• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS 30-06 heavy barrel

3006spokane

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
North Spokane, WA
First I'll introduce myself as this is my first post.

My name is Mike. I'm from Spokane, WA. This forum by far exceeds what I have found for information on sniper central, so thank you to all of you for contributing your info.

Now on to the reason I'm posting....

I have a 700 SPS chambered in 30-06. I originally wanted the 700 SPS tactical but when Cabela's screwed up by putting the tag from a used gun I was paying for on this brand new SPS I couldn't help but hold them to the price they had on the rifle, which was $175 cheaper than it should have been.

So beings that I now have the 30-06 variant I am looking to upgrade some parts and accessorize and must say I am having some trouble. In its current state the rifle is stock outside of the optic. I currently have a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 but have just purchased a Barska Swat 10-40x50 for it so I can start to make better use of the rifles range. I have also recently purchased the Kwik Klip conversion for the rifle as well.

I love the accuracy of this rifle but I know it can improve. I have been searching for heavy barrels with no success.

Are any of you aware as to the availability of a heavy barrel for the 30-06 700?

Re: Rem 700 SPS 30-06 heavy barrel

I have never seen a SPS 30-06 Heavy Barrel, but I haven't seen lots of stuff people have on here. I would buy a heavy 308 take off, have it put on, and shoot it. When, if, your groups open up have it rechambered to 30-06.

keep it 06, test load till you find the right load and have fun. my opinion

Welcome to the hide and to a wonderful way of being able to burn a hole in your wallet. There are tons of aftermarket barrel manufacturers out there who will make a quality barrel that you can have chambered and installed on your '06. Your best bet is to grab up several cups of coffee/bottles of beer and start searching and reading the forums here, there is a ton of info on the subject that you are looking for. Just be forewarned that it is easy to spend a lot of money getting your rifle where you want it to be, even more when quality parts are used.

I hope life is Spokane is doing well for you, I graduated from Mead back in '97.

Thanks for the responses.

I'd ultimately like to keep this rifle the in the 06 camber because my intent is to still get the SPS tactical in 308 as well. I like the round beings that it has some more punch than the 308 but isn't getting into the 300 mag range and its enough to take down an elk, which is the primary purpose for this particular rifle.

I guess I'll just start contacting some of the barrel manufactures about a custom job. I was just hoping to get lucky enough to find a prefab ready for purchase barrel. Like the saying goes "Ya gotta pay to play"
laugh.gif

Spokane is good. Been warm but hunting season is just around the corner so all is well.

Contact any of the top gunsmiths highlighted here on this sight and they'll give you the run down of what it takes to re-barrel your rifle. You'll have to bring it to a gunsmith to do it anyway. I did the EXACT same thing with my 700sps in .30-06 as you're looking to do and love the end result.

Also, welcome to the Hide!

Reactions: kenny.breeding

I have the Kwik Klip and love it. Found it a local store on clearance for $40 bucks! Have fun with the build!