• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 sps throat lengh, how long is too long?

john_1182

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
australia, victoria
im currently loading up a .308 for a friend with a 165 sierra gameking projectiles and i have a max OAL of 2.980 (just touching the lands), but the bullet is only seated aprox .010 into the case. so thats seated a extra .180 of a inch past mag length.

if i load at mag length will the jump of .180 be too much? is there such a thing as too much of a jump to the lands?

Re: rem 700 sps throat lengh, how long is too long?

Most precision shooters prefer to be closer to the lands but it isn't a requirement. One of my rifles shoots great touching the lands or with the same combo at .120 jump and shoots poorly (relatively) anywhere in between.

If .180 jump shoots well then go ahead. It is better than single loading rounds or having rounds barely seated in the brass IMO.

Have you tried heavier projectiles with different ogives that may work better in that rifle?

this is a projectile i got in bulk (1000) and cheap, so he is just buying them off of me.. is there a point where it becomes to dangerous with a shallow seating depth, or it its seated its seated ..

im only asking the dumb questions because im doing the load development for him and last thing i want in the future is something to go bang in the wrong way.

I found a accuracy node in my 700P at .092 off the lands using the 175gr. berger vld. My lands are at 2.327 at the o-give.

Jake

All of them have way too much throat, AFIC.

Saw one the 155s were literally barely in the case if "seated" out to be something like .05 off the lands, IIRC. One local benchrester declined to turn back the barrel one thread because he felt the barrel contour started getting skinny too close to the barrel shoulder.

Anyone want to buy a lightly-used .308 barrel for re-chambering to '06 or something like that???

So, it's a tack-driving Creedmoor now.

If you are okay with 1.5 MOA performance, don't worry about the jump and just load them to .05 or so short of the mag length.

How long is too long?

If mag length is not a problem, then too long is the seating depth that starts to compromise the physical stability of a loaded round... ie, the projectiles are barely seated and can easily fall apart.

That being said, I load my 155 Scenars pretty long 2.935 OAl however im sure theres others out there that load longer. With this setup im 0.015 away from the lands and achieve good groups with 46.6 of Varget.

I have found these projectiles to be somewhat picky about seating depth.

If too long is defined by your mag length then I guess that will be your answer.