• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD or Savage Precision Carbine

skeeter355

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Looking for an all around precision platform with future upgradability. Both of these have 20" threaded barrels, not sure the pro/cons between the accu-trigger and X-Mark Pro trigger. Haven't heard much positive about the Hogue stock so positive would be towards Savage's Accustock. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Re: Rem 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD or Savage Precision Carbine

They are fairly similar rifles as far as I can see, the Savage has their factory DBM which is nice. The Savage stock may be ok but in the end its possible that you could just end up replacing it as well. The big difference as far as I can tell would be if you wanted to have a smith do any work for you or would you like to do it yourself? If you want to do the work (swapping barrels, etc.) then I would pick the savage however both already have decent barrels on them.

I think it is mostly just a personal preference. I am a Savage fan but it all comes you. If you want to do the work yourself I would go with the Savage. Hope my rambling somewhat helped.

I just went through that same decision making processes myself. The Savage PC ended up winning out of those two choices, for me. I didn't let the "but it's a Remington" sway me either. But I also wasn't looking to upgrade 1/2 the rifle straight out of the box.

It seemed like an easy choice once I started comparing the two.
-Stock, Savage takes the win with the Accustock. It may not be the best, but at least it's usable to start. Not really so with the Hogue.
-Trigger, Again, Savage's trigger may not be everyone's favorite but it seems much more usable than the Remy's.
-DBM, Savage, Remington does not come with one.
-Better out of the box accuracy? I guess that's to be seen, but the Savage seems to win out here more often than not too. And for 1/3 the $$ of some of it's competion.
Comparing those few features, it seems they aren't really too comparable after all. It'll take another $600+ just to get out of the Remington what already comes with he Savage.

Now I know that the Savage isn't as glamorous as the Remington. Not by the way people seem to croon over the Remington, but who cares. I bought my 10 PC to shoot the hell out of. When I out shoot it or wear it out, then I'll look at something custom. And if I do choose to change things, at least I can do it myself.

Savage makes a much better rifle all around at this level.

Out of the box the Savage hands down. If you plan on stocks, triggers, and other custom parts think remington. Not many replacement stocks for a accu-stock savage. Truing a action on a Remington is done by a lot more smiths. If dreams are leaning toward a true custom one day go Remington. That Savage I would leave alone see what ammo it likes and shoot the heck out it.

Okay so far Savage! What magazines can you use with the DBM? Savage only? Or are there other companies that make higher round mags?

Skeeter

z71rat makes mag for factory bm.

i have a few R700's and about twice as many savages... both are fun.

2ac

Your link didn't work.

Skeeter

Hmm, works for me. It's a link to z71rat's magazine mods. Just search for rat mags. He's one of the reasons I went the Savage route.

I have a AAC-SD and I like it alot. I think you'll be satisfied with either. If you do ever get into fixing it up, the Remmy will have aftermarket support.

Sorry to disappoint the savage fanboys but the AAC-SD is a better rifle because of trigger alone. The accutrigger is garbage and the only replacement is a rifle basix which isn't much better. The factory trigger on the AAC is far from the best out there but its a more reliable trigger than the accutrigger and the aftermarket options are endless.

The stocks on both are pretty bad and there is more stuff for the remington. The bottom metal on the savage is also junk and theres nowhere near as money aftermarket options for the savage as the remington. The remington also comes with a alluminum bottom metal which is decent quality.

The two AAC's I've sampled both shot half minute or better in good stocks. The one savage PC I've shot was 3/4moa and that seems to be the norm.

I own an SPS tactical in .223, I have used a .308 10PC in a week long basic course.

As far as the DBM on the savage, horseshit. It works very well, I had ZERO issues with it.

Trigger? Really a toss up. Neither one is outstanding, neither one is terrible. They both do the job they are supposed to do. The accu-trigger is almost a love/hate deal. I don't let things like that bother me.

Accuracy. It's a wash.

Stock? The accustock is a good stock. Not as good as an HS Precision or B&C (depending on model), but it is a good stock nonetheless. A little thin in the wrist for my taste, but functional.
We all know the hogue is not a very good stock.

You specifically stated upgrade ability.

To me, that says remington.
Can a Savage be upgraded?
Of course it can. The best way to get the most accuracy out of it is to do away with the barrel nut. You are more limited on stock choices, though there are excellent one available.

Bolt lift on a savage sucks, the action feels "tinny" to me. But the damn things can shoot and shoot very well.

The SPS tactical is no longer the deal it used to be. They have gone up close to 100 bucks in price. You still need to replace the stock. Many of them have problems feeding from the internal mag. (both my sps and my 5R had this problem).

Both should shoot just fine.
If you don't mind ponying up for a stock immediately, the remington would suit you just fine.
If you want to mount a scope and shoot, buy the savage.

Its Ford vs Chevy...always will be. I am a Savage guy, I think in this case the Savage would most likely be the better choice.

Looks like z71rat's mags are the way to go for the Savage. What aftermarket stock would you suggest for the Savage? Same for the Remington.

Fdkay: What is wrong with the barrel nut? Aren't the new Savages coming with a more streamlined barrel nut these days?

Are there drop in kits for the Remington bottom metal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeter355</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like z71rat's mags are the way to go for the Savage. What aftermarket stock would you suggest for the Savage? Same for the Remington.

Fdkay: What is wrong with the barrel nut? Aren't the new Savages coming with a more streamlined barrel nut these days?

</div></div>

HS Precision, Manners, McMillan are some that come to mind for Savage. There's a couple chassis systems out there as well. With the Remington, well the list is pretty much endless. HS Precision has a drop in kit for the factory cut. Most stock companies can cut their stocks for a m5 pattern trigger guard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeeter355</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like z71rat's mags are the way to go for the Savage. What aftermarket stock would you suggest for the Savage? Same for the Remington.

</div></div>

As far as stocks go it depends on your budget and likes. If you want a stock Mcmillan or Manners are top of the line and the best options. If budget is a factor B&C, HS Precision and Choate have decent stocks. (I have a Choate Tactical on my Savage and like it very well, would prefer a Manners though)

There all also Chassis for both Savage and Remington. (XLR, Mcree, JP, AI)

I think Surgeon makes a drop in bottom metal for the remington, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Hope this helps!

The Savage trigger sucks and so does the Remington. Neither is "more usable" out of the box. Both will make the firing pin strike the primer. Its up to the shooter to control it. Both can be tinkered with and improved.

The stock on the Savage sucks and so does the Hogue on the Remington. Neither is "more usable" out of the box. Both hold the action and act as an interface between the shooter and the rifle. I've seen descent accuracy from both. My AAC-SD shot .75 MOA over six five round groups out of the box. Neither stock is comfortable for me out of the box. That's up to the individual, though.

The DBM on the Savage sucks. The Remington doesn't even have one. Do you need one and don't plan to upgrade the stock, then you'll want the Savage. If you don't have a "need" or plan to upgrade anything on the rifle, then disregard it. Far as feeding issues on 700s, its an easy fix that you can search this forum for. If you have basic mechanical skills you can do it yourself. Some have the issue, some do not.

Savage a better value? The Remington needs $600 in upgrades to be equal? That's the biggest fallacy I've seen on here all day. That's garbage logic. Both guns are similarly priced. What it comes down to is personal preference and what you ultimately intend to do with the gun. Personally, I hate the way Savage actions feel, I hate the triggers, and I like several options unavailable to Savage.

My ultimate suggestion for a 700 would be pick a chassis system for it that will have the DBM built in. I prefer the Manners mini-chassis and like the vertical grip with a thumb-shelf. Some folks like the AICS. Both are drop-in and don't require bedding. There are others available.

</div></div>

There is nothing wrong with the barrel nut, but if you look at the top tier builders that actually work on savages, they don't use the barrel nut for accuracy builds.

IF and I say IF you have that type of work done, you might as well get the remington because you just removed the primary advantage of the savage.
On the other hand, you could just buy a Howa 20" HB varmint and get an action that comes true from the factory, has an excellent trigger and a one piece bolt. All of which you would have to pay for after the fact with a remington.
It only lacks the threaded barrel.

Howa's aren't true from the factory...at least mine wasn't.

I'm with the folks who say both guns are pretty comparable. They're both built to a price point. The stocks on them are cheap. They can both be improved with an aftermarket trigger.

The 700 seems to have more readily-available aftermarket options.

FWIW, I've got the Savage 10 PC. It shoots fine for what I use it for. If I wanted a true long range rifle, it would not be my first choice without a better stock.

I love my sps tactical. Then again the first thing I did was put stock on it. Great gun. Pick them up and shoulder them. See which one feels better for you.

I am debating between these 2 rifles now. I am leaning toward the Remington because I can get it a tad cheaper and a friend will give me a Remington 700P stock that he pulled off when he bought a McMillan. If I didn't have access to that stock for free I think I'd go with the 10PC as it least it's stock appears to keep the barrel free floated with a bipod unlike the Hogue, and the DBM is a plus.

having built a $2000+ savage, and building a 700 now, i would suggest this if u want to build your self..

get a 700 and timmney and a rem-age bbl with savage bbl nut to re barrel your self

I just took my Rem 700 AAC out to 600 this weekend... After shooting 40 rounds at 300yards, only leaving me 10 left, took me 7 shots to get dialed in, so only a 3 shot group which I know doesnt count, but it was still 1/2MOA. I know with 2 more shots, it would have gone out to 3/4, but still, i was happy as could be. Rem700 AAC, AICS 1.5, Timney 510, 168AMAX 44.0 RL15 at 2.815". My R700 keeps getting better and better I think.

308+168Amax+44.0RL15+600Yards.jpg