• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS 308 AAC SD Re stock

Why1504

Minuteman
Jul 4, 2011
Southeast US
I have a bone stock Remington 700 I would like to restock myself. I have built several AR's and built up a precision 10-22 Ruger. At this point I need to keep the stock cost down under $300 unless this would be a waste of time. I would like to get a used stock but I don't have the experience to know what I am buying. Can you guys offer any opinions on what I should buy. Also, are there other upgrades I should be considering? Should I wait until I have the funds to do it all or can I do it a bit at a time?

THANKS!!!!

I did it the way you're doing it. Started with the bone stock rifle and workable optics. First thing I got was some bipod and rear bag. I didn't think the stock stock was ideal, but I was still the weak and changing it out didn't make that much difference.

Most on here will tell you the same thing, research a ton then save up for what you want. You'll end up spending more than you want to spend, but you won't regret it in the long run.

The factory Hogue is a dog pile...but you might find it works. If it doesn't, you can try the 8541 Tactical 'coke can shim' mod.

For a value replacement, I'd highly recommend a Bell & Carlson Medalist, M40 or Light Tactical/A3 flavor. I had a M40 Medalist on a 16.5" 700 and really liked it, if they made them for Savages I'd own a handful of them.

Red Hawk Rifles is likely the best price you'll find on the net.

To make the Hogue stock workable until you can afford a new one, this what I did.

Even before putting on the Harris bipod, the barrel started touching the stock near the front of the stock which will throw off the harmonics and accuracy. In order to make the Hogue stock workable, remove the the stock. Get 1/2" pvc pipe about 12" long and some sand paper, wrap it around the pvc and work the inside of the stock along the barrel length to give a bit more room. The bottom was ok, but the sides need just a bit more clearance. You need a bit more room then just being able to slide a piece a paper along the barrel.

Get the out a dremel tool with the mini sander and work the front of the stock. Clean up the dremel work with some 150 grit sand paper and your done. I only had to take off about 1/8" at the front so it didn't touch when under strain. I started slow and fitted the barrel and action 3 times before it fit without touching under strain. Make sure the barrel is completely free floating.
This whole process took about 1/2 hour.

Last edited:
Put a HS Precision stock on mine, love it.

IMG_0301_zps94123817.jpg

Before I switched to a McRee I had(have) an HS stock. The one thing I just could not get used to was the palm swell.
Even without bedding it, it was very capable, even in my novice hands

I've had Hs P's , Bell and Carlson , blah blah blah. For the $ , you can't go wrong with a # 2965 B&C light tactical. Very well made, more comfortable to me than HS and the hook gives you superb control on a rear bag shooting prone. Also it's light enough to hunt with and carry around.

We installed ours in an AICS 1.5 non folder. Then added a Timney 517 trigger. Now we have a shooter for sure. Working on handloads now because the 3.254" chamber is way out there. The AICS mag is 2.91 long on the inside. So for mag fed ammo we are staying between 2.885 and 2.90 on our OAL. Using 175 grn SMK on 44 grns of BLc-2.

Do a search here for the MDT LSS. It can be had for around $290. Has DBM out of the gate, then you add a buffer tube and AR stock ( Which you should already have).

Put a HS Precision stock on mine, love it.

IMG_0301_zps94123817.jpg

I have this same stock left over from a 700 Varmint gun. It is mint. You can have it for free if you want. Let me know.

Edit: Not the same color. The stock I have is black with a grey web.

Last edited:
wow now thats a deal right there!^^ If he doesn't take you up on that I sure will.

I have a bone stock Remington 700 I would like to restock myself. I have built several AR's and built up a precision 10-22 Ruger. At this point I need to keep the stock cost down under $300 unless this would be a waste of time. I would like to get a used stock but I don't have the experience to know what I am buying. Can you guys offer any opinions on what I should buy. Also, are there other upgrades I should be considering? Should I wait until I have the funds to do it all or can I do it a bit at a time?

THANKS!!!!

Dude. Last chance to score that HS stock on the arm. Let me know. Other guys are interested.