cheap stuff and just build a custom around a surgeon 1581XL and save yourselves lots of "i wish i had done this" </div></div>

Or just buy an AW338 or AX338 and be done with it.